MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

DAMN IT!! No more 1200 series. :(
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author DAMN IT!! No more 1200 series. :(
kryptic
I am so upset right now I can't describe it. I had been saving up to purchase all of the black 1200 series Wiard modules. I figured I would just wait until I had the money for all of them and put in one big order. So I finally have the spare cash to purchase them, I logged on to the site the other day to make sure they were all still available, and they seemed to be. So I log on today to put in my order and the site has been updated and they are all (black 1200 series) completely sold out and now discontinued. I couldn't believe it. I should not have waited to put in one big order like that, and now I am screwed. Of all the rotten luck. cry Sorry for the rant, but this seriously just ruined my day. Now I am sure that everyone will try to sell theirs for double the price and I will have to pay some ridiculous second hand price if I ever want to have them. This sucks.
consumed
dude. order the blue modules already! they are b-eau-ti-ful, really.
the blue/black borg and boogie were the same price anyway.
the blue joystick is $60 more than the old black one.
only the single jag is gone...but you can get two jags and two joysticks in the new controller.
Bricks
Looks like you can still get the Boogie in black.. which Im thinking about doing given the soon-to-be-gone nature of it.

I've already got him working on a noise ring and borg for me.. think I'd be missing out not having the a boogie in he rig? So far the borg will be my only filter.. wanted to try it before getting a boogie too.. but I might not have time now.
consumed
sorry, the website update is probably my fault.
i chatted with grant yesterday, and told him i hadnt seen the manuals for the 300 series.
so he decided that it was time for a website update yesterday.
i tried to stop him but it was too late already. =P
kryptic
Yeah, I did order one of the black Boogies, and I am going to just get the NoiseRing and Borg in blue. I am just one of those people that is a stickler for aesthetics and everything matching and the blue ones will stick out like a sore thumb in my all black system. I will probably order dual jag rack unit, but since it is $400 more than a jag and joystick alone I will have to wait a little bit for it.

I wonder if everything went out of stock in the just last two days or if it had been out of stock for a while and the site just finally got updated. Oh, well. The only thing that I really can't get anymore is the jag and black joysticks, but since it is available in a dual rack unit its really not a problem. I was just upset in my own procrastination and bad timing. A similar thing happened to me with Blacet. I had a big order to place and put it off for a couple days and when I finally put in my order it was the day that prices went up. I guess the lesson is don't procrastinate.

EDIT: looks like lerp just answered my question about the site update.
consumed
i say: get while the gettin's good. analog will not be around forever.

we are lucky that people like roger, paul s, grant, bruce, john, and many others are all willing to put themselves out there to provide us with these tools. modules mostly hold their price, and usually go up in value over time, ESPECIALLY when they are discontinued.

the boogie is an interesting filter. if you mix the four outputs (poles), you get different responses. the boogie can be a lp, bp or hp filter. ive read it can also behave as an LPG but i have not set that up yet. i am currently using the boogie as a filter into the borg as a LPG and i am very happy with it.
kryptic
You are definitely right about that, lerp. I am looking forward to the modules. Looks like I will have to wait a couple months though, the build times on the 1200 series are now 8 weeks since the 300 is Grants main focus now. In a couple months I am sure I will be overjoyed. What to do until then... lol
Muff Wiggler
the boogie is my favorite filter EVER

i use it as LPG all the time, it absolutely EXCELS at that

I have 2 of each Wiard module, one in Black and one in Blue

(except the joysticks and JAGs, I have 4 'sticks, and 2 JAGs, all black)

2 of my sticks are for sale/trade if anyone wants

I bet you if you PHONE Grant, you can still get whatever 1200 you want, in whatever color you want... but you'll have to PHONE him. He MUCH, MUCH prefers the phone. He often ignores email on purpose. His phone number is on his website - if you leave him a message with your number, he WILL phone you back.

Give him a call and ask for what you want - I bet you can get it
Muff Wiggler
lerp wrote:
i say: get while the gettin's good. analog will not be around forever.

we are lucky that people like roger, paul s, grant, bruce, john, and many others are all willing to put themselves out there to provide us with these tools. modules mostly hold their price, and usually go up in value over time, ESPECIALLY when they are discontinued.

My attitude EXACTLY
kryptic
I actually talked to him on the phone right after I saw the website update and he confirmed that what is one the site is all that is avavilable for the 1200 series. I guess he only had 100 of each panel made and all of the black panels (except the boogie) are completely gone as well as the Jags in both colors.

