MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Power line conditioner, UPS?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Power line conditioner, UPS?
stk
Hey,
So my new studio premesis (spare room in rented house) has pretty dodgy power, or at least I believe it does due to the large amount of brownouts we tend to have.

Those rackmount studio-oriented conditioners don't deal with voltage droop, right, just spikes? I'm guessing for brownouts and the like I'd need a battery-equipped UPS?

I'd like suggestions on choosing something to smooth my ac and hopefully protect my gear a little. I'm wary of snake oil syndrome, knowing little about ac myself.

I'd be really happy to spend less than a few hundred, but will entertain all suggestions, particularly if you can explain them to me smile

thanks
stk
Okay, looking about I'm thinking what I need is a "Line Interactive UPS with Automatic Voltage Regulation", or similar, designed for IT equipment.

Perhaps something like http://www.mwave.com.au/sku-33010360-Eaton_Powerware_Ellipse_MAX_850VA _UPS_With_USB_360W_Multi_Way_Sockets_Compatible

Am I on the correct path?
stk
Nobody? seriously, i just don't get it
JohnLRice
I'm not sure about the model you have a link for but I'd suggest getting a UPS that has true/pure sine wave output. The less expensive ones have more of a squarewave output I think and can cause noise in some device power supplies. Also, the better UPS' often run off of the batteries ALL the time, so there is no switching noise or momentary power fluctuations.

For my computers I have a rack mount Tripp Lite. I got a good deal on it from an Ebay seller. Here some info about a similar current model
http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtSeriesID=937&txtMode lID=2948

All that said, all of my recording gear other than the computer stuff doesn't run on a UPS. I have a Furman AR 1215 voltage regulator plugged into the wall: http://www.furmansound.com/product.php?div=01&id=AR-1215

and then multiple Furman PL-8's that plug into the AR 1215. I probably gain nothing from the PL-8's 'conditioning' but they are very handy as rackmount switchable powerstrips with lights! thumbs up I wish I had the newer models with all the extra features.
stk
Thanks.
Been doing some further reading over the past 24 hours. You're right about the low-end Furmans et al, not much more than a rackmountable power strip wink

There's a lot of guff out there regarding studio power in general. Some of the Gearslutz threads are d'oh!

Leaning towards a reasonable priced voltage regulating UPS. My personal bullshit jury is still out, though hihi
NV
If you're looking for something to "smooth" your power, then you would want a UPS with a battery in it that will keep things at a steady voltage or a regulator that will take incoming voltages between a particular range and regulate them to a steady output. I run my computer equipment off a UPS, partially because things like hard drives don't appreciate flickering power, but primarily because it buys me about 3 minutes of battery power in the event of a power cycle or blackout. Those 3 minutes are all I need to save whatever I'm doing, turn off the computer, and hide under the bed. Or in the case of a 1-second flicker, it bridges the power gap so all the lights blow and the alarm clocks start screaming but the computer acts as if nothing happened. All of my computer-related equipment runs from an Opti-UPS unit I bought for around $130 about 5 years ago, and it's still ticking just fine and has saved me enough time and work through power surges to be well worth the rather minor expense, particularly considering you'll need a power strip for a computer setup anyway.

For audio gear, I don't think a UPS is necessary for protection but it may help for convenience depending on your preferences. In my opinion a lot of the power regulation talk out there is thick on the snake oil, particularly with companies like Monster screaming about nitrogen sealed cordage and titanium braided whatever. I do think conditioning is important, mostly as a protective measure, but something like a mid-line Furman or even something from a company like Belkin should be fine to chain the rest of your studio out from. I don't believe you need an "audio conditioning unit" for $1,500, since the whole audio-grade power supply thing is within the audio equipment itself. Keep spikes and surges away and you won't need to worry about your stuff suddenly sparking up and burning.

I know there are people out there who would disagree, but I've recorded/performed/whatever plugged into $1,500 power conditioners and I've done it plugged into the wall of a shed, and I've yet to listen to the results and think "wow, you can really hear that $1,500 of power conditioning at work!" Maybe that's just me.
stk
Cool, thanks for the replies, and appreciate the refreshing levelheadedness. There sure is a lot of whooey out there regarding "audio-grade" power.

