Please Help Me Fill A 60 HP Row To Add To My Moog Semi Modular Trilogy

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

FletchNYC
Common Wiggler

Please Help Me Fill A 60 HP Row To Add To My Moog Semi Modular Trilogy

Post by FletchNYC » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:42 am

I want to add a fourth row of Eurorack modules to my Moog semi modular trilogy, and I’m not sure what modules will bring the most out of my Moogs. I want this row to really expand on the capabilities of these three Moogs (Mother 32, DFAM, and Subharmonicon, (I also have a Matriarch)). The most obvious addition I need to make is adding reverb and delay. I’ve always appreciated what I’ve heard from clouds, so I figured that could work well, but is that enough to cover both the delay and reverb, or should I get two separate modules for delay and reverb? I don’t know if I need another voice. I already have the three Moog modules, and with only 60 HP, I feel like I should use that space to bring the most out of the voices I already have, though a BIA is kind of enticing. Do I need Pams for clock purposes? The three Moogs are clocked with the Subharmonicon serving as the master. Maths seems like a good choice for opening new possibilities, as well as deepening my understanding of Modular.

This is what I have so far (I have 10 hp undecided). Any advice would be greatly appreciated: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1451350
Last edited by FletchNYC on Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

canopychasesounds
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Please Help Me Fill A 60 HP Row To Add To My Moog Semi Modular Trilogy

Post by canopychasesounds » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:16 pm

I’ve been having great fun sequencing my Subharmonicon’s pitch with the Noise Engineering Mimetic Digitalis. It allows me to create more complex patterns that evolve over longer periods of time than the SubH’s sequencers allow for - plus they stay quantized to the pitch ratios the SubH is set to so it creates varied but melodious chord sequences.
You can also sequence the osc base pitch of the DFAM but it’s so hard to set exact pitches on the DFAM’s sequencer that it’s all but impossible to create reliably tuned pitch sequences so I haven’t had much fun with that.
I also like using my Intellijel Steppy as the clock source for the SubH and DFAM because I can create “lumpy” patterns that increases the timing complexity they are capable of. By this I mean, rather than a clock that’s sending consistent quarter notes, I’ll use the steppy to send the DFAM a 3 quarter notes then two 1/8 notes so the dfam has more of a rotating pattern relationship to the SubH because the two 1/8 notes speed it up for a bit which bakes an offset into the pattern.

FletchNYC
Common Wiggler

Post by FletchNYC » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:04 pm

canopychasesounds wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:16 pm
I’ve been having great fun sequencing my Subharmonicon’s pitch with the Noise Engineering Mimetic Digitalis. It allows me to create more complex patterns that evolve over longer periods of time than the SubH’s sequencers allow for - plus they stay quantized to the pitch ratios the SubH is set to so it creates varied but melodious chord sequences.
You can also sequence the osc base pitch of the DFAM but it’s so hard to set exact pitches on the DFAM’s sequencer that it’s all but impossible to create reliably tuned pitch sequences so I haven’t had much fun with that.
I also like using my Intellijel Steppy as the clock source for the SubH and DFAM because I can create “lumpy” patterns that increases the timing complexity they are capable of. By this I mean, rather than a clock that’s sending consistent quarter notes, I’ll use the steppy to send the DFAM a 3 quarter notes then two 1/8 notes so the dfam has more of a rotating pattern relationship to the SubH because the two 1/8 notes speed it up for a bit which bakes an offset into the pattern.
Interesting. I can definitely see how creating more interesting patterns with the Subharmonicon could be really cool. I’ll for sure checkout that Module. What do you think about adding clouds and Maths? Do you think those are good selections? Do you have a delay/reverb that has worked well for you?

Agawell
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:26 pm

You definitely don't need Pams as a clock source - you already have one - it's a great module but everything is very tied to the clock - which is no bad thing - but not necessarily something you always want

here's what I'd do, based up on expecting you to use an external mixer or audio interface for monitoring purposes:

Maths is a great learning tool so I think that's a good idea - but it just ate 33% of your 60hp

I wouldn't go for clouds as either a delay or a reverb - if you desperately want granular too then I'd at least wait a but to see what Emilie has up her sleeve for 'clouds2' which I suspect is very very close

otherwise I'd strongly consider a couple of fx aids - at least one the xl version - which is less cramped and has more modulation options

some extra vcas never hurt - use them for modulation as well as audio - I'd go for veils as it has 4 in 10 hp - and can double as a mixer, an external input etc etc

that leaves 20hp, probably more like 16hp as you'll likely need a rack wart type power supply - which will take 4hp

I'd want a kinks - 3 useful tools in 4hp - and at least one small mixer - for mixing pre-effects - possibly a cp3 clone - and I'd probably finish off with a disting mk4 as it is so versatile, especially in such a small case

I'd also seriously consider a much bigger case (mantis is a good size) - there are lots more utilities, modulation sources (particularly chaotic ones) and effects (filters for starters) I would want to add - there's no need to rush filling a larger case (or a 60hp one for that matter) - just get or make some blind panels to cover the gaps
Modular Audio and Video Synthesis on Instagram

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine!!!

an oscillator is an oscillator - utilities are possibilities

choose the case to fit the modules - not the modules to fit the case!!!

