MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Commodore Music
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Commodore Music
Waz
I wanted to get into making some music on a commodore and gameboy. I have the gameboy and LSDJ cartridge en route to my house. Before I plunge into buying a commodore, I'd like to try it out with an emulator and some music software though. What are some of the more popular emulator and music making tools?
Goominim
I have a couple of SID chips that I won't be using. seriously, i just don't get it
Waz
Goominim
I am just getting into this stuff. So an emulator would work best for me. I honestly have no idea what I'd do with those chips.
Bricks

Is now a wiggler.. he is the foremost SID expert I know. You might want to talk to him!
nitro2k01
Gameboy:
Let me make an unsolicited plug. I wrote a guide a couple of years ago. I also run a Gameboy file archive with music/sound tools being the most prominent category, currently.

C64:
The easy route is to buy MSSIAH which lets you use MIDI effortlessly. You could dive into the world of trackers, but then you'd need a disk drive, X1541 cable or other way of loading programs.

VICE is generally considered to be the best emulator.

GOTO80 used to have a guide to music tools and stuff, but it has been deleted since. Archive.org to the rescue! (Edit: And archive.org to the detriment; to make the links work better, right click, copy link location, and only use the second part.)

Lastly, I'd recommend you to join http://chipmusic.org/forums/ for some chip discussion.
Waz
Hmmm... After weeding through pages and pages of c64 fan sites and youtube vids, I've found 2 popular softwares. It seems Cyber Tracker and Goat tracker are the most common. Has anyone had any experience with either of these?

On a side note...
Why do these sites need html from the 90's? I know it looks quirky and old-school, but... c'mon...
nitro2k01
Waz wrote:
On a side note...
Why do these sites need html from the 90's? I know it looks quirky and old-school, but... c'mon...
Many of them were probably actually made in the '90s and nobody has cared to redesign them since. smile
giorgio
i picked up a nice commodore on eBay for short money and mssiah didn't cost an arm/leg either. I think I need an RF modulator or some other way to get audio and video output though. google could probably help
SepticUnderground
Music on a commodore?

Commodore Amiga FTW! razz

With an Amiga 600/1200 and a 12bit sampler (Aura) you are ready for take of. Amiga's can be hooked up to old tvs standard.

Octamed Sound Studio is the way to go, used it for many years.

I still got the Amiga CD32 + Eureka CommunicatorIII (midi in/out/tru) laying around somewhere.

I got Octamed SoundStudio on a CDROM, so it is really a portable setup in that way.

Here is a PC version of OCtamed Soundstudio, Dont know if it is really a 100% rebuild and/or it runs on your specifc PC.
30 day trial: http://www.sonicspot.com/octamed/octamed.html
otto_tsr
emulate and try out DMC 5.0. brilliant program. there is a manual online if you google.
ndkent
The C64 SID is grouped with game chips but to me it's in it's own class because it's sort of a flawed (mostly?) analog synth on a chip.

Refx makes a plugin I bought a while back.
http://refx.com/?page=products/quadrasid/summary

There are a couple real options like the mentioned MSSIAH. This would be THE option if you have a whole C64. It's more or less effortless like someone just said, more or less because many people seem to suggest you mod the out for better sound and circuit protection as well as they offer an option to piggyback a second chip and that requires more surgery.

You also have a couple options that re-house just the chip in either a built or more DIY support housing.

One issue is one of the definite flaws imho is the computer is big time noisy. It's not filterable noise either. So practically I guess the options are you don't stop playing so then the noise becomes part of the character or you use a noise gate and it will sound like you are using ione but you get silence when not playing
klacky
Can you sequence the commodore64 w/ a different sequencer like an MPC1000 w/ MSSIAH? or are you confined to using the MSSIAH software to actually sequence a track?
Nullsleep
Waz wrote:
Hmmm... After weeding through pages and pages of c64 fan sites and youtube vids, I've found 2 popular softwares. It seems Cyber Tracker and Goat tracker are the most common. Has anyone had any experience with either of these?

