Doing Befaco Even VCO: is there much diff between tl072 smd chips?

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

DanaFo
Common Wiggler

Doing Befaco Even VCO: is there much diff between tl072 smd chips?

Post by DanaFo » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:58 pm

The BOM has a tl072cte code for onda radio - they don't seem to have this specific part any more.
Mouser has like 8 different models of tl072 smds - are they really all that different in this application? What would be the key differentiating factor(s)?

Cheers,
mouser tl072 smd.PNG

pjbulls
Common Wiggler

Re: Doing Befaco Even VCO: is there much diff between tl072 smd chips?

Post by pjbulls » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:59 pm

Yes, there is some difference.

They all end in --CD[T] or --ID[T], this is what you should be least concerned about. The ----T means that it's a 'tape & reel' part, i.e. they come in reels of 2500 from the factory as well as cut tape - not something you'd really care about unless you're assembling them by the thousands (though they might still be a bit cheaper in lower quantities). The I or C indicates extended or standard temperature operating range (-40°C to 125°C or 0°C to 70°C), again not something you'd need unless you'll be running your module in an oven or at the South Pole. The D is the package code, SOP-8.

For some of the versions there is an extra 'A' or 'B' (or, not present here, a 'C') between the 072 and the rest of the code: these are parts with better offset voltage specifications than the original (max. 10 mV standard, 6 mV for A, and 3 mV for B). This will matter a teeny tiny bit for some applications (pitch CV), but for the EvenVCO not so much.

I'd just get the one that's cheapest in the quantities you need ;)

e: missed the 'Y' all the way at the bottom, this is one that meets automotive specifications (which is great if you're building a car). Overall the 'BIDT' and 'BIYDT' are the "best" ones.

htor
Wiggling with Experience

Post by htor » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:08 pm

a strategy for decision is sorting by the availability/stock column, and just pick whichever they have most of in stock. those should in theory be common

DanaFo
Common Wiggler

Post by DanaFo » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:47 pm

htor wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:08 pm
a strategy for decision is sorting by the availability/stock column, and just pick whichever they have most of in stock. those should in theory be common
pjbulls wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:59 pm
Yes, there is some difference.

They all end in --CD[T] or --ID[T], this is what you should be least concerned about. The ----T means that it's a 'tape & reel' part, i.e. they come in reels of 2500 from the factory as well as cut tape - not something you'd really care about unless you're assembling them by the thousands (though they might still be a bit cheaper in lower quantities). The I or C indicates extended or standard temperature operating range (-40°C to 125°C or 0°C to 70°C), again not something you'd need unless you'll be running your module in an oven or at the South Pole. The D is the package code, SOP-8.

For some of the versions there is an extra 'A' or 'B' (or, not present here, a 'C') between the 072 and the rest of the code: these are parts with better offset voltage specifications than the original (max. 10 mV standard, 6 mV for A, and 3 mV for B). This will matter a teeny tiny bit for some applications (pitch CV), but for the EvenVCO not so much.

I'd just get the one that's cheapest in the quantities you need ;)

e: missed the 'Y' all the way at the bottom, this is one that meets automotive specifications (which is great if you're building a car). Overall the 'BIDT' and 'BIYDT' are the "best" ones.
Awesome replies (I actually considered the in stock numbers as a guide lol). Thanks!

degeneratedsines
Common Wiggler

Post by degeneratedsines » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:24 pm

hum.. the Even VCO comes with all smd pre-soldered, right?
at least as far as can remember.

pjbulls
Common Wiggler

Post by pjbulls » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:33 pm

Nobody said anything about the actual Befaco kit ;)

(I made a 6HP version)

Return to “Music Tech DIY”