MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Anyone using the Plan B Model 23 or Model 39?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Anyone using the Plan B Model 23 or Model 39?
jonkull
I have 6 HP of space left in my rack and I'm trying to decide on what to fill it with. I've been looking at the Model 23 Analog Shift Register and the Model 39 Wave Splicer. Anyone have either of these in their setup and care to comment on their usefulness (yes this is subjective but I'm looking for opinions)?
felix
I rather like the M23 ASR although I don't use it *a lot*.

I personally find it most useful to "distribute" a voltage to 4 different destinations. For example, I'll feed an LFO into its Sample input and then connect each output to one of the PWM/PPM inputs on an AFG.

It of course also works as a Sample + Hold.

I find it's a very cool an unique module, but not one that I use in every patch, sometimes not even in every other patch. If you only have a pair of oscillators (or even just one), the wave splicer might be more fun/useful as it will add more sonic capabilities to those .
jonkull
Well right now I have:

2 x AFG
1 x Dalek
1 x Vulcan
1 x Frequensteiner
1 x Dual Bissell
1 x Model 24 Heisneberg
1 x Model 31 Buffered Multiple
2 x A140 ADSRs
1 x A131 VCA
1 x A138 Mixer

I blame this on you and your videos of course. wink

I think with the 2 AFGs that the Wave Splicer probably isn't needed but I still like what it does. I *think* I'd use the ASR more but maybe not. It's hard to say without buying it and trying it out. Outside of multiples, another LFO or ADSR I'm not really sure what else to look at for this 6 HP spot.
felix
jonkull wrote:
Well right now I have:

2 x AFG
1 x Dalek
1 x Vulcan
1 x Frequensteiner
1 x Dual Bissell
1 x Model 24 Heisneberg
1 x Model 31 Buffered Multiple
2 x A140 ADSRs
1 x A131 VCA
1 x A138 Mixer

I blame this on you and your videos of course. wink

I think with the 2 AFGs that the Wave Splicer probably isn't needed but I still like what it does. I *think* I'd use the ASR more but maybe not. It's hard to say without buying it and trying it out. Outside of multiples, another LFO or ADSR I'm not really sure what else to look at for this 6 HP spot.

Hehehehe. hihi Thanks for watching them.

Yeah, from what I've heard of the wave splicer, it's very cool, but it's not completely out of the territory of the AFG. It's not the same, but it's not vastly different either.

The ASR might be a good option. Either that or wait a couple months and see what hits the market. I happen to know of someone working on an expansion for the Vulcan that will be either 6 or 10HP.
dkcg
jonkull wrote:

I think with the 2 AFGs that the Wave Splicer probably isn't needed but I still like what it does. I *think* I'd use the ASR more but maybe not.

I use the wave splicer more often than the ASR, but the ASR is a very cool module, excellent with the Heisenberg since you can basically get 4 additional stepped outputs with the ASR. But you could be splicing the simpler waves of the AFG and come up with some crazy modulation splicing madness.

If you're doing noise/timbre based stuff, get the splicer. If you want to do more melodic (even is it's a 4 ms melody) get the ASR.
jonkull
felix wrote:
Hehehehe. hihi Thanks for watching them.

Well I had originally started putting together a budget starter system with a few basic Doepfer modules until I saw/heard the Livewire and Plan B stuff. I'm well over budget now but enjoying it.

felix wrote:
The ASR might be a good option. Either that or wait a couple months and see what hits the market. I happen to know of someone working on an expansion for the Vulcan that will be either 6 or 10HP.

Yeah. This (ASR) is what I'm leaning toward at this point though a Vulcan expander might be worth the wait. Though by the time that comes out I may already be on my way to a second cabinet. grin
jonkull
dkcg wrote:
If you're doing noise/timbre based stuff, get the splicer. If you want to do more melodic (even is it's a 4 ms melody) get the ASR.

Right now my intent is to use the modular for noisy droney stuff.
dkcg
jonkull wrote:
dkcg wrote:

Right now my intent is to use the modular for noisy droney stuff.

I've never tried drones with the asr, but i bet they could give them a cool flavor
MrDys
I also use the wave splicer as an odd rhythm generator. Feed an osc into one input, and an LFO or env into the other and sweeping the splice point can get you some strange stutter sounds.
jonkull
Well I know it's not quite the same but I've been playing around with shift registers in the Nord Modular demo software and it may have potential though I don't know how often I'd end up using it. Hmmm....
jonkull
MrDys wrote:
I also use the wave splicer as an odd rhythm generator. Feed an osc into one input, and an LFO or env into the other and sweeping the splice point can get you some strange stutter sounds.

That's something I hadn't thought of. If you have a couple of minutes to kill at some point could you record and post an example? No worries if you can't...
chinard
MrDys wrote:

hmmmm..... this gives me some ideas..

i still have to finish building those bridechamber wogglebugs, i am just imagining the kind of chaos using the ring output from each wogglebug into my wave splicer SlayerBadger!
(have to finish the faceplate wiring on the second one first tho)
MrDys
jonkull wrote:
MrDys wrote:

That's something I hadn't thought of. If you have a couple of minutes to kill at some point could you record and post an example? No worries if you can't...

Here you go.

It's a Z3000 sine into input A, and 2 cross modulating LFOs from a Modcan Quad LFO into input B. Starts off fully input A, manually slowly swept to just past the mid splice point. Around the 2 minute mark, I start playing with the LFO rates and then I sweep it back to fully input A at the end.
Kent
Since you guys were discussing drones with the ASR, I decided to bust one out. It's not exactly a long-ass drone, because it is a demo & I wanted to make the point without people waiting for 5 minutes.

I mention it during the demo, but I'll repeat: keep a hand on your volume control once I stop talking and bring in the sounds. Just in case. I think that it is alright though. The demo runs on for quite some time after I make the points that I wished to make. There are some cool sounds later on if you have the time.

Hope it helps. It was fun to make.

http://www.upload.muffwiggler.com/kent/ASR_SlowJams.wav

Clap 96.5MB Wave file, y'all Clap

http://www.ear-group.net/model_23.html
jonkull
Thanks guys for the demos. I think I may go with the ASR and add the wave splicer when I start on my second cabinet. I can add the wave splicer to the list of all the other modules I want.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1