FletchNYC
Common Wiggler

Post by FletchNYC » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:55 pm

Agawell wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:26 pm
You definitely don't need Pams as a clock source - you already have one - it's a great module but everything is very tied to the clock - which is no bad thing - but not necessarily something you always want

here's what I'd do, based up on expecting you to use an external mixer or audio interface for monitoring purposes:

Maths is a great learning tool so I think that's a good idea - but it just ate 33% of your 60hp

I wouldn't go for clouds as either a delay or a reverb - if you desperately want granular too then I'd at least wait a but to see what Emilie has up her sleeve for 'clouds2' which I suspect is very very close

otherwise I'd strongly consider a couple of fx aids - at least one the xl version - which is less cramped and has more modulation options

some extra vcas never hurt - use them for modulation as well as audio - I'd go for veils as it has 4 in 10 hp - and can double as a mixer, an external input etc etc

that leaves 20hp, probably more like 16hp as you'll likely need a rack wart type power supply - which will take 4hp

I'd want a kinks - 3 useful tools in 4hp - and at least one small mixer - for mixing pre-effects - possibly a cp3 clone - and I'd probably finish off with a disting mk4 as it is so versatile, especially in such a small case

I'd also seriously consider a much bigger case (mantis is a good size) - there are lots more utilities, modulation sources (particularly chaotic ones) and effects (filters for starters) I would want to add - there's no need to rush filling a larger case (or a 60hp one for that matter) - just get or make some blind panels to cover the gaps
These are great recommendations. I’m starting to think you’re right about the clouds. I just really love floating, hypnotic, dreamy sounds, but with only 60 hp, maybe a couple fx aids is the better way to go. Or a monsoon, which is a little smaller. I also probably do need a few more VCAs. Everyone says PAMs is a must, so I’ll have to think about that one. I’ve hear that just pams and maths alone can be an education.

canopychasesounds
Learning to Wiggle

Post by canopychasesounds » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:10 pm

FletchNYC wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:04 pm
What do you think about adding clouds and Maths? Do you think those are good selections? Do you have a delay/reverb that has worked well for you?
Clouds: I’ve personally had a Monsoon on my shopping list for a while and would get it over clouds for the added capability and the smaller HP. That said, it’s WAY down the pecking order because I’ve got about $3k worth of modules I’d rather have sooner, mostly because I want to be able to sequence drums and mix in Eurorack so I have the option of ditching my DAW and doing it all in my rack.
Maths: basically everyone everywhere says this module is awesome, but I have yet to understand how this module will help me make interesting music. I think my brain hasn’t made the shift yet to thinking about music composition in the language that that module speaks.
Reverb Delay: I’m (like literally right now) hunting for my perfect Eurorack FX unit, but don’t have one yet. I currently use the delay and reverb in Ableton Live (my DAW) which I basically have to use to monitor all my Eurorack signals in real time....not ideal but is great for capturing cool stuff that spontaneously appears. I also have an Eventide H9 Max stomp box pedal which has an absolutely glorious reverb program and I run my subharmonicon through it pretty much 24/7, I mean it sounds GOOD. I doubt I’ll be able to find an 8HP FX unit with a reverb this good, but I’m looking ;)
The modules that have been on my shortlist are:
Endorphin.es Milky Way
Erica Black Hole 2
Nerding FX Aid
Maybe like 3 2HP Delays since I usually use Ableton’s delays in a 3 delay units in parallel kind of thing for interesting rhythmic patterns.
Truthfully I’ve also been tempted by Magneto even though the price is just so ... lofty. I already own two Strymon delays in guitar pedal format including the El Capistan which I love for guitar and also the Timeline, and also their Mobius, their Deco (awesome!), and the Flint. So dropping $600 for basically the same algorithm as El Cap just in a different format with more control capability makes me feel like I should branch out lol. But man it sounds silky.
The FX Box by 1010 is probably awesome but I’m really thirsting for their BitBox and if I got one I’d never tie it up running the FX Box firmware.
That’s pretty much me barfing out my internal dialogue and though process. Hopefully something in there has been helpful!

shredsickgnar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by shredsickgnar » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:30 pm

You can go many different ways with reverb/delay. My preference would be to go old school. Moogs sound amazing through a nice spring reverb. So I'd say you cant go wrong with that. I'd then send that signal either through two analog BBD delays or 2 pt2399 chip delays and pan them L/R. I'd personally get some kind of output mixer to have some control in the rack. Then I'd probably go with MATHS and a low pass gate like the LxD. Maybe not the most efficient use of that space but it would sound pretty fuggin good.
https://soundcloud.com/advancedelectric
Latest Ambient youtube performance vid::
https://youtu.be/xfWiDTkIyKo
[bandcamp width=100% height=120 album=695091456 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 tracklist=false artwork=small]

guitargyro
Common Wiggler

Post by guitargyro » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:18 am

Been down this road...

The short answer is: 60hp really isn’t REALLY enough space for flushing out multiple Moogs. They deserve more. Though I get the allure of the 60hp Moog case as the cherry on top of the 4tier...

My new dream for the Moogs is this: a 7u case that holds my 2 M32s, 2 DFAMs and Subharm, with room for some helpful modules. But at the end of the day, it’s a VERY expensive way of finally being done with the dang Moog power adaptors once and FOR ALL! Those things stink. Eat into my supply of Power Strips! But for as cool as the 4 tier stand looks...it just doesn’t line up that well with my other racks.

That being said, if I had to do it all over again...ok...60hp challenge. Go!

Yeah, the Moogs love verb. And delay. Brings them to life. So how to do you get both and still have some room for more modulation?

Just about every modular person I know started off with guitar pedals. So I’m guessing you’ve already got a few decent verbs/delays gathering dust somewhere.

So why not opt for a pedal/modular effects loop? I’ve got two, the Strymon (4hp) and a Bastl Hendrikson (5hp). Sadly the Bastl doesn’t fit in the dang 60hp Moog cases. It’s too deep! Only module I ever encountered with that issue. I was so bummed when I realized. Both are fine, but I have to say the CV dry/wet control on the Bastl is niiiice. But the Strymon fits in the case. So...

The beauty of this is you can have as many different effects as you want chained together. If you’ve got any Chase Bliss stuff, you can even get come CV controls, which is always nice. So there’s your effects. Delays, reverbs, chorus, whatever you want. All for 4hp.

