How well do different modular types play together?

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

jonkull
Lowest Common Denominator Patcher

How well do different modular types play together?

Post by jonkull » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:15 pm

So I put together my first modular this month. It's a small 6U Eurorack format system with some Livewire, Doepfer and Plan B modules. I'm planning on putting together another rack over the next few months (mostly CV modules to control the system I already have). My original thought was to do another Eurorack setup. Then it occurred to me...why restrict myself to only Eurorack?

So before I start looking at other systems and manufacturers...is there anything that won't (for any reason) work alongside Eurorack or are they all pretty much compatible with each other?

Cybananna
Funniest Guy

Post by Cybananna » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:56 pm

They're all pretty much compatible. Of course, powered from the proper power supply. You can get into minor annoyances such as mixing 1/8, 1/4, banana jacks etc. though.

Also, Blacet VCA's don't like to open for Doepfer envelopes. There's a few thing that don't work out so well, but just a few.

I share Euro, Frac, Metasonix, and Moog (new Moog not vintage) modular stuff. It works out fine with only a few minor annoyances from time to time.

jonkull
Lowest Common Denominator Patcher

Post by jonkull » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:17 am

Well that's good to know. Now I just need to start researching what kinds of modules are available in each format and decide on where to start.

elemental
Wiggling with Experience

Post by elemental » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:28 am

Cybananna wrote:.

Also, Blacet VCA's don't like to open for Doepfer envelopes.
Indeed. My poor Blacet Quad VCA is pretty much just a mixer most of the time because of this.

doctorvague
ole fuckity fuck

Post by doctorvague » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:52 am

elemental wrote:
Cybananna wrote:.

Also, Blacet VCA's don't like to open for Doepfer envelopes.
Indeed. My poor Blacet Quad VCA is pretty much just a mixer most of the time because of this.
Same here. There's a mod you can do that will change it from 10V to 5V sensitivity (p5 of the 2200 manual). It helps, but still doesn't totally solve the mismatch, though, as I believe the basic problem is the exponential vs linear response of the Quad VCA. To bad it isn't switchable to linear. I see that one is 'sold out' on Blacet's page- so maybe he's redesigning?
OTOH his single space 2410 VCA is linear.

Cheers
Phil

haricots
Droppin' Loads

Post by haricots » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:58 am

I just ran into a similar issue with my Blacet VCA's and a MOTM EG. Up until a few days ago I've been using the MOTM EG with my Blacet dual VCA which is linear. This works fine. I picked up a Blacet QuadMix which is exponential and it will not open up at all with the MOTM EG.

Kwote
Voltage Controlled Crackpot

Post by Kwote » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:35 pm

blacet is indeed redesigning. there'll be a new VCA design in 2009 with expo/lin capabilities. i think there might've also been mention of a 10v/5v switch.
Self expression is as essential as breathing
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”