MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Tascam 488 8 track cassette deck
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Tascam 488 8 track cassette deck
DonaldCrunk
thinking of picking one of these up, curious to know if anyone has experience with this machine in a modular context.

http://homerecording.com/tas488review.html

there's a nice review above for those who aren't familiar.

a little background - i write songs, and i've got a 9u euro case being built up. i've used a lot of 1/2 tape in the past, but that's not really an option for my current (tiny) music space. my laptop and interface are okay, but the powerbook is old and really needs to take a break. i'd like a box that lets me sit down with my modular, polysynth and other acoustic instruments and bang out a noise in an evening to my satisfaction.

fidelity is less of a concern than usability obviously, but the 488's ability to stripe a sync track that doesnt crosstalk has me intrigued. how to generate that sync is another problem, though.

if anyone has used one of these or a smaller cousin thereof i would love to hear some experiences. how did you sync? how did you have it set up in your rig?
Chuck E. Jesus
i've owned three different Portastudios in the past, and i'm of the opinion cassette is a dead end...there are lots of digital options that are fairly inexpensive...
xart
Chuck E. Jesus wrote:
i've owned three different Portastudios in the past, and i'm of the opinion cassette is a dead end...there are lots of digital options that are fairly inexpensive...

I agree.
I don't write 'songs' like you...but all of my stuff is recorded with digital tascam recorders. (I like the tascam work-flow) The DP-02's can sync with midi and you can get them used for about $150.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/msg/2024959365.html

I currently use a 004 and 008 to record with and i Lotsa Love them.
revtor
DP-04 user here... if you "yearn for ye olde 4-trakke days" then you will be very happy with this. 2 track simult recording, no sync, no effects, just pan and level and unlimited bounces. No build up of casette hiss. Built in mics added bonus for grabbing instant ambient tracks.
-Batt-op for anywhere use.
-Can drop individual tracks or mastered creations to PC/MAC as Wav's.

2 thumbs up for simple-as-hell factor.

Though, no easy way to add sync.
You could record a sync track I guess and pan it and then feed it back to your modular....? DP02 I guess if you need sync.

~Steve
DonaldCrunk
tut tut

i had wandered aimlessly through the maze of stupid hard disc recorders without bothering to investigate the DP02. i fizzled out early after reading all about the awesome built in drum machines and amp simulators that come with most of them. stupid fucking 'prosumer' marketing.

the DP02 may be just the ticket for me. i like the concept of the DP004 a lot but i just really need midi stync.

shit now i need an excuse to make another trip to chicagos
Chuck E. Jesus
DonaldCrunk wrote:

i have a Yamaha AW4416 that i'd give you a good price on, most likely overkill for your needs...been reluctant to sell, but i'd like to see it find a good home, i'm committed to PC/DAW at this point...regardless, if you make it out this way you are welcome to try it out...
DonaldCrunk
Chuck E. Jesus wrote:
DonaldCrunk wrote:

i have a Yamaha AW4416 that i'd give you a good price on, most likely overkill for your needs...been reluctant to sell, but i'd like to see it find a good home, i'm committed to PC/DAW at this point...regardless, if you make it out this way you are welcome to try it out...

thanks brother. the yamaha might be too much for my simple needs though, but thanks !

definitely heading to the store to check out the dp02 this week sometime. looks like an appropriate solution.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1