MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Lemur or iPad?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Lemur or iPad?
Soundwave
i would like to know how this is nowadays... of course the best would be the experience of people who had both

lot of people start to sell their lemurs, the price is going really deep, but i'm still not sure if i should take one or not, tough i could get one for under 1000$, which is ridiculous compared to the old new price of 3000$ or something
gryfon1
The biggest difference I've noticed so far is that the Lemur will track/resound to all ten fingers (assuming the layout is set up that way) whereas the iPad either doesn't or can't.
That alone could convince me to keep my Lemur...

On the other hand, the Lemur requires you to program your layout & functionality, unless you get lucky and find that someone else has done that work and shared it. It's probably a much easier interface builder to work with, but that can distract from actually putting it to productive use. The never-ending dilemma seriously, i just don't get it

Cheers,
the gryfon
franzschuier
I own both and am selling my Lemur for supercheap.

what do you want it for?

Remote control for Logic & Ableton? - Buy an iPad - better, cheaper, ligther etc...

Remote Control for Max Msp Stuff, Reaktor standalone Synths, emulate a monome & the need for bidirectional control - Lemur
Nuuj
There are iPad apps that react to 10+ simultaneous touches.
chinard
gryfon1 wrote:
The biggest difference I've noticed so far is that the Lemur will track/resound to all ten fingers (assuming the layout is set up that way) whereas the iPad either doesn't or can't.

i have used ipad apps that do. i have used it with apps like morphwiz.
it could be that whatever ipad app you tested it with didnt have all 10 points implemented.

i havent had a chance to explore Touch OSC yet to see how many points it recognizes.
Soundwave
franzschuier wrote:

what do you want it for?

i want to trigger clips in ableton in live situations, i have 16 tracks in ableton, and maybe also control some fx and stuff.
it's important for me to read the name of the clips and having colors while triggering them.
i also would like to have the ability to chose my track in ableton, whithout having to take the mouse. and mutes...

the lunchpad is cheap, but not the solutions which is really suitable for me.

their could be also other use in the end, but the priority would be for live acts.
Nelson Baboon
This comparison comes up over and over, and generally people entirely miss the point, comparing the state of the multitouch technology almost exclusively. There is very little comparison between the 2.

The ipad runs lots of individual apps, some of them pretty cool and some of which will make their own sounds, and none of them even remotely approach the level of customization and complexity that you can get programming the Lemur. They are 2 totally different things, and if you are comparing one versus the other, you should probably get an ipad - or at least think about what you want to use the lemur for, and see if there is something available for the ipad that will do it.

Comparing the lemur to an ipad is kind of like comparing max/msp to a softsynth - one isn't necessarily better than the other in an absolute sense, but the comparison is just a little off.
Soundwave
i already wrote what i would like to use it for. i have a pretty exact concept of what it should be able of.

also an argument, it should be stable as a rock... a wifi loss while playing live isn't what i want
gryfon1
chinard wrote:
gryfon1 wrote:

it could be that whatever ipad app you tested it with didnt have all 10 points implemented.

i havent had a chance to explore Touch OSC yet to see how many points it recognizes.

Good to hear. I haven't dug all that deeply into it, but did notice that the apps I was working with seemed limited to 2 or 3 fingers.
Might be time to make an update request of the developers.
I, too, have yet to dig into Touch OSC. One of these days...

Cheers,
the gryfon
chinard
gryfon1 wrote:
chinard wrote:
gryfon1 wrote:

Good to hear. I haven't dug all that deeply into it, but did notice that the apps I was working with seemed limited to 2 or 3 fingers.
Might be time to make an update request of the developers.
I, too, have yet to dig into Touch OSC. One of these days...

Cheers,
the gryfon

yeah i was just testing it out again.
under morphwiz (which is a good test because it highlights your finger position) i was able to track 10 fingers but when i tried using 11 fingers it wasn't able to track.
boramx
chinard wrote:

under morphwiz (which is a good test because it highlights your finger position) i was able to track 10 fingers but when i tried using 11 fingers it wasn't able to track.

did you need to put your penis on the ipad to accomplish this test?
franzschuier
Soundwave wrote:

i want to trigger clips in ableton in live situations, i have 16 tracks in ableton, and maybe also control some fx and stuff.
it's important for me to read the name of the clips and having colors while triggering them.
i also would like to have the ability to chose my track in ableton, whithout having to take the mouse. and mutes...

their could be also other use in the end, but the priority would be for live acts.

