MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Flame Clockworks?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Flame Clockworks?
dkcg
Anyone have one? Can you sync it to a midi clock? To a sequencer clock signal? How versitile is it? Anything really unique that you couldn't patch up with a drum machine and some logic?

Any kickass samples? odd time signatures? triplets?
tragedybysyntax
yeah... curious on this as well. dkcg, I think we are going after this same thing with our systems lol. SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!
consumed
plord has spent some quality time with his clockwork.

http://muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=859

plord wrote:
Muff Wiggler wrote:
can it be a standalone clock on it's own? or do i have to feed it midi clock? is there anyway to clock it with CV/Clock out from a modular?

It can generate it's own internal clock, standalone, rate goes from uh...I think 40bpm to 300bpm but don't quote me on that part. There's a start/stop toggle (not as slick as a button switch). There is no way to feed it analog clock. It's internal or midi only.
Quote:
Here's something i'm wondering. Let's say it's clocking on it's own or following midi, whatever. My understanding is that based on/factored down from this master clock, i have three seperate channels, that could each be used to trigger three seperate drum modules, each channel based on divisions of the master clock but including options to shuffle it around within the division, plus some other arty stuff, per channel? i'm curious what the other arty stuff can be. Is it full bars of straight divisions (however shuffled) or are there options to mute/suppress certain beats within the bar of the divided clock?
You can shuffle 8ths or 16ths; for example you can shuffle 8ths forward a full eighth, so you get an offbeat hit on a quarter note kick. You can adjust the "random" setting for each of the three divisions; this subtracts some of the gates, more of them as you turn up the random. It's NOT like the NR where the pattern repeats; it's just randomly dropping beats out. Still very cool. There is also a SUM output of all three pattern gates, that responds to all three random settings. But you can't suppress certain beats in a bar from the Clockwork itself.

What I do is: pull the clocks from the Clockwork to a crossfader (or any VC switch would work). Then using the Binary Zone, or Gated Comparator, or Metalbox sequential switch, or some combination of 2 or 3 of those smile I send a gate pattern to the crossfader/VC switch to toggle the clock pattern between CW output signal and "nothing". If you send the binary zone output to the gated comparator, then tap the 1st and output and the 5th output of the GC shift register, then use those two signals to drive the crossfaders with the CW output, you can get a 64 step pattern where one voice trails the other by a quarter note (or a half, or a bar, or whatever...just clock the GC slower or send it through a subsequent gate delay, or whatever).

Ok, now I actually have to go home and patch that up smile
dkcg
tragedybysyntax wrote:
yeah... curious on this as well. dkcg, I think we are going after this same thing with our systems lol. SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!

lol

Cheers! Guinness ftw!

I think I'll hold off on the CW... Maybe if I played with one I would think otherwise, but I feel like I could get similar stuff by using logic, a divider, triple timer, and other event based triggers. Gotta hang out to a few bucks for the PlanB joysticks and the Harvestman Hz Donut.
dkcg
Thanks for the link consumed. Answered most my questions about it, and I think I'll just patch for now...

8)
plord
The Clockwork is so versatile I've never even dug into the midi->cv or record functions. You could do some crazy patching like I mentioned in my AND/NOR/XNOR post to get triplets, but the Clockwork just gives them to you for free. It won't take analog clock, though, it wants to slave to midi or be the master.
dkcg
plord wrote:
The Clockwork is so versatile I've never even dug into the midi->cv or record functions. You could do some crazy patching like I mentioned in my AND/NOR/XNOR post to get triplets, but the Clockwork just gives them to you for free. It won't take analog clock, though, it wants to slave to midi or be the master.

It records CVs?! Or do you mean it records the midi stream?

Not taking an analog clock kinda turns me off... Thanks for the additional clarifiction about the clock Plord. BTW, I've been using the M17 triple timer to get swingable triplets, but i'll have to try with logic soon.
consumed
plord wrote:

plord--have you tried sync'ing mobius <---> clockwork (either direction) and if so, how goes it? is it 'tight'?
plord
consumed wrote:
plord--have you tried sync'ing mobius <---> clockwork (either direction) and if so, how goes it? is it 'tight'?

I generally use the Mobius as the master clock driving
1. The Clockwork via Midi
2. The tr-606 via DIN Sync (with and without the Sync-Shift in line)
3. an absurd chain of Splitters, Pulse Dividers, VC crossfade, etc. via the Mobius clock output.

I have to be careful to hit reset on all the downstream devices sometimes, but in general, yes, it is very very tight.
MrDys
I use my clockwork all the time. I have a similar setup with Clockwork midi going into a DIN sync converter to clock my 707, and then I use one channel to spit out 16ths to clock a MFB Seq-01. I actually like using it as a "tempo multiplier" since it'll spit out 32nd notes, which is otherwise a pain in the ass to do. It also does dotted note divisions as well as triplet divisions. A clockwork in combination with a logic module and triple event timer would give you even crazier rhythms. (Both are on my list of modules for the upcoming year for this very reason.)
Bricks
Ill admit, the depth of these flame units leaves me a little confused. seems like autechre country, rhythmically speaking.
Cat-A-Tonic
I can't seem to wrap my head around all the differences in functionality between the Clockwork and Echometer.
I wonder which would be more useful with the modular rig...

dkcg
I'm starting to think the echo may be better for what i'm looking for. the CV gate ins look really really kinda cool if you think about what you coudl patch up to get a custom timing delay tweaked gate/trigger from that original gate.

Maybe the clockworks is geared more towards global timing while the echometer focuses on a smaller time scale and mostly in mimicking and tweaking gates? I wish these units were in display somewhere to try out and really figure out what their strengths are.

I never noticed the gate inputs until just now...very cool.
wetterberg
the echometer is more of a hardcore midi looper with balls than a "clock source" isn't it? Way more up my alley for sure, although I tend to do all those things in max and go from there.
carbon111
Damn, that Clockwork looks the business! I've messed around with the Flame talking synth and found it to be very powerful in person, whereas I just thought it was going to be a gimick!

Now I've got G.A.S. for a Clockwork! love very frustrating
plord
I don't even pretend to know what the hell the Echometer has going on. It looks like a three channel 4 bar midi looper but if you have any version of the MPC you've got that in spades (plus I hear it makes a pretty good sampler and drum synth).

I'd love to get one just to screw with it but that's $500 I don't got.
MrDys
That's the feeling that I get, too. There's something about it, though that makes me think it's a bit more than that. But again, I don't have the cash for that sort of thing right now. (It may solve my "triggering my 707 with my modular via MIDI" problem that I have, though.)

Looking into the Echometer did remind me that I have a need for a similar (but less complex) device. Is there anything out there that will just output MIDI notes, but is not a sequencer and not a traditional MIDI controller? Something like a MIDI drone generator? Something that will generate a bunch of Note On messages? I have a couple MIDI controllers but I don't want to have to be hitting keys when I can be turning knobs and pulling patch cables.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1