MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

How well do different modular types play together?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author How well do different modular types play together?
jonkull
So I put together my first modular this month. It's a small 6U Eurorack format system with some Livewire, Doepfer and Plan B modules. I'm planning on putting together another rack over the next few months (mostly CV modules to control the system I already have). My original thought was to do another Eurorack setup. Then it occurred to me...why restrict myself to only Eurorack?

So before I start looking at other systems and manufacturers...is there anything that won't (for any reason) work alongside Eurorack or are they all pretty much compatible with each other?
Cybananna
They're all pretty much compatible. Of course, powered from the proper power supply. You can get into minor annoyances such as mixing 1/8, 1/4, banana jacks etc. though.

Also, Blacet VCA's don't like to open for Doepfer envelopes. There's a few thing that don't work out so well, but just a few.

I share Euro, Frac, Metasonix, and Moog (new Moog not vintage) modular stuff. It works out fine with only a few minor annoyances from time to time.
jonkull
Well that's good to know. Now I just need to start researching what kinds of modules are available in each format and decide on where to start.
elemental
Cybananna wrote:

Also, Blacet VCA's don't like to open for Doepfer envelopes.

Indeed. My poor Blacet Quad VCA is pretty much just a mixer most of the time because of this.
doctorvague
elemental wrote:
Cybananna wrote:

Also, Blacet VCA's don't like to open for Doepfer envelopes.

Indeed. My poor Blacet Quad VCA is pretty much just a mixer most of the time because of this.

Same here. There's a mod you can do that will change it from 10V to 5V sensitivity (p5 of the 2200 manual). It helps, but still doesn't totally solve the mismatch, though, as I believe the basic problem is the exponential vs linear response of the Quad VCA. To bad it isn't switchable to linear. I see that one is 'sold out' on Blacet's page- so maybe he's redesigning?
OTOH his single space 2410 VCA is linear.

Cheers
Phil
haricots
I just ran into a similar issue with my Blacet VCA's and a MOTM EG. Up until a few days ago I've been using the MOTM EG with my Blacet dual VCA which is linear. This works fine. I picked up a Blacet QuadMix which is exponential and it will not open up at all with the MOTM EG.
Kwote
blacet is indeed redesigning. there'll be a new VCA design in 2009 with expo/lin capabilities. i think there might've also been mention of a 10v/5v switch.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1