MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Hardware budget Reverb & Digital delay vs Software
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author Hardware budget Reverb & Digital delay vs Software
chamomileshark
This is a sort of continuation on my vintage digital FX post.

I usually buy stuff from the Vemia auctions in the UK and after thought decided that with the number of breakdowns I've already had with vintage stuff that perhaps shelling out £200-£300 for a Bel, early Lexicon or Dynacord digital delay might not be a good move compared to something like a new Lexicon MX400 at £350 - because as I say, I've had a lot of stuff break down and some has been unfixable.

But now I'm wondering whether with software like Aether and Acoustic Arts for reverb, the PSP delays and Ohmboyz that I will will get much more with the lexicon MX400.

Thoughts anyone?
tuj
esoteric hardware will always have a special place in my heart, something that software hasn't yet done for me.
chamomileshark
Esoteric yes, for example I have a MXR Pitch Transposer, CV controls and bearly controlable if you crank up the regen and hit -0.1 after setting it on +0.1. Also my Korg analogue delay.

But I wonder about the more straightforward bread and butter reverb and digital delays...
tuj
I simply love hardware. Each piece as a certain 'character', even modern and cheap pieces like a zoom 1204 which has terrible reverbs that occasionally find a use, but has a pretty good vocoder and some nice delay. It definitely colors the sound because of the ADC/DAC processes, as do all the digital boxes, and I think that can be a *good thing* sometimes.

That said, software has amazing capabilities and integration nowdays, but I still find myself turning to Korg reverb boxes and Kurzweil manglers and Sony F7/D7/M7 type units. I love patching in the patchbays and treating the whole setup as one big modular.
chamomileshark
I agree there is that appeal and I have picked up a number of bits and pieces but I going through a "rational" phase, partly driven by the number of breakdowns, which because you actually care about the stuff, can be upsetting - that and space which means that yet again I'm going to have to shift around not only the studio, but because it share the space with my office and study I have to shift stuff generally around the house - to do that I'm going to have to take my modulars apart.

So there is a growing voice saying - don't buy anything in hardware that can be reasonably covered in software - and why not use Aether to cover standard reverb, PSP/Ohmboyz for delay?

It's possibly worth saying I already have a Zoom 9120, Yamaha Rev 7, Korg analogue delay, Boss super chorus, MXR Pitch transposer and two hardware vocoders.
MindMachine
I will say that for the money... the TC Electronics M300 is a mind blower. It is newer and cleaner than the older units you referenced,but it has enough programs w/ a little variance to keep it interesting. The reverbs are varied and TC quality. The odd ball programs (tape delay, spring reverb, other modulators) I find excellent. It is a dual engine box, so that is odd and versatile. It does not have the character of older digital units, but offers enough variation and clean quality effects to make it an all around winner for $100-200 US. There is a newer version now but I cannot vouch for it.

As an aside, for rack effects I currently use: Lexicon Vortex/Reflex/LXP-1 & 5, Alesis Microverb III & Deltalabs Effectron II (along w/ TC M300). When the TC unit os too clean, I put it right through something else (including cheap Fender amp w/ spring reverb and direct out).
aeon
Consider dedicated-task digital rack processors from the early-to-mid 90s - you get a nice mix of sound, control, good price, reliability, e.g. Roland SDX-330 Dimensional Expander, Symetrix 606 DelayFX, things like that.

I value the use of plugs when they suit the task and the workflow - and some of them do sound great. That said, certain inexpensive digital racks from not so long ago just sound incredible to my ear.

cheers,
Ian
Babaluma
i have recently been extremely impressed by the valhalla shimmer reverb, and it's only $50. it somewhat makes up for the PCM 70 i recently sold on here.

obvious the digital algorithms are just software, and can be run on any hardware DSP. i think the place where digital outboard has a "sound" is often in the analogue stages, such as the output opamps etc.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1