How much are you asking for the joysticks, Muff? Any chance you would sell me a Jag?
Muff Wiggler
i'm a sucker for ascetics as well, but also a sucker for the blue Wiard stuff...soon I'll have pics, but here's how I worked it for a nice look incorporating both colors:

in a 6-frac tower...

top row:

black joystick - black JAG - black JAG - black joystick

next row:

black borg - blue borg - blue noise ring - blue boogie - black boogie

next row:

blacet module - blacet module - black noise ring - blacet module - blacet module

rest of tower - blacet

the three blue wiard's in the middle of the second row, with black everywhere else, look GREAT
Muff Wiggler
kryptic wrote:
I actually talked to him on the phone right after I saw the website update and he confirmed that what is one the site is all that is avavilable for the 1200 series. I guess he only had 100 of each panel made and all of the black panels (except the boogie) are completely gone as well as the Jags in both colors.

How much are you asking for the joysticks, Muff? Any chance you would sell me a Jag?

damn....i'm really glad I maxed out everything to order everything I wanted when he announced the retirement of the 1200 series. I'd hate to have missed out on my Wiard dreams

however i'm even happier about the return of the 300 series, and i would have missed out on 1200 for that if need be

but now that my long term frac plans are 99% 'wrapped up', it's great that I can focus on the 300 system with all my disposable money 8)

the two joysticks I am willing to part with are slightly modded - they have 1/4" Gate out jacks, in addition to 1/8" jacks. If unused, this also works as a 1/4"-1/8" converter

I'd sell them for their original price, $90 each, plus shipping - but would only sell tham as a pair (or if two dudes want to get together who each want one, that's cool too) I don't want to ask extra just because they aren't available anymore, not this early in the game anyway.

However I would much, much, much rather trade them for something.

Things that would really make me happy for a trade (I would throw in a bit of cash of my own to trade them for any one of these...)

- Blacet VCO
- Bananalogue VCS
- Frostwave Sonic Alienator
- MOTM GX Filter (Frac version)

or make me an 'offa 8)
kryptic
Any chance of buying one of your Jags? grin grin grin
Muff Wiggler
oh yeah, sorry forgot to comment on that

sorry, and don't want to be a stick in the mud, but I wouldn't consider it at the moment for any price. I just received them, and the pair of them are quite essential to the design of the system i've put together

sorry oops
kryptic
Yeah, I kind of figured that. I remember you saying that you were building two identical systems. I figured it couldn't hurt to ask though.
Muff Wiggler
for sure 8) no problem at all
consumed
you know, the last couple days ive been casually going through the wiard list for all of grant's posts (grantrichter2001). there's a lot of interesting reading in there. you guys should check it out. there are other interesting posters in there too (drmabuce immediately comes to mind).
Muff Wiggler
oh for sure.... there a TON that can be learned from the good Doctors Grant and Mabuse on that list...some of the best synth oriented reading around!
Bricks
Pulled the trigger on a Boogie order. Pretty much no financial risk at this point - if it comes and I don't need it, I'm confident I could sell it for cost
kryptic
Uh oh, that's at least two Boogies that have been bought today. We might see another site update tomorrow! lol
Muff Wiggler
actually about the comment from earlier, where I'm building two identical systems... that's a bit inaccurate in this thread..

i'm building a three tower system. The 'far left' and the 'far right' towers will be 100% identical, and will be 100% Blacet.

I'm building two identical Blacet systems, with two of each Blacet module (at least) - 6 VCOs, 6 EG1s, 4 LFOs, 4 Dual Lin VCAs, 4 Mixer Pros, 8 Multi/Attens, and two of everything else (plus two MW Expanders)

This way I can make 4-voice patches, and if I ever really need to raise money, I can sell one 'complete' Blacet system, and still hang onto one 'complete' Blacet system.

This pair of Blacet towers is basically done. Just need a VCO, a couple of mixer pros, a couple of EG1s, and a second MW Expander. I've already got the 'two of each Blacet module' part covered.

There's another reason for doing this - my modular system is overall mostly a Blacet system. Yeah there's a lot of Wiard in there, and MOTM/frac and Bananalogue etc. But overall it's predominately a Blacet system.

Having two of each Blacet module makes troubleshooting a lot easier. I'm scared for a time long in the future, 10-15 years out. When there may not be a John Blacet anymore. I dread the thought. Anyway, I've had to troubleshoot modules before. Having two of each will help in a lot of ways - I can swap IC's from one to the other if something's fishy, and use this to figure out which IC may have croaked. I can compare the performance of both, check voltages at various PCB points, etc. The chance of both modules dying at the same time is pretty low, so I'm thinking this will be very helpful. I've had to do it in the past, and having two of the module in question was very very useful at the time.

