MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Anyone else liking the dry output of the SSL 1310?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synthetic Sound Labs  
Author Anyone else liking the dry output of the SSL 1310?
bwhittington
Doug, what's going on behind the panel of this thing? The output of this module sounds great, the delay effect aside. I've got it patched between a VCA and my external mixer with the dry/wet mix pot set full ccw, and I love its saturated sound. It's not just a matter of gain, though that is undoubtedly part of it.

This post is one part warm fuzzies for a great module and also partly a serious question: what is in the signal path when the effect is dry? If it's something simple, like a handful of components, I'd love to replicate it just in an "in/out jack" way for a Pixie Dust module. When I mentioned in an earlier post wanting another one of these guys, it was mainly due to this aspect, as fun as the delay itself is also.

This sort of warm coloring is one reason I'm also looking forward to STG's new mixer, which I understand can lean towards muddling things up a bit, too.

Cheers,
Brian
kindredlost
I noticed a boost to the signal but since mine isn't back from the recap surgery yet I can't verify your observation. Maybe tomorrow.

It's sort of like the Grove PM Resonator and the Oakley Equinoxe. All of them seem to add a bit of coloration to the signal.

The Equinoxe is more of a compressed sound and the PMR has loads of variety. By that I mean it can be a massive gain or nothing at all and everywhere in between.

I agree about the lure of the STG mix module. I am sitting on my hands right now. I wish I could jump on it but I have other priorities to take care of first. I do like the STG Signal Amplifiers for that same reason.

-David
bwhittington
I honestly am kind of afraid to replace that capacitor for fear it might change the quirky character of the module. The cleaner top end of the delay pot would be nice, and I'm too ignorant of electronics to know if that could effect the sound in any way, but . . .

You've made me interested in the PM Resonator and Equinoxe for sure. Actually, I was thinking of ordering some Equinoxe pcbs just yesterday, but that was mainly because I had a silly panel idea in mind. And I'm wanting a pair of the STG VCA's as well, though I'm sitting on my hands for that one because Eric said the forthcoming pcb revision will greatly aid my interest in minimizing module depth.

As I try to add a litle more finesse to my patching technique, things that color the sound instead of mangle it seem much more interesting to me.

Cheers,
Brian
baltimoroder
Could it be because it's not true bypass when full DRY? E.g. still going through the A-D/D-A... I know my RS-390 has a "sound" when run dry.
dslocum
bwhittington wrote:
Doug, what's going on behind the panel of this thing? The output of this module sounds great, the delay effect aside. I've got it patched between a VCA and my external mixer with the dry/wet mix pot set full ccw, and I love its saturated sound. It's not just a matter of gain, though that is undoubtedly part of it.

This post is one part warm fuzzies for a great module and also partly a serious question: what is in the signal path when the effect is dry? If it's something simple, like a handful of components, I'd love to replicate it just in an "in/out jack" way for a Pixie Dust module. When I mentioned in an earlier post wanting another one of these guys, it was mainly due to this aspect, as fun as the delay itself is also.

This sort of warm coloring is one reason I'm also looking forward to STG's new mixer, which I understand can lean towards muddling things up a bit, too.

Cheers,
Brian

Brian,

My we're discerning, aren't we? 8_)

On Dry, there are two stages of a TL074 opamp. Each one has a small cap across the feedback resistor that will subtily limit high frequencies. I'm guessing that's what you're hearing.

BTW - I'll sell you Pixie Dust (but never vapor-ware) all day long! nanners Hey - is Pixie Dust considered a controlled substance? I better check that!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synthetic Sound Labs  
Page 1 of 1