Next I’d get some more modulation happening. That single LFO on the M32 only gets you so far. Maths is of course a classic. But as stated earlier, it’s pretty luxurious hp-wise. I’d def opt for something smaller, with a few more options. Batumi I think would be a nice choice for holding down modulation duty for 3 different modules. Not quite as versatile as Maths, but the sheer number of shapes (4 sine, 4 saw, 4 square) will get you WAY further than Maths tweaking all those lovely Moog filters. Wait til you figure out you need a 7u case to get Maths...

So far we got 4hp for power, 4 for effects, and 10 for modulation. But modulation is only good if you can rein it in. M32 basically has one attenuator. So I’d def want at least a few more to sculpt/tame some of those LFOs. I like the WMD 4ttenuator for this. Again, 4hp, and gets it done.

I think what the Moogs lack a bit is some random elements. I agree with homeboy above 100%...Go for a MI Kinks. Again only 4hp. I think that puts us at 26hp. We’re doing pretty good.

Time for some time. Pam’s is a logical choice. May be a bit of overkill for this system, but you’ll always find a use for her down the line. And the amount of time you’ll save NOT diving into the hidden key functions on the Moogs for different rhythms is reason enough to do Pam’s. 8hp for a total of 34. Little over half way there and you’ve covered a lot of bases.

But it’s prob already time to start thinking about how you’re digging your way out. A mixer is a absolute must! Plenty of options out there. You only really need 3 channels.

I’d prob do something like the 4ms Listen Four so you get an output module WITH a mixer. That’s either 12 or 10hp depending on if you want 1/4 or 1/8” outs. So either 44 or 46hp. So at this point you are basically good to go. How to finish it out with at least 14hp left?

Maybe a quad VCA? Though with just the Moogs, I don’t see this as being quite as crucial. I kind of like the idea of an effects loop so you could spread around some of the delay/verb to multiple modules if you wanted. The Ferry from Knob.Farm looks good for that. Though you’d have to figure out a way to route it over multiple channels. That’s why I still like Rosie for an output module. If she had 4 channels (instead of 2) and was true stereo, she’d be the perfect output in my book. You could even just throw in a couple 2hp modules. Maybe a second Verb (for variety)? I use this a lot in the effects sendmif the Rosie just for some subtle verb on the mix.

I’m also leaning a 2hp Euclid or TM (Turing) just for some added random/rhythmic variety.

As stated, another smart move is a Disting Mk4 just so you have anything you forgot. I think we still have room. But you’d be sitting pretty.

windchill
Wiggling with Experience

Post by windchill » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:54 am

Just my personal take of course, but the thought of running those Moogs through Clouds makes me feel queasy. I never liked the sound of it or what it did (and I spent a good deal of time with a Monsoon running Parasites). The reverb, even Oliverb, really isn't very good and the granular smear just seemed to either destroy the input (sometimes useful but an odd thing to do with a Moog) or turn it into dreadful, spangly, succulent plant, ambient. There's a place for Clouds (though I sold mine) but there are better things for your Moogs.

On a more positive note. One thing I recommend that will bring something additional to the Moogs is a wavefolder. Wavefolding was the first thing I tried with my Matriarch. The Joranalogue Fold 6 offers both Serge and Buchla style folding, is only 4hp, and relatively cheap.

FletchNYC
Common Wiggler

Post by FletchNYC » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:23 am

guitargyro wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:18 am
Been down this road...

The short answer is: 60hp really isn’t REALLY enough space for flushing out multiple Moogs. They deserve more. Though I get the allure of the 60hp Moog case as the cherry on top of the 4tier...

My new dream for the Moogs is this: a 7u case that holds my 2 M32s, 2 DFAMs and Subharm, with room for some helpful modules. But at the end of the day, it’s a VERY expensive way of finally being done with the dang Moog power adaptors once and FOR ALL! Those things stink. Eat into my supply of Power Strips! But for as cool as the 4 tier stand looks...it just doesn’t line up that well with my other racks.

That being said, if I had to do it all over again...ok...60hp challenge. Go!

Yeah, the Moogs love verb. And delay. Brings them to life. So how to do you get both and still have some room for more modulation?

Just about every modular person I know started off with guitar pedals. So I’m guessing you’ve already got a few decent verbs/delays gathering dust somewhere.

So why not opt for a pedal/modular effects loop? I’ve got two, the Strymon (4hp) and a Bastl Hendrikson (5hp). Sadly the Bastl doesn’t fit in the dang 60hp Moog cases. It’s too deep! Only module I ever encountered with that issue. I was so bummed when I realized. Both are fine, but I have to say the CV dry/wet control on the Bastl is niiiice. But the Strymon fits in the case. So...

The beauty of this is you can have as many different effects as you want chained together. If you’ve got any Chase Bliss stuff, you can even get come CV controls, which is always nice. So there’s your effects. Delays, reverbs, chorus, whatever you want. All for 4hp.

Next I’d get some more modulation happening. That single LFO on the M32 only gets you so far. Maths is of course a classic. But as stated earlier, it’s pretty luxurious hp-wise. I’d def opt for something smaller, with a few more options. Batumi I think would be a nice choice for holding down modulation duty for 3 different modules. Not quite as versatile as Maths, but the sheer number of shapes (4 sine, 4 saw, 4 square) will get you WAY further than Maths tweaking all those lovely Moog filters. Wait til you figure out you need a 7u case to get Maths...

So far we got 4hp for power, 4 for effects, and 10 for modulation. But modulation is only good if you can rein it in. M32 basically has one attenuator. So I’d def want at least a few more to sculpt/tame some of those LFOs. I like the WMD 4ttenuator for this. Again, 4hp, and gets it done.

I think what the Moogs lack a bit is some random elements. I agree with homeboy above 100%...Go for a MI Kinks. Again only 4hp. I think that puts us at 26hp. We’re doing pretty good.

Time for some time. Pam’s is a logical choice. May be a bit of overkill for this system, but you’ll always find a use for her down the line. And the amount of time you’ll save NOT diving into the hidden key functions on the Moogs for different rhythms is reason enough to do Pam’s. 8hp for a total of 34. Little over half way there and you’ve covered a lot of bases.

