MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Echoplex Digital Pro?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Echoplex Digital Pro?
dkcg
Anyone use one of these (or other hardware looper)? I think I'm picking one up and would like to hear other's experiences with using it with synths.
mfirman
dkcg wrote:
Anyone use one of these (or other hardware looper)? I think I'm picking one up and would like to hear other's experiences with using it with synths.

They are wonderful and horrible all at the same time. I have two, which I use as a stereo processor pair (you can link them together to use them in this manner). They are very deep!!! Just today, I was trying to recall a simple trick that I used to do with the EDP. It took me an hour to find how to do it (pouring through the manual). It's a tough nut to crack and takes a lot of work but it is a really cool device.

Google Loopers Delight for various pointers to EDP information.
suitandtieguy
i used to have a pair of them, but sold them to buy a Hammond organ back in 1999.

coincidentally, i know Mfirman from the Loopers' Delight list, and he also sold me a Hammond organ.

here's my soundbite/one line review: "Unfortunately, they are the best loopers ever made."

right now i've got a Repeater which does most of what i was able to do with the EDP, and just came back from getting its noise floor lowered by Condor Electronics in Seattle. i'm hoping this can tide me over till another looping solution presents itself (by hook or by crook.)

apparently the Abletron juggarnaut has swallowed up the live looping community as well, so the chances of any new serious looping technology getting made is nil at this point.

i'm curious to see how the Octatrack does. it's looking promising from where i'm standing.
mfirman
suitandtieguy wrote:

here's my soundbite/one line review: "Unfortunately, they are the best loopers ever made."

LOL what a wonderful quote!

Anyway STG neglected to mention the Looperlative which is a truly marvelous machine
(it's like several EDPs in a skinny little 1U box - it's
fully stereo by nature and can do almost everything an EDP can). They
are (or were, I don't know if they are still made) a bit pricey though (at
least as much as two EDPs will run you). I had one on loan for a few weeks
and really fell in love.
dkcg
Just hooked it up, playing with it now. I like your quote STG. lol

I had an Akai headrush before, i didn't like it, it was near impossible for me to get loops cycling w/o having perfect timing. The Echoplex seems to help out with that aspect a lot. The one thing I wasn't sure about was the levels that it takes. Seems to be handling line levels fine and spits out line level, so I'm happy. I have it going with the Buchla now, and it does lose some fidelity, but it does what I wished the Machinedrum could do, and tried in vain to get the ASys RS-290 to do when I had one. I tried the Live looper route, but I think I have some sort of aversion to computers when it's not work related so a hardware solution is nice.

I'm also interested in the Octatrack after some of the feature release notes, but wanna hear some looper samples from it before really deciding if I want one.

I wish the echoplex had some pitch shifting tools tho. The reverse is fun anyways. w00t
dadek
If the unit you got doesn't have it already, you should really pick up 'loop 4.0'. That takes the EDP to a whole new level, you can granulize with that!

A friend has mine as I'm currently focused on using the Looperlative with my rig.
sduck
I always liked the idea of the edp, but couldn't get around the price. I did spring for a boomerang once, and use it once in a while, but it's pretty limited comparatively.

Can't you do pretty much everything an edp can do with ableton live, and more?
mfirman
dkcg wrote:

I wish the echoplex had some pitch shifting tools tho. The reverse is fun anyways. w00t

It does have a half speed as well (sort of radical pitch shifting).
I'm assuming that you have the LOOP IV (loop 4) firmware, which
is the latest and is probably still available through Aurisis Research, LLC.
You can record with half speed set and then playback in double speed or
record in normal speed and cut the speed in half. You can record, cut the
speed in half, overdub, and then go to normal speed (making the overdub
double speed). Much fun. One way to get perfect drones is to record a few
seconds of silence, end the recording, begin the drone, and switch on overdub.
Record the overdub until you get a nice smooth drone. Again much fun.
dkcg
mfirman wrote:
One way to get perfect drones is to record a few
seconds of silence, end the recording, begin the drone, and switch on overdub.
Record the overdub until you get a nice smooth drone. Again much fun.

I just noticed this! hyper

I was expecting this to loop simple rhythms/sounds, but the droning capabilities are like I added an oddball realtime sampling wavetable inspired drone machine to it. I have it's output going through a moogerfooger phaser with a slow LFO, and I barely hear that it's a sampled loop.

The manuals look daunting, lots of info. I was afraid I'd have buyer's remorse, but I don't. It's nice having a realtime synced sampler to use with the modular.

Gotta figure out the granular thing now...it should have the latest version, the guy I bought it from bought it new when they were just starting to discontinue them.
haiku-ish
SooperLooper (osx)
is great, based on Echoplex,
full midi control (like the echoplex)

i've played with both in live rig.

http://www.essej.net/sooperlooper/
suitandtieguy
sduck wrote:
Can't you do pretty much everything an edp can do with ableton live, and more?

no and yes.

Andre LaFosse is someone who really pushed this thing to its boundaries, and then wrote about it.

i'm not really interested in using these advanced techniques (my looping needs are pedestrian but specific) but it's worth reading these pages:

http://www.altruistmusic.com/EDP/
mfirman
You will know you have the LOOP IV firmware if, when you power it up,
the display will scroll "LOOP 4" a few times.

My looping needs, like STG's, are rather simple but specific as well.
I think, unless you are Andre or Mathieus, your needs will probably be
pretty specific as well. As you use the device, you will figure out a few
methods that suit you and then you will stick with them (that's what I did).
The thing is so deep that, every so often, you can pick up the manual
and discover/add a new trick.
It will drive you insane perhaps but it can be very effective.
stk
And for windows, Mobius (which is free, as in beer): http://circularlabs.com

haiku-ish wrote:
SooperLooper (osx)
is great, based on Echoplex,
full midi control (like the echoplex)

i've played with both in live rig.

http://www.essej.net/sooperlooper/
dkcg
mfirman wrote:
You will know you have the LOOP IV firmware if, when you power it up,
the display will scroll "LOOP 4" a few times.

My looping needs, like STG's, are rather simple but specific as well.

I have version 4. I think i'll use it like a syncable delay/time buffer for the buchla, patch it in like a module in the matrix mixer. I played around with it and a guitar tonight, it's cool, but feels gimicky. I really like how it can drone, and get kinda digital glitchy patched into the modular.

So many settings for only 6 buttons. eek!
Bendu
I just put one of these up on B/S/T if anyone wants one. thumbs up
suitandtieguy
Btw thought id add that if the Repeater had real half speed it would be perfect for me. The pitch shifting is useless for my needs ... I would trade it for the playback speed control of the EDP in a heartbeat.
3vcos
Does anyone have any info on updating an Echoplex Pro from Loop3 v5.0 to Loop4? The website seems to be down...
http://www.aurisis.com/
dkcg
3vcos wrote:
Does anyone have any info on updating an Echoplex Pro from Loop3 v5.0 to Loop4? The website seems to be down...
http://www.aurisis.com/

Worked for me last week, try later.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1