MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

x0xb0x Building !
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Author x0xb0x Building !
Synesthesia
Hi All, finally got all the part to make a x0xb0x.

Will be posting a couple of pics an the advancement. I am starting with the harder : the USB chip .

What a fucking bitch of hell. I got 2 side down, 2 side to go, but i had to stop cause my eyes can't see straight anymore - I have a cold - flu and can't focus very well right now . but still such a bitch to solder !

It is bridging all the time so it is taking hours ...

http://www.ladyada.net/make/x0xb0x/fab/ioboard/index.html

I am open for any advises !
razz
neandrewthal
I royally fucked the USB chip in mine. I had bridges all over I couldn't clean up, so I just cut the traces that supply power to the chip to prevent shorts and moved on seriously, i just don't get it
giorgio
i got mine with the usb chip soldered this time. i did the usb chip last time with a small tip on my iron and a lot of bong hits. i also stayed up until 6am last night building mine. i almost built the whole thing in one 14 hour session. the only thing left this morning was the LEDs, rotary switches, and putting it all together... i got the faceplate on and that helped when soldering the LEDs for sure, otherwise it was tough to make sure each one was straight.
goiks
i have been wanting to build one of these for forever, but i'm having a hard time deciding to do so because they seem pretty cheap now and it also seems like a used one might turn up at some time. how much did you all spend on your parts do you think?
giorgio
willzyx is cheap and the kit is great, it made assembly so much easier since all the parts were in labeled bags.

even cheaper:
http://www.willzyx.com/products/blemished-x0xb0x-complete-kit
Synesthesia
yeah - i got my rare parts a year ago, a bit more parts from a trade, and willzyx sold me the missing parts - he is a really good guy.

Happy to here that if i fuck up the chip, i can still manage smile thanks neandrewthal
twisted which traces ?

giorgio - i'd love to do that - but i am so not able to manage today . i am actually missing my first synth meeting, which is pissing me off a little bit.
but i am in holidays next week, so i hope finishing it before next week end smile

giorgio are you building it all and test, or build it progressively and test, such as on the x0xb0x website ?
giorgio
i tested it as i built it for the most part:

built PSU, tested it
built VCO, tested it
built filter, my printed instructions didn't have the test point listed razz
built ENV and VCA, tested it.
built sequencer
assembled it.
posted this.
final test soon.
neandrewthal
Synesthesia wrote:
Happy to here that if i fuck up the chip, i can still manage smile thanks neandrewthal
twisted which traces ?

I can't remember and didn't writet it down. I just got the schematic off Luka to check which pins are powered then cut those traces and check for no continuity between 5v and anywhere on the chip after.
Synesthesia
Thanks - still haven't gave up - i'll try to finish the ship tomorrow .

giorgio BRING ON SOME DAMN ACID DUDE !!!!
giorgio
so far so good. IT WORKS!
It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners Rockin' Banana!
next I am off to test cv, midi and dinsync
giorgio
i also found my original x0xb0x #200 tag yesssssss
Synesthesia
Made a total ball out of soldering this freakin chip. 2 side nicelly done, the 2 others with bridges i can't seem to get rid off. waah evil

so i have 2 solution there :

- get a new board with chip pre-soldered. As willzyx is not providing this - who does ?

- isolate the chip and continue with the rest - how to ?
Synesthesia
Update on my Building : after fucking up the chip, and tried to remove it, i finally ordered a new board with chip pre-soldered

Should be receiving it next week smile
Synesthesia
Slow fucking going - i just can't believe it.

- I bought a I/O PCB with presoldered chip finally - from x0xShop.de

Christian has been super fast to ship, and excellent communication. Great guy. until ... the Irish post received the parcel. It then travelled about our lovely country, for a full week. just for fun.

- received the PCB today and start soldering.

For some reason, my 15W thin pin soldering iron is not heating enough. I tried soldering the SMC chip last week and it was working super well - was burning my finger nearly. Now it is barelly melting the stuff. Fuck. WTF !

- But that's fine, i have my other big nuclear soldering iron. So i start soldering.

Until i realise that i do not get good readings. I used my Roland 9V ac adaptor, and my brain never even picked up on that before today.

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrg !!!
giorgio
i found it to be a big help to use 60/40 (lead) solder, and a metal thing instead of a sponge, and to keep tip tinner on hand, and to start with a new tip of the iron when i moved over to the new solder and metal "sponge" cleaning thing. i keep my iron fairly hot as well
frozenkore
Are any of doing any of the mods?
zomgw00t
This is absolutely on my list of things to build now.

~Chappie
astroschnautzer
Does these component kits have the "authentic" components or are there compromises made?
I understand that it is possible to get very near the real tb-303 with the right components and thats what I would like....
djs
astroschnautzer wrote:
Does these component kits have the "authentic" components or are there compromises made?
I understand that it is possible to get very near the real tb-303 with the right components and thats what I would like....

Generally in the kits offered, there are some compromises made that get you probably 95% of the way there. You can usually find the "right components" online, but it requires buying them individually (not as a kit).

Probably your best answers for this is on the adafruit forums. www.adafruit.com
frozenkore
I've got a kit of one of these coming in the mail from here. They claim it's using all the same components.
giorgio
no mods for me. yet... I might implement a few down the road. the x0xb0x sequencer just isn't the same as the FRR though. but it didn't feel "right" when sync'd to my other gear for some reason. dunno quite why. the x0xb0x syncs up nice and night. as do the 808, 909, STG Suite, Flame Clockwork, etc...
Synesthesia
no mods for me ! and i got my components from Gaetano from the x0xb0x forum wink
darenager
FWIW you don't NEED the USB part working unless you want to flash the firmware or use that x0x backup software, you can get the uP flashed with sokkos or other OS if you ask on the forum. Having said this it is handy to have the USB working.

Some of the mods I recommend are bass boost, env range extend, cutoff range extend, accent sweep switch, accent amount switch. All of those still work nice within the 303 type sound range thumbs up
Neutron7
I have an x0xbox, that was prebuilt in china or something (the volume control had a dry joint on it, pretty shoddy), I bought it used thinking it was a proper kit build. anyways I would like to do some mods before i Re box it with a new panel, where can i find out about those mods daranager?

I do like the sound though its very close(i bought a 303 for the original $260 canadian, when it first came out but someone stole it at a party, thankfully before it was popular so i did not freak out that badly smile), If you do happen to use a computer, i recommend the free TB from synthschool.com, makes a great "second voice" to real hardware.
computer controlled
I've built 4 so far.

applause
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 1 of 7