But it’s prob already time to start thinking about how you’re digging your way out. A mixer is a absolute must! Plenty of options out there. You only really need 3 channels.

I’d prob do something like the 4ms Listen Four so you get an output module WITH a mixer. That’s either 12 or 10hp depending on if you want 1/4 or 1/8” outs. So either 44 or 46hp. So at this point you are basically good to go. How to finish it out with at least 14hp left?

Maybe a quad VCA? Though with just the Moogs, I don’t see this as being quite as crucial. I kind of like the idea of an effects loop so you could spread around some of the delay/verb to multiple modules if you wanted. The Ferry from Knob.Farm looks good for that. Though you’d have to figure out a way to route it over multiple channels. That’s why I still like Rosie for an output module. If she had 4 channels (instead of 2) and was true stereo, she’d be the perfect output in my book. You could even just throw in a couple 2hp modules. Maybe a second Verb (for variety)? I use this a lot in the effects sendmif the Rosie just for some subtle verb on the mix.

I’m also leaning a 2hp Euclid or TM (Turing) just for some added random/rhythmic variety.

As stated, another smart move is a Disting Mk4 just so you have anything you forgot. I think we still have room. But you’d be sitting pretty.
Man, I can't thank you enough for this detailed and thoughtful response. And the fact that you actually own the Moogs, and have experience using them with Eurorack modules, really adds so much value to what you've said. There are only a few issues I'm having putting the rack together as you've outlined it:

1) I don't own any guitar pedals, so I don't think the Strymon would work for me. The only 4HP Strymon I'm seeing on Modular grid is the AA.1, and without external gear, I don' think that module would be very useful to me. Do you have any other delay/reverb recommendations? A lot of people have recommended get one, or two, FX Aids. And yea, sucks that the Moog cases aren't a little deeper. They can hold a large majority of modules, but every now and then, you'll come across one that won't fit. The ES-9, for example.

2) I agree that some randomization would be really great. Someone else recommended to me Mutable Instruments Branches. Have you every used that before? It's 6HP, so a little larger than Kinks, but I'm curious how they compare. I was also recommended Qu-Bit Data Bender, which seems really, really cool, but not sure If it would make sense to put in such a small case. It's not huge, but 14 HP might still be too large for this situation.

3) I've been a little confused about the output issue. If the modules I'm placing in this fourth row only effect/modulate my Moogs, do I still need an audio out in the fourth row? If I used PAMs as an oscillator, and I didn't have an audio out in the fourth row, would I have to run it through the ext. audio in of one of the Moogs? I like your idea of using a mixer with an audio out, I've just been scratching my head as to whether I need one, or not, or if the 2HP 4 channel mixer would be enough.

Here's the rack so far. 18 HP left to fill, as current constructed: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1460144

I think this is a pretty brilliant row you've put together, as it seems very logical, and make sense to me. Just needing the right effects to really give it flight. I agree that a larger rack is needed, and will certainly come in the future, but I want to start slow, and build gradually. I'm still putting the pieces together as to how modular works (currently reading Patch and Tweak w/ Moog), so I want to deepen my understanding before emptying the piggy bank when I don't even really know what I'm doing, or how to properly put a rack together where all the pieces make a fully functioning whole.

guitargyro
Common Wiggler

Post by guitargyro » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:45 am

Branches seems cool. I don’t have it but I think I stick with my 2hp recs of Euclid or TM. Seem like slightly more musical/smaller options. And the Euc/TM can go from totally musical to totally whacked depending on how you clock the reset/step dealies. Though I think whichever way you go, those combined with Kinks will be quite useful. Wogglebug is another really fun one.

Bummer about the pedals but there’s so many other options. Sadly the ones I really like for Moog tend to be on the bigger side. Mimeophon is nice cuz it has the Halo-verby built in. And it’s not HUGE, only 16hp. Sounds really good with DFAM, but everything else too. Though my fave might still be the 4ms DLD. Which can operate as two delays in one. So yeah you could use two separate Moogs through it. But yeah it’s big.

With 60hp it’s kind of all about just cramming it ALL in. So sometimes foregoing the sexy cool delays over more utilitarian. FX Aid>Mimeophon...2hp Delay AND Verb>DLD, if that makes sense.

But for me, if you stick with the rack you have it...I think I’d go Mimeophon and a 2hp Euclid. Highly functional and SOLID. And gets you making nice sounding music right away.

But I do think for the space argument that the FX Aids would be a solid choice. I don’t think they would win many delay shootouts or anything. But, like Pam’s, you’ll always be glad you have them around.

FX Aids maybe opens up the options for a small double or triple VCA that you could do cool stuff with.

I do have a Desmodus Versio on the way which I just know is going to slay with the Moogs. Technically only a verb, but I guess you can also switch firmware to their equivalent delay module in a clutch.

I think without the pedal module the idea of getting a working effects loop becomes even more alluring and I think you could rig one using a VCA somehow.

Pam’s can be set so different channels do different things. Gates/triggers/LFOs...but I don’t think any would be used going into the Ext IN on the Moogs, which as far as I have used it, is just for processing external signals through the Moogs filter or EG etc...Like a oscillator or guitar. Though honestly I haven’t tried. Try it!

Though it sounds from your last post that you may actually still be using the 1/4” outs on the Moogs? That kind of changes things for me. And I’m honestly not sure how you use euro effects without using the VCA outs on the Moogs combined with an output/mixer module to monitor. Hmm.

In that case you still might look into the non-euro mixer/interface route? I’ve got a Behringer (cringe) XR-18 that I use that (I have to say) is hard to beat price/feature wise. Has 16 tracks (which is so luxurious...I’ve got ALL my keyboard synths/Elektron stuff/modular/Moog euro all patched in, READY TO PLAY, no plugging stuff in EVER AGAIN), all with every decent built in effect you can imagine. I was using the Moogs through the delays and verbs and
I have to say they were totally useable. Not that sexy of a buy though and I can’t condone Behringer. I just couldn’t justify spending 4 times as much for the same options on a mixer, and still coming up short on channels. So, if you have less needs for channels, you could do something sweet like the SSL SIX. Though it’s a big buy. But I have no doubt it would be KILLER with the Moogs, especially if you’re recording them.

