MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

VCA choice confusion!!!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author VCA choice confusion!!!
Veqtor
I keep trying to get my head around which VCA to choose for my 6U eurorack modular, I have limited space, limited funds etc.

So far I've got a A-143-2 Quad ADSR, a A-106-1 filter, a multiple and a 8HP diy-ring mod.

I'm planning on buying an AFG soon.

But, what VCA... One I have been looking at is the upcoming Plan-B Model 33, which looks to me like it's 12hp(?)

The QMMG looks tasty, but with the pricetag and the 24 hp!!! And also, I'm afraid I will think that the vactrols have a too slewed response to use them all the time.

And so... the doepfers, the 132-3 (dual switchable between lin/exp), looks good, nice pricetag, but really how does it sound? What are your experiences with doepfer VCA's?

I wish I could afford cwejmans of course, but heh, unless I win the lottery or something it just isn't going to happen.

But still, I'm spoiled for choice! Help me! I can't make up my mind!
dbch
just to help confuse you more, bubblesound's next module is a VCA. it's based on the polyfusion, but with 4 attenuated input, a pre-gain stage out and a pair of CVs. It's an OTA based VCA so it is a bit warmer than the Doepfer. and it's be around $150. it's a little on the big side for a VCA, 14HP. i'm hoping to have it shipping by mid-late Feb.
David
felix
The A-132-3 sounds great! I mean really good. The only other Doepfer VCA that I have is the 130 Exp and the 132-3 handles fast envelopes and square wave LFOs nicer than the 130 (the 130 clicks more).

Another really nice thing that I appreciate (aside from both lin/exp modes) with the A-132-3 is that it has CV attenuators and the gain offset. That's the one thing that bugs me about my M13 and the forthcoming Plan B Tripple VCA. I assume Peter decides to leave them off since his M10s have attenuated outputs.

Anyway, big thumbs up on the A-132-3.
thetwlo
dbch wrote:
just to help confuse you more, bubblesound's next module is a VCA. it's based on the polyfusion, but with 4 attenuated input, a pre-gain stage out and a pair of CVs. It's an OTA based VCA so it is a bit warmer than the Doepfer. and it's be around $150. it's a little on the big side for a VCA, 14HP. i'm hoping to have it shipping by mid-late Feb.
David

Nice, sounds great! if not OTA what is the common topology others are using for the VCA as Doepfer/Plan B.. MOTM? It the SSM2020 OTA?
ok, found this on the ssm2010 and ssm2020 http://www.emulatorarchive.com/assets/PDF/AM2010%20Project%20Notes%20V 1.0.pdf
which my crusty old thing uses.
The QMMG is amazingly cool as filter or gate, only had mine for a couple days but love it! may not want it as your only VCA but works very well as one.
wetterberg
felix wrote:
The A-132-3 sounds great! I mean really good. ...
Anyway, big thumbs up on the A-132-3.
I concur nodnod
Veqtor
hmm, seems to me I should be getting the A-132-2 then!
w00t
NV
The Doepfer A-132-3 has received many glowing reviews from even the most discriminating users. Prior Doepfer VCAs have received a bit of flack regarding noise and general audio quality, and the A 132-3 is Dieter's response to the concerns. Shawn at Analogue Haven recommends it as the best VCA in Doepfer's lineup at the moment, and he certainly has his pick of modules.

Not meant as a slight towards Plan B, but I wouldn't wait for their Triple VCA to arrive. Unless you've heard something to specifically suggest it should be out soon it may be some time before it shows up, if at all. It has been essentially removed from their site and it seems they may have decided to focus elsewhere. From what I've heard, I'm under the very vague impression that Plan B's next modules in the lineup are the Vector Plotter and Switch, although again that is a rough guess at best.
felix
kidtesla is selling one right now!

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2432
wetterberg
caveat emptor! That's the quad, 132-2, not 132-3 that kidtesla is selling smile
Bi Mon Sci Fi Con
To me, the difference between the Doepfer A-130/A-131 VCAs and the newer Dual VCA is massive. It's so much cleaner...

I was so impressed with the Dual VCA, 2 VCAs in 8HP! I can't wait to get another one! Merry Christmas!

With the Doepfer Quad ADSR & Dual VCAs, one has so much space & functionality in a standard 6u case which leaves room for more exotic modules. It's great!

I'm thinking of selling my Doepfer A-145 lfos (i have 2) and getting the Doepfer Quad LFO, only draw back is there's no Sine waves on the Quad but i was thinking about getting the Doepfer A-143-9 Quadrature LFO which is nothing but Sine waves & Voltage controllable. I also like the 'out of phase' feature (90, 180 & 270 degrees), Would be cool for nice slow cross fading stuff.

Does any one have experience with either the Quad LFO or Quadrature Sine LFO?

Would be nice to have VC on the Quad LFO but what you gonna do, eh?

Only 22HP for 4 independent LFOs and 4 VC Sine LFOs sounds appealing to me.

I don't know about you guys, but i find the best stuff i've come up with has been only using my Doepfer suitcase, not saying i haven't been happy using my other 6u rack of modules but, for me, it forces me to think in a different way plus i can only ever take the suitcase out to play shows...
felix
wetterberg wrote:
caveat emptor! That's the quad, 132-2, not 132-3 that kidtesla is selling smile

Oooops. Sorry. I'm an idiot. very frustrating
wetterberg
Bi Mon Sci Fi Con wrote:
Would be nice to have VC on the Quad LFO but what you gonna do, eh?
hmm. perhaps wait for the Doepfer quad vcLFO? D.Doepfer said that they're currently testing to see if they can make it 1v/oct and switchable between lfo and VCO... yum.
Time Machines
Anyone thoughts on the A-132-1 dual low-cost VCA? I know it's linear only, but I have a model 10 which can output exponential slopes, so this doesn't bother me too much. How good does it handle audio signals? (Hi everyone, my first post here.)
dougcl
You could also use a ring mod in a pinch.
Bi Mon Sci Fi Con
Wow... A Quad VC LFO, I hadn't even heard about that!

Thanks for the heads up!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1