I've used them both and they're both good options, especially for someone just getting started with SID music. The major difference is that CyberTracker runs on the C64 directly, while GoatTracker runs on Windows / Linux / OSX. If you end up going with the Goat, you can export your songs to formats that will play back directly on a C64 as well (.SID, .PRG, etc.)

So, I'd say give them both a shot and get a sense for the capabilities of the chip and whether or not you enjoy working with it. The biggest drawback with both of these options is that you'll be pretty limited in terms of improvisation. If you're just interested in using them to write music, that's probably not a big deal, but if you're looking to integrate the C64 in a live performance context you'd probably be better off looking at the previously mentioned MSSIAH cartridge.
Nullsleep
klacky wrote:
Can you sequence the commodore64 w/ a different sequencer like an MPC1000 w/ MSSIAH? or are you confined to using the MSSIAH software to actually sequence a track?

You can sequence MSSIAH via MIDI, take a look at pages 58-63 & 80-83 in the sequencer manual:

http://www.mssiah.com/files/MSSIAH_Sequencer.pdf
CJ Miller
I checked out Cybertracker, it ran well, but I didn't feel compelled to learn tracker programming. What I ended up using was Triad Midislave Manager, which allowed my to use my C64 as a synth controlled through external MIDI. It was fun, I screwed around with it for maybe a week. But if I was going to go the SID route again now, I'd probably build a Midibox SID, it's self-contained and has more features.
dropthedyle
Chipsounds from Plogue can emulate a lot of different chips :
Chipsounds
jonah
Not commodore, but Adlib tracker 2 and dosbox can get you into the same sound family with super gritty 2 or 4op FM. The laptops with FM chips in them are super cheap, but I'm having a hell of a time finding a gameport serial adapter so I can MIDI it up.

???
Goattracker is really great, but there is one sound I could not make with it (a kind of percussion sound that is often used by jeroen tel, anyway...). + You can try goattracker without a real SID (there is an build-in SID emulation I think) to see if you like it.

I suggest you buy an hardsid if you don't want to mess with crappy old computer (http://www.hardsid.com/) However, it can only be used with goattracker which is hard to learn (but rewarding). The hardsid is a really reliable device and the sound output is clear.

Chipsound is not bad either but is limited compared to goattracker and you don't get the real sound. The sound is great, but not really convincing if you are used to that kind of sound...

I hope you will have fun tracking!!!
mckenic
The HardSid4U can be used with anything as it comes with a VSTi... unfortunately not an AU or ANY support for OS X even tho it was sold with the promise of coming soon waah

Just about to fire up an old ebay purchase - Commodore 128 and I hope it works! Have a cart Emu with a built-in SD card slot and Prophet 64 (With firestarted midi interface) & MSSIAH.

Really looking forward to messing about It's peanut butter jelly time!

Had LSDj, Nanoloop for YEARS, got a DCM 8 drummachine and LOVE it!

Lots of fun!
renderful
Does anyone actually have a HardSid?

I've been thinking of fucking around with some SID. I had a C64 as a kid, but have lost in the last 20 years. My wife's father has a Commodore 128 that I may have to dig into.
mckenic
Had one since the days of the Hardsid Quattro ISA card!
Graduated to the Hardsid4U.
relggiwffum
love

http://alkex.com/sid-8bit-desktop-synthesizer

Peace
relggiwffum

http://www.modemachines.com/en/products/sid_8Bit_Groovebox.html

It looks really cool, doesn´t it?
mckenic
relggiwffum wrote:
It looks really cool, doesn´t it?

Yup!

Im not a fan of ModeMachines tho and I believe it costs LOTS!
relggiwffum
Quote:
Im not a fan of ModeMachines tho and I believe it costs LOTS!

Sure! Actually I use Mssiah and it is quite fun.

http://www.8bitventures.com/mssiah/main.php

I am still waiting to get a C64 mouse at a reasonable price because 30€ for one of these is a bit crazy, no?

Peace.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2