A lot of people still opt and are happy with the audio interface route. It does offer many options once you start syncing clocks via MIDI and have some good plugins. I will say the good UA plugins will give pretty much any eurorack delay/verb a run for its money, if not out perform them straight out. They usually only go for about $200 and could save you a boat load of loot over time. There are many really good ones. But for me, I want to stay as far away from the computer screen, for as long as I possibly can. But again, nothing is EVER cheaper by trying to get it done solely in Euro.

Many options. Too many. Haha.

I’d still opt for the euro mixer/output route. Stay off the screen time for now. The 60hp will be fun for a while.

The real fun with the Moog stuff happens when you start using other sequencers...but 60hp just isn’t enough.

Best advice I could give you is, you’re just beginning a LONG road. So buy modules that you KNOW you’ll like and will want go keep. The 60hp will quickly get outgrown. But if you still have cool modules you’ll find other uses for them.

Good luck.

FletchNYC
Common Wiggler

Post by FletchNYC » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:02 pm

guitargyro wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:45 am
Branches seems cool. I don’t have it but I think I stick with my 2hp recs of Euclid or TM. Seem like slightly more musical/smaller options. And the Euc/TM can go from totally musical to totally whacked depending on how you clock the reset/step dealies. Though I think whichever way you go, those combined with Kinks will be quite useful. Wogglebug is another really fun one.

Bummer about the pedals but there’s so many other options. Sadly the ones I really like for Moog tend to be on the bigger side. Mimeophon is nice cuz it has the Halo-verby built in. And it’s not HUGE, only 16hp. Sounds really good with DFAM, but everything else too. Though my fave might still be the 4ms DLD. Which can operate as two delays in one. So yeah you could use two separate Moogs through it. But yeah it’s big.

With 60hp it’s kind of all about just cramming it ALL in. So sometimes foregoing the sexy cool delays over more utilitarian. FX Aid>Mimeophon...2hp Delay AND Verb>DLD, if that makes sense.

But for me, if you stick with the rack you have it...I think I’d go Mimeophon and a 2hp Euclid. Highly functional and SOLID. And gets you making nice sounding music right away.

But I do think for the space argument that the FX Aids would be a solid choice. I don’t think they would win many delay shootouts or anything. But, like Pam’s, you’ll always be glad you have them around.

FX Aids maybe opens up the options for a small double or triple VCA that you could do cool stuff with.

I do have a Desmodus Versio on the way which I just know is going to slay with the Moogs. Technically only a verb, but I guess you can also switch firmware to their equivalent delay module in a clutch.

I think without the pedal module the idea of getting a working effects loop becomes even more alluring and I think you could rig one using a VCA somehow.

Pam’s can be set so different channels do different things. Gates/triggers/LFOs...but I don’t think any would be used going into the Ext IN on the Moogs, which as far as I have used it, is just for processing external signals through the Moogs filter or EG etc...Like a oscillator or guitar. Though honestly I haven’t tried. Try it!

Though it sounds from your last post that you may actually still be using the 1/4” outs on the Moogs? That kind of changes things for me. And I’m honestly not sure how you use euro effects without using the VCA outs on the Moogs combined with an output/mixer module to monitor. Hmm.

In that case you still might look into the non-euro mixer/interface route? I’ve got a Behringer (cringe) XR-18 that I use that (I have to say) is hard to beat price/feature wise. Has 16 tracks (which is so luxurious...I’ve got ALL my keyboard synths/Elektron stuff/modular/Moog euro all patched in, READY TO PLAY, no plugging stuff in EVER AGAIN), all with every decent built in effect you can imagine. I was using the Moogs through the delays and verbs and
I have to say they were totally useable. Not that sexy of a buy though and I can’t condone Behringer. I just couldn’t justify spending 4 times as much for the same options on a mixer, and still coming up short on channels. So, if you have less needs for channels, you could do something sweet like the SSL SIX. Though it’s a big buy. But I have no doubt it would be KILLER with the Moogs, especially if you’re recording them.

A lot of people still opt and are happy with the audio interface route. It does offer many options once you start syncing clocks via MIDI and have some good plugins. I will say the good UA plugins will give pretty much any eurorack delay/verb a run for its money, if not out perform them straight out. They usually only go for about $200 and could save you a boat load of loot over time. There are many really good ones. But for me, I want to stay as far away from the computer screen, for as long as I possibly can. But again, nothing is EVER cheaper by trying to get it done solely in Euro.

Many options. Too many. Haha.

I’d still opt for the euro mixer/output route. Stay off the screen time for now. The 60hp will be fun for a while.
Thanks again for your thoughtful response.

Kinks with Euclid sounds like a great pairing. I was just mentioning Branches, because someone else with Moogs said they had really enjoyed using it with their trio. But two people in this thread have now recommended Kinks, so I feel good about that selection.

Mimeophon looks amazing, as does Desmodus Versio. So many cool effects modules you can get whiplash trying to choose between them. As soon as you think you've found the one you want, it's like wait - look over over there! Really hard to choose between getting an FX Aid and a Disting EX, or something like a Mimeophon, DLD, Clouds, Etc.

I use a small 4 channel Behringer MX400 mixer that I plug the 1/4" audio outs to, so that I can monitor the three Moog modules. I also have an audio interface, and Ableton, but I decided to turn off the computer some time ago, and haven't looked back since.

I assumed you could still use the VSA outs on the Moogs, and interact with other Eurorack modules, even if you're also using the 1/4" audio outs with an external mixer. Do you not believe this to be the case?