Buy an Ipad.
No Cables, Much ligther, no PSU needed. Allready ok apps for doing all in Ableton.
For Me the best Solution is Grid for Clips and some other small controller with real faders or knobs for Faders and Volumes.
Soundwave
no cable, this could be bad live...
wifi loss
chinard
boramx wrote:
chinard wrote:

did you need to put your penis on the ipad to accomplish this test?

my penis was busy, had to use nose
EATyourGUITAR
its a fact that the iphone itouch only respond to 6 points. there is a long thread on the ableton website. the ipad uses the exact same technology so as far as everyone on the ableton forum is concerned its still 6 points limitation. I dont know if you checked jazzmutant's site lately but they co-developed a new app for the lemur that has much much more functionality and integration with ableton. its called MU. it shows clip name, color, playback status. you can pinch to zoom the x or y separately. they have jazzmutant/ableton API's and if you own Max 4 Live you already have Ableton/Max API's. osc is native to the lemur so its super accurate and future proof. you can even go wireless with a little linksys addon. the only messing about is when you have a bunch of effects or a max patch and you want to integrate a custom control panel into MU.
attacksustain
Take a look at the front page of http://jazzmutant.com/ today.
Looks like the lemur has no future other than community developed templates.

Quite sad in a way. I have both, and find neither is really 'better'. They both have their pluses and minuses[*]. I found the template editor for the lemur is easier to use than the touchosc editor for eg, but others may feel the opposite.

* (Putting asides that you can get two ipads and a ton of apps for the price of the lemur)
chinard
EATyourGUITAR wrote:
its a fact that the iphone itouch only respond to 6 points. there is a long thread on the ableton website. the ipad uses the exact same technology so as far as everyone on the ableton forum is concerned its still 6 points limitation.

actually i have my ipad right in front of me.
in the morphwiz app it highlights each touchpoint on the screen and i have 10 points going right now and it is displaying all 10 points and playing all 10 notes.
i would take a picture of it but i am out of hands.

i believe you that the iphone has the 6 point restriction, but it is clear that the ipad does not
krv
Soundwave wrote:
franzschuier wrote:

what do you want it for?

I-pad+Touchable! you can't go wrong with that
krv
Soundwave wrote:
no cable, this could be bad live...
wifi loss

if you prefer use a cable get a line6 midi mobilizer, next os update (in a couple of days will support midi and multitasking)

I use I-pad live running touchable with a macbook pro running ableton live and never experienced a wifi loss or any other problem in 10/12 shows
krv
...oh...

Jazzmutant ends today.

http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com/2010/11/end-of-jazzmutant-and-lemur.ht ml
ignatius
krv wrote:
...oh...

Jazzmutant ends today.

http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com/2010/11/end-of-jazzmutant-and-lemur.ht ml

yep. no further software updates. the last ones have come out of the factory and are forsale at 25% discount (still about $1100) and come w/the free dexter app or whatever it's called.

they are still going to develop the software though it sounds like it will be for 3rd party devices.

all the info is in their faq. this is probably good news for the tablet world in general if it means the jazzmutant people will be throwing their hat into the ring to develop apps.
synthetic
I did a mix with TouchOSC and the latest Logic template last weekend. I was disappointed in the performance. The faders seemed to be fighting me the whole time. I hope they get that straightened out. Also, mixing on "glass faders" is not so fun. Maybe I'll get a Euphonix controller after all.
Soundwave
well after hearing this news, i won't buy the lemur...
Kendall Station
Nelson Baboon wrote:

The ipad runs lots of individual apps, some of them pretty cool and some of which will make their own sounds, and none of them even remotely approach the level of customization and complexity that you can get programming the Lemur.

Comparing the lemur to an ipad is kind of like comparing max/msp to a softsynth - one isn't necessarily better than the other in an absolute sense, but the comparison is just a little off.

Give it a couple years...then shit'll get good hopefully......lemur is amazing from what I've seen, touched.....nothing on the ipad currently comes close, not even Touch-osc (which is still pretty damn cool and probably the most productive app on it)

but yeah, just wait.
Fidgit
Soundwave wrote:
well after hearing this news, i won't buy the lemur...

and i'll probably get a second one...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2