MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Ableton Live latency in audio recordings [thread split]
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author Ableton Live latency in audio recordings [thread split]
skweeegor
No problem. And, yeah +/-4.55v is pretty good. I doubt you'll miss the half volt.

I have issues with latency in live but not just with the ES-1, but absolutely everything. I have to manually adjust every track I record when I'm done, modular or not. Does this happen with your other synths, too?

If I remember correctly, even if you set up delay compensation in live, I believe it will only work if you have monitoring off on the track you're recording - meaning you need to have it hooked up to a mixer to hear what you're doing. If the track is set to Auto or In, Live won't adjust the latency and you'll have to do it manually.

This is what the manual says anyway, I haven't had a chance to test it yet.
os
It doesn't say that at all. It says

Quote:
If you are recording into Live with monitoring set to "Off," you may want to make the Audio Preferences’ Overall Latency adjustment, which is described in the built-in program tutorial on setting up the Audio Preferences.

Live's behaviour with respect to latency should be the same whichever monitoring mode you have selected.

Sounds like you might need to play with the "Driver Error Compensation" setting in the Live prefs.
os
Live's built-in lesson on "Driver Error Compensation" makes all this fairly clear.
JP
SPent hours last night trying to adjust the audio latency settings and nothing changed, only way I could get latency down was to drop the "samples" section in the pref down to like 140, then it was almost spot on, but it also sounded clunky as hell.

I also tried popping an external midi instrument control into the midi track that fed the SW tracks, and set the external as the SW track, since with midi you can try to counter latency (I'm assuming live just fires the midi early) I figured that might be a way round the issue.

Didn't work either.

I know it's not really silent way specific, I just need to work round my audio latency issues, I fear I'll be adjusting every track I record manually though.
os
Changing the audio buffer sizes won't affect latency, only performance.

The only thing that will adjust latency is the Driver Error Compensation. Work through the Live tutorial with that name.
skweeegor
I went through the tutorial for driver error compensation. Live only uses the compensation value when I have monitoring set to off. If it's on auto or in, it doesn't have any effect.
os
You're right, you know:
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?p=1179087#p1179087

(is there an emoticon for humble pie?)
skweeegor
Well, it's good to have a definitive answer now. The manual wasn't particularly clear on the issue, and if you hadn't made that post I probably would have put off checking it for another week. lol

Glad to have finally figured it out. thumbs up
JP
skweeegor wrote:
I went through the tutorial for driver error compensation. Live only uses the compensation value when I have monitoring set to off. If it's on auto or in, it doesn't have any effect.

But then how do you hear it? That might be a really stupid question.

But if I have 2 tracks of midi drums, and my synth being triggered by midi thru SW, if I turn monitor off, I can't hear the synth audio in.
skweeegor
The ideal way to do it would be to run your synths through a mixer first, that way you can monitor through there. If your synth has a headphone jack that could work but then you're limited to one thing at a time.

It kind of makes sense that it does it this way because if you were for example playing guitar to a drum track while monitoring through live, you would automatically adjust your playing to compensate for any latency, so for everything to line up properly, live records the track exactly as you are hearing it. Would be nice to have a setting where it compensates even with monitoring on, though.
skweeegor
btw, I'm also finding midi latency plays a role here. When I did the compensation tutorial, live automatically adjusted the track properly without changing the driver error compensation, but when I'm recording external synths using Live's midi clock, I have to bump up the compensation by 10ms or so. Strangely enough, it's different among all my synths too - some seem to be behind more than others and I don't have any midi thru chaining going on.
os
Once you involve external MIDI, all bets are off as regards timing and consistency of timing.

JP wrote:
But then how do you hear it? That might be a really stupid question.

But if I have 2 tracks of midi drums, and my synth being triggered by midi thru SW, if I turn monitor off, I can't hear the synth audio in.

Maybe it works if you record on the channel with the monitoring set to 'off', but have another channel from the same input with the monitoring set to 'on'. Worth a go.
skweeegor
Good idea, os! Just tried that and it works perfectly. I wasn't looking forward to rerouting everything through my mixer.
JP
I wonder if you can set another channel to get it's audio from teh first channel and then set monitor to on.

That would be crazy.

I'll try later tonight.
skweeegor
Just tried that and it works too but is there something I'm missing about wanting to use that method? If anything, it adds an extra step because you'd have to re-route the track you're recording to the Master channel once you're done monitoring.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1