Here are two racks I've put together at Modular Grid. One with the Mimephon, and one with a Disting and FX Aid.

If you were to choose, which one would you say is preferable? What changes might you make? If I were to continue using the external Behringer 4 channel mixer, do I still need the Four Quarters?

Rack A) https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1460144

Rack B) https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1460339

guitargyro
Common Wiggler

Post by guitargyro » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:19 pm

VCA will still work.

Can’t go wrong either way I’d say. Def a case to be made for the Disting obv giving you more options. I’ve got the Mk4. Looks like you’ve got the EX! So basically like 2 Dists in one. That’s a VERY capable setup. But these days I hardly end up using it mainly because I can never remember the menu code for what I want. Haha.

Personally I’d go Mimeo. Even though it’s less options in a way. Great delay. Very much like adding another voice in itself.

I do think the mixer is the way to go. Even got a headphone out for late nights if need be.

Kawouddd
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kawouddd » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:24 pm

Consider an ochd? Buckets of LFOs in 4hp, god I miss LFOs in my moog triple.

Edit: as a rtfm serial failure, I examined the panels about three dozen times when they first landed. “One LFO... there can’t be... there must be... one lfo? Across three... no... must... be.... others...?”

guitargyro
Common Wiggler

Post by guitargyro » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:04 pm

Kawouddd wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:24 pm

Edit: as a rtfm serial failure, I examined the panels about three dozen times when they first landed. “One LFO... there can’t be... there must be... one lfo? Across three... no... must... be.... others...?”
This. Thought about making this recommendation. I’ve got mine in my drum Skiff. The speeds are all quite musical.

FletchNYC
Common Wiggler

Post by FletchNYC » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:59 pm

guitargyro wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:04 pm
Kawouddd wrote:

This. Thought about making this recommendation. I’ve got mine in my drum Skiff. The speeds are all quite musical.
I'm a little confused about the Four Quarters mixer. If I have the Moogs going into the 4 channel Behringer, and my headphones are plugged into the Behringer as well, how would I use the Four Quarters mixer?

You're recommending the OCHD over the Batumi?

Do you think this is a better rack than the previous two?: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1460707

Removing the Batumi freed up 6HP, so I put the FX Aid in that spot, though perhaps I wouldn't need it as much since the Mimeophon is already in play. Would you recommend something else for the freed up 6 HP?

My apologies for asking so many questions, you've just been giving excellent advice, so I'm trying to mine your knowledge as much as I can before you tell me to get lost lol.

natureclubcassettes
Veteran Wiggler

Post by natureclubcassettes » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:34 pm

frankly that doesn't look fun to me. it looks crowded, like you're trying to fit everything possible in that last row. keep in mind that you'll probably want more modules in the future. I mean, I did!

If you like the form factor of the Moogs I wouldn't shy away from larger modules, like the first iteration of this rack. I've learned that I personally do not enjoy playing a bunch of small modules that are really close together.

you're going to need a bigger boat. If you like clouds, wait for clouds2 or get one of the clones with sliders for each parameter. I love my clouds (factory built) esp with parasites. Maybe not a popular opinion but I love the looping delay setting, which I use most frequently.

Maths is a great learning tool and also will tell you what other utilities you need to enhance the Moogs and what ever fx you choose. It's popular for a reason :) . Ditto for disting, though I've never used it as it is not my cup of tea.

My advice: keep the Moogs in a three tier (if that exists) and start a euro rack, maybe 6U 84hp. start with three really interesting modules and expand from there, with an eye towards neat fx and useful utilities to make the Moogs shine.

Also, if you are already using a external mixer you can always use some pedals to process the synth. My Boss DD-7 accepts clocks from the modular, instant 7 sec (or so) clocked delay.

guitargyro
Common Wiggler

Post by guitargyro » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:28 pm

FletchNYC wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:59 pm
guitargyro wrote:
Kawouddd wrote:

I'm a little confused about the Four Quarters mixer. If I have the Moogs going into the 4 channel Behringer, and my headphones are plugged into the Behringer as well, how would I use the Four Quarters mixer?

Do you think this is a better rack than the previous two?: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1460707

Removing the Batumi freed up 6HP, so I put the FX Aid in that spot, though perhaps I wouldn't need it as much since the Mimeophon is already in play. Would you recommend something else for the freed up 6 HP?

My apologies for asking so many questions, you've just been giving excellent advice, so I'm trying to mine your knowledge as much as I can before you tell me to get lost lol.
All good. There’s not much info on this in the M32 manual. Actually there is none. Patchbay info is pretty vague in there. But I think maybe you haven’t used euro effects yet with the Moog? You aren’t going to hear any effects through the 1/4” outs of the Mother with your PA mixer no matter how you patch (unless I’ve been doing it wrong for a LONG time haha). You’ve got to take your VCA out on the M32 into whatever effects and then route the output of said effects to the 4ms Mixer.

Same for the DFAM and Subharm. They’ll go through the euromixer as well. So yeah, now you’ll prob want to use one stereo channel on your PA mixer (for all 3 synths), as opposed to 3 separate PA channels. Capeesh?

guitargyro
Common Wiggler

Post by guitargyro » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:42 pm

natureclubcassettes wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:34 pm
frankly that doesn't look fun to me. it looks crowded, like you're trying to fit everything possible in that last row. keep in mind that you'll probably want more modules in the future. I mean, I did!

If you like the form factor of the Moogs I wouldn't shy away from larger modules, like the first iteration of this rack. I've learned that I personally do not enjoy playing a bunch of small modules that are really close together.

you're going to need a bigger boat. If you like clouds, wait for clouds2 or get one of the clones with sliders for each parameter. I love my clouds (factory built) esp with parasites. Maybe not a popular opinion but I love the looping delay setting, which I use most frequently.

Maths is a great learning tool and also will tell you what other utilities you need to enhance the Moogs and what ever fx you choose. It's popular for a reason :) . Ditto for disting, though I've never used it as it is not my cup of tea.