Fuck, half the music I make sounds like a malfunctioning airconditioner anyway, so..

I reckon I'll go for a UPS, primarily to level out AC going to my PC and give me that precious 4 mins saving time when armageddon comes SlayerBadger!
IvanC
I've found some really nice true-sine UPS at local computer surplus shops. They are often used with big server and phone systems, and sometimes you can get them very cheap. Buy a nice quality one and you might have to replace the batteries, but you'll still save a lot of money.
stk
I always hear about surplus IT and electronic stores in thee States, wish we had them here waah
IvanC
stk wrote:
I always hear about surplus IT and electronic stores in thee States, wish we had them here waah

Maybe check with some of these places:

http://www.computer-recycling.com.au/services.php

http://www.a1usedcomputers.com.au
voicetospirit
I just picked up two of these for my studio gear:
Monster Power PowerCenter PRO 3500

And this for the computer:
UPS CYBERPOWER | CP1350AVRLCD RT

I also installed special outlets (with the built in CGI and breaker)
and never plug more than one Power Conditioner per outlet.

I'm just now in the process of selling my low end Furman,
They may be rack mounted strips, but they usually have
level 1 filtering with EFI and stuff.
IvanC
voicetospirit wrote:
I just picked up two of these for my studio gear:
Monster Power PowerCenter PRO 3500

The Monster stuff looks cool but I'm not sure it really works that well.

Many professional audio installations use Surgex products:

http://www.surgex.com/products.html

I personally use a few of the SurgeX SX1115 in my studio and a SA1810 for gigging.

If you want the ultimate go with Exact Power:

http://www.exactpower.com/
vasculator
i'm a fan of the lower-end tripp lite equipment. the LS-606M and an isobar8 is all i really use for distributing and conditioning power in the studio.

the tripp lite ups i had (bc internet 420 or something) lasted me a good ten years until it finally died. it was useful when i had really inconsistent power in a few apartments. nothing quite like losing a bunch of work to a 2 second power fluctuation.
voicetospirit
IvanC wrote:

The Monster stuff looks cool but I'm not sure it really works that well.

Many professional audio installations use Surgex products:

Well maybe that will be my next upgrade down the road. Nice stuff, but its not cheap. We'll see how Monster does in the mean time.
Karl Jeffers
I just want protection against lightning. What should I get?
IvanC
Karl Jeffers wrote:

Surgex. Some deals on eBay right now. Truly the best product for lightning strikes.

Ivan
tphractyl
If you are willing to go used / surplus, sometimes you can get "medical grade isolation" transformers for cheap

They serve the same power conditioning purpose minus the battery which you may or may not need (and will eventually need to be replaced).
IvanC
Good point. Look for "Sola" brand ones. Some even do voltage regulation. Most do filtering and line isolation, which can be helpful in bad power and grounding situations.

Ivan

tphractyl wrote:
If you are willing to go used / surplus, sometimes you can get "medical grade isolation" transformers for cheap

They serve the same power conditioning purpose minus the battery which you may or may not need (and will eventually need to be replaced).
pugix
Karl Jeffers wrote:

The only solution that's guaranteed to work against lightning strike is: UNPLUG everything. If you use a power line conditioner (I have a Furman PL-PLUS), unplug it when you're not using the studio. Don't work in a thunderstorm.

Has anyone you know ever collected on one of those insurance policies for damage that come with surge protectors? Seriously, I would like to hear. I do leave my home entertainment equipment always plugged into another Furman (branded as Panamax M4300-PM), but then again, I can go to the store and buy replacements for that stuff.
kbrush
i just use rack power strips plugged into surge protectors. had plenty of brown outs and spikes, one even damaged my pc but the kit thats plugged into the racks and surge protectors didn't even reboot.

it storms too much where i live to unplug every time. maybe i'm under appreciating the risk seriously, i just don't get it
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1