Anyway, so it's two Blacet towers that will be dupilcated in their entirety.

That's two of the three towers in my system. The third, middle tower, is for all non-blacet stuff. It's got all the Wiard stuff I described earlier, plus my Bananalogue modules and my MOTM modules, my Oozitronics and CGS stuff, my AI multis, etc.

So that's the deal. The middle tower has a top row of two joysticks and two JAGs. the second row has three blue Wiard's in the middle, bookended by a single black wiard module on each other side. I'm a sucker for symmetry and balance (more than a sucker, it's extremely important to me), so that's why there's two of each. Also in keeping with the idea of wanting at LEAST two-voice/stereo patching, that's why there's two of each Wiard in there. the Wiard modules are just so damn good i pretty much need two of each anyway, for just about any patch.

cool plan, huh? sorry i can't sell a JAG oops
Muff Wiggler
you guys will LOVE your Boogies!! and yes you can sell 'em for more within a few months, i'm SURE!
Bricks
muff what are some of your more interesting uses of the joysticks and jags?
Muff Wiggler
Bricks wrote:
muff what are some of your more interesting uses of the joysticks and jags?

well, i guess there's a few parts to that answer...

I've had the Joysticks for almost 2 years now, so there's a lot I can say about that

The JAGs arrived a couple hours before I left the country (and have not yet returned! I'm writing this from the lonesome road, as usual) so I only have literally a few minutes on them

Let's see...

The joysticks are useful for what you would imagine. Any patch I make, I always use them. I basically ask myself "what knob on what module would I spend the most time messing with by hand when playing with this patch??", and then I hook up a joystick to it. The joystick is a lot more fun than turning a knob. In fact that's a simplification, the question is more "what two knobs", since you get an X and a Y CV out from the 'stick

Very often, hell it's the most obvious, cutoff frequency and resonance of a filter. That's it. Great fun to joystick around.

Very, very, very often it is bank and wave on a MiniWave. Super fun to pan around all the waveforms in a ROM using a 'stick. In fact, many of the MW ROMs, such as Vector 1, Vector 2, and Morphine, are designed for exactly this.

Sometimes it's FM on a VCO.

Often, I am modulating something (like FM) with a variety of other things, like LFOs, EG's, other VCOs. In cases like this, the modulating signals go to a processor module (either the Blacet Mixer/Processor, or the Bananalogue 3P), and the joystick also goes into the processor module. that way the LFO/EG/VCO whatever does it's thing for modulation, and I can 'add a bit more' or 'take a bit away' from this using the stick. Good times.

There's also the gate button on the 'stick. I like this a lot. I often use it to fire an EG, and one of my favorite things is to route that EG to PWM or VC Wave on a VCO. Typically through an attenuator. Then I can fire off a little extra motion in the oscillators' sound, by hitting the big red 'Gate' button on the joystick module. I can't overstate this, it's a big effect and good control to have. I love it and do it all the time.

So that's some of the stuff the stick is good for. The JAGs... well..

In the few minutes I spent with them, I started with a bit of the obvious. I sent the different poles of a Boogie filter to a QuadMix VCA, and then took 4 poles from the JAG to control the levels of these. I could now pan around the different Boogie responses using my joystick. Next I tried the same trick with the various waveform outputs of the Blacet VCO, again panning/mixing between them all using a joystick. This is so much fun I can't even tell you.

I only had a couple more minutes, so I got a bit goofy. Instead of hooking up the joystick's X and Y outputs to the inputs on the JAG, I sent two different VCOs (tuned to different rates) into the JAGs inputs. When you do this, the various output jacks on the JAG give you all sorts of bizarre wierdness. Some sound 'sort of' like filters, some 'sort of' give you the sound of phasing and flanging, etc. Kinda hard to describe but very surprising and very exciting, and very wierd. I need to play around with this sort of odd stuff (using the JAG as a effect processor) a bit more, and then I can get back to ya with more details

so hopefully that's good info for ya
Muff Wiggler
Actually, from Grant's post today to the Wiard mailing list, it looks like he's going to keep the Borg, Boogie and Noise Ring around in the 1200 format, however just in Black.

He says that 90% of 1200 orders are in Black, so it makes sense to keep the most popular ones

this is good news for a lot of you guys, I'm sure
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2