My advice: keep the Moogs in a three tier (if that exists) and start a euro rack, maybe 6U 84hp. start with three really interesting modules and expand from there, with an eye towards neat fx and useful utilities to make the Moogs shine.

Also, if you are already using a external mixer you can always use some pedals to process the synth. My Boss DD-7 accepts clocks from the modular, instant 7 sec (or so) clocked delay.
To each their own I guess. I don’t find that setup to be over crowded myself. Even with my meat hooks.

From my first hand experience with the 3 tier, it’s definitely nice having basic utility stuff as to close the Moogs as possible. When I started my main rack, I almost didn’t touch the Moogs for like a year just because of logistics. Opens a whole can of worms no one ever sees coming. Long cables, finding a case that doesn’t fit too awkwardly on a table next to the 3 tier, etc.

Of course this is all personal taste. But I like to have things close by. But yeah I said many posts ago that there was no way this journey ends with the 60hp. A larger rack is likely inevitable.

And I stand by my saying that everyone of those modules would get ample usage whether he ends up with a 60hp case or 800hp. None of them are small for the sake of being small. I love big modules as much as the next bloke. Got a VCAM, all the 4ms stuff actually. Only time hp comes to mind is when there isn’t any.

Maths is a great learning tool. I’m still very much learning everything you can do with it. But I still probably wouldn’t recommend it to someone with 3 LFO starved Moogs as the sole modulation source. The day he gets a 7u it would be my first recommendation.

Also, not to mention, it’s really hard to find medium/big cases these days. You can maybe find unpowered Skiffs. But then you’re in the same boat as the 60hp in a few months anyway. So what’s the difference? I’d do the 60hp as a learning/grace period.

If you break it down to simple economic terms it just makes more sense to put smaller modules in a 60hp case. You’ll get the added convenience of having them close. It just doesn’t make sense to me to pay for a 60hp case, power supply, and then only fit 2-3 modules in it. If I was going to do that, yeah, big case makes WAY more sense.

The real question for me is, does it make more sense to put the Moogs in a case and be done with the blasted Adaptors once and for all? Someday. Though I may end up building my own case for that purpose.

And I’d prob stick with Batumi. But that’s just me. OCHD is cool. But more for random type duties. But if that’s where you’re leaning than go for it.

FletchNYC
Common Wiggler

Post by FletchNYC » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:33 pm

guitargyro wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:28 pm
FletchNYC wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:59 pm
guitargyro wrote:
Kawouddd wrote:

All good. There’s not much info on this in the M32 manual. Actually there is none. Patchbay info is pretty vague in there. But I think maybe you haven’t used euro effects yet with the Moog? You aren’t going to hear any effects through the 1/4” outs of the Mother with your PA mixer no matter how you patch (unless I’ve been doing it wrong for a LONG time haha). You’ve got to take your VCA out on the M32 into whatever effects and then route the output of said effects to the 4ms Mixer.

Same for the DFAM and Subharm. They’ll go through the euromixer as well. So yeah, now you’ll prob want to use one stereo channel on your PA mixer (for all 3 synths), as opposed to 3 separate PA channels. Capeesh?
Haha. Well, I'd say that's a pretty important nugget of information. I've never heard that before, and none of my past iterations of this rack have ever had an output. I would have been pretty disappointed If I had spent over a grand on a bunch of modules, and then I couldn't even hear them! The funny thing is Moog has a picture of them using Eurorack modules with the trilogy, and there's no mixer or anything, so I didn't think one was needed: https://www.moogmusic.com/products/moth ... rack-stand. It's possible that this is just a picture though, and not meant to be an example of how you should construct a rack. *shrugs*

I'm not gonna waste anymore of your time, you've been more than helpful and I'm extremely grateful for you input. The learning curve with Eurorack is pretty formidable, so it's very much appreciated when people that actually understand this world a little, lend a hand to the rest of us.

I disagree with the other poster, I think the modules you've suggested are a much better collection than what I started with, and this rack seems very exciting and versatile to me. Lots to work with for a beginner, and will breathe some new life into the Moogs. I also agree that if I were to get a separate rack right now, I probably would only use the Eurorack modules, and wouldn't patch with my Moogs as much. A four tier rack is preferable for right now. In the future, who knows what I might end up doing.

A much as I love the potential of the Mimeophon, I think I'm actually leaning a bit toward this rack: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1460339

It just seems more "can't miss" because of all the options offered with the FX Aid and Disting Ex. The Disting Ex also has a larger screen than the MK4, with more information, so I think it kind of solves the problem of always needing your notes for it. I also think I like the capability of the Batumi over the OCHD. Not sure about that 2 HP VCA. Could possibly switch that out for a mult, or something, but I hear you can never go wrong with more VCAs.

Thanks again for all the help. Really appreciate it!

guitargyro
Common Wiggler

Post by guitargyro » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:53 pm

All good. I think that will be a lot of fun. The Disting EX has got you covered.

To be clear, you’d hear all the modulation from the other modules coming through the 1/4” out. Just not the reverb/delays. Moog prob should have put in an effects loop for us in the patchbay. That would have been sweet. Then again, you never know what might be coming around the bend with those guys.

I’ve often daydreamed about a kind of modulation/effects/output hub for the Moog Eurorack world. They’d definitely sell. Especially if they sounded like the old MF-104 and had enough juice to power a 4 tier. Take my money now.

Could it be the recent arrival of the 4th tier is no mere coincidence? Stranger things have happened. Stay tuned.

Enjoy the Moogs! You’ve got a lot of possibilities with that setup.

FletchNYC
Common Wiggler

Post by FletchNYC » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:16 am

guitargyro wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:53 pm
All good. I think that will be a lot of fun. The Disting EX has got you covered.

To be clear, you’d hear all the modulation from the other modules coming through the 1/4” out. Just not the reverb/delays. Moog prob should have put in an effects loop for us in the patchbay. That would have been sweet. Then again, you never know what might be coming around the bend with those guys.

I’ve often daydreamed about a kind of modulation/effects/output hub for the Moog Eurorack world. They’d definitely sell. Especially if they sounded like the old MF-104 and had enough juice to power a 4 tier. Take my money now.

Could it be the recent arrival of the 4th tier is no mere coincidence? Stranger things have happened. Stay tuned.

Hey, I was wondering if I could pick your brain one last time. I was thinking that if I went with a rack that has a little more space, I could get a few of the modules that people had been recommending, but that couldn’t fit in my 60 HP row. So, I expanded the rack a bit, and this allowed me to add a few of the modules you highly recommended. Would you mind taking a look at this new rack, and letting me know your thoughts? Now that I have more space would you still recommend going with kinks/Euclid for randomization, or would you now choose something better, would you go with mimeophon, or should I make room for the DLD? Any help would be appreciated: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1471691

1n
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 1n » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:37 am

Envelope follower
Resonant Equalizer
3x sample and hold for melodic randomization
attenuverting mixer
Moonsoon
Mimeophon

Some modules I like that may give you ways to complement what the Moogs do.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-02-12 at 13.33.10.png

Kawouddd
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kawouddd » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:42 am

I have just parked this next to my moog triple.

I had a Syntrx there, which was fantastically simple (patch cable wise) but didn’t really offer the modulation that was missing from the moogs. The pressure points is coming out (there’s a problem with the case, doesn’t work unless I hold the case, assume grounding problem?!) and being replaced by a WMD 4tten / quad attenuators, a Doepfer 178 theremin, and a WMD crater.

The core is to have synced and unsynced clocks, attenuated and unattenuated LFOs, and a decent all round mix of shizzle.
8F57A086-F50A-45E0-87D5-86A2902EF12F.jpeg

guitargyro
Common Wiggler

Post by guitargyro » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:33 pm

FletchNYC wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:16 am
guitargyro wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:53 pm

Hey, I was wondering if I could pick your brain one last time. I was thinking that if I went with a rack that has a little more space, I could get a few of the modules that people had been recommending, but that couldn’t fit in my 60 HP row. So, I expanded the rack a bit, and this allowed me to add a few of the modules you highly recommended. Would you mind taking a look at this new rack, and letting me know your thoughts? Now that I have more space would you still recommend going with kinks/Euclid for randomization, or would you now choose something better, would you go with mimeophon, or should I make room for the DLD? Any help would be appreciated: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1471691
Whoa! That escalated quickly! Haha. Welcome to the wonderful world of modular...

Here’s the thing. I have had a slight change of heart regarding racking the Moogs. But only because after obsessing over it forever, I finally took action into my own hands and built this frame over them, and a shelf for some Skiffs. Check it out.
EAFC5C73-9EA3-47B9-859E-74816AC3F291.jpeg
Anyway. It appears I am definitely now living with these Moogs in their 4 tier for the time being. Reason being, if you do the math on housing them in a case (as I long thought was their destiny), you end up dropping some serious coin on racking 3-4 Moogs. I did some hp/$$$ calculations and it’s like buying what is typically a $650-1000 case and 60-80% of it being ALL GONE in 3-4 modules. All for the annoyance over some AC adaptors...

What I have learned in just a few days with my hand built frame is that the REAL issue with the Moogs was simple ergonomics...Getting them integrated with my other stuff. Now...that is no longer an issue in the least.

And the beauty of it is, I only spent $119 in wood and screws and got exactly what I needed.

Of course this isn’t answering any of your questions. But...I felt it necessary to come clean about my earlier advice to rack the Moogs. I think I was wrong...now. That being said, if money was no object, racking them would of course be super cool, if you’ve got a HUGE rack to spare.

As for the modules...I stand by all the ones I recommended. In general, I don’t buy ANYTHING anymore unless it’s something I know I won’t want to part with. Even if I end up needing to take it out of a rack to make temporary room, I tend to hold onto modules unless they have just become totally redundant to me.

I still use Kinks all the time. Even though I did also recently get a Divkid/SSF RND as well, which is an interesting option considering you DO have 3 Moogs to tweak. Though the Kinks does offer a few other tricks the RND doesn’t have. I’d prob still go Kinks.

I don’t think you can go wrong with either the DLD or Mimeo. Both are GREAT delays. Both with certain advantages. DLD could technically operate as two separate delays for two separate Moogs...Mimeo does have built in verb...

I think Batumi AND Maths would be a pretty killer modulation section for that sized rack. And you’ll definitely NEVER outgrow either of those modules no matter how big/small you go. The Data B would be a cool contrasting voice for the Moogs.

I know it goes against all conventional wisdom, but of all the modules you have there, the one that seems most likely to gather dust to me would be...the Quad VCA. But only because since your rack is heavily based around 3 Moogs with their own VCAs/EGs, you likely won’t use the ext VCAs a bunch until you get some other modules down the road. Don’t get me wrong, there is always a way to do some cool stuff with 4 extra VCAs, but what would they be in THIS rack? Maybe someone else will hopefully weigh in to tell me I’m wrong. Because I literally just ordered the exact same thing (only Intellijel...though the Malekko mutes may even have been cooler).

If I was going to do one thing different it might be to get some kind of Random powerhouse in the mix, like Wogglebug. Or possibly some alternative sequencing stuff for the Moogs. I just ordered a Varigate 4+ that I think might be very cool as a MUCH quicker way to program in some cool rhythmic stuff on my Mothers/DFAM.

Consider this as well...if you keep the Moogs in their 3 tier, that opens up the option of getting whatever case you’re looking at, and having ALL of that to grow into, and expand out of the Moog sphere. Which can be slightly limiting. But that’s a topic for later discussions (and has been talked to death on 1000 other posts).

Good luck deciding!
Last edited by guitargyro on Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:28 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”