MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Serge Maintenance Info
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Serge Maintenance Info
komputerbrown
great thread! thanks! Guinness ftw!

but what about the rack ears? where can one get a pair of those?
phisynth
here's the graphical file I made to have some made at a local metal workshop here. The only thing is they made it from a folded 3 mm alu plate, so the angle is slightly rounded instead of being sharp, but I guess it can be made sharp also if you ask them specifically (I didn't).
Other than that hole placement is perfect, and they look ok. They cost me less than 6€/piece.
Dimensions are in mm tho...
komputerbrown
wow!

thanks phisynth!

i'll definitely try to find a local metal workshop now!

we're not worthy
ear ear
daves wrote:
There is too much wrong info about the Serge going around. I didn't look at every detail, but for starters:

PS2a is NOT a switching supply, it is a semi-custom linear supply.
Banana jacks are NOT Johnson, they are a higher end jack with a perfectly circular metal insert, as opposed to the cheap squarish insert in Johnson jacks.

What banana jacks do STS use?

EDIT: Johnson, according to this thread.
Baszline
komputerbrown wrote:
great thread! thanks! Guinness ftw!

but what about the rack ears? where can one get a pair of those?

I've ordered and received Serge style rackears here (thanks to MechaSeb):
http://www.takachi-el.co.jp/data/pdf/10-27_01.pdf
The right reference is: M-177S

PSU case is from LMB and can be found here (unfortunately only US it seems... :(
http://www.lmbheeger.com/products.asp?catid=16
komputerbrown
Thanks Baszline!

Link didn't work for me, but it's these, right?
prscrptn
Just contact Takachi Electronics.

Email:overseas@takachi-el.co.jp

The item number is: M-177s thumbs up
komputerbrown
thanx prscrptn!

but i needed to know where the screw holes should be because my man up north who i'm buying a panel off right now kindly agreed to drill those for me =)
prscrptn
Phisynth has a diagram above with all of the necessary info. thumbs up
rastko
The Serge panels use these TINI-JAX`s (*edit* not sure this is actually TINI-JAX`s so maybe I should have written Switchcraft jacks) connectors:

http://ch.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Switchcraft/142AX/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsUz hEcHltCuS/EukbAEpLw

These are 'normaled' to the banana inputs on the Wilson Analog Delay , Frequency Shifter and Resonant Equalizer.

IF A 3.5 MM JACK (euro patch cable) IS USED IN THESE CONNECTORS THE SHAPE CAN BE BENT RESULTING IN THE BANANA JACK NOT RECEIVING SIGNAL ANY MORE !

It is possible to bent it back into shape with a small wooden stick , you have to open the panel and do it from the inside. But in my case it will be easier just to replace it with a new one.

Imagine that I used this conector once , one day before the performance and exactly this happened :-).

This info was somewhere on QuadSlope but I just forgot it.
nrdvrgr
Never heard of TiniJax being damaged by 3.5mm cables, only the opposite (TiniJax male damaging 3.5). I am using TipTop Stackables with no issues whatsoever.
prscrptn
Switchcraft jacks are 1/8" which = 0.1250 inches or 3.175mm.

Euro cables are typically 3.5mm which = 0.1377952755905512 inches.
rastko
nrdvrgr wrote:
Never heard of TiniJax being damaged by 3.5mm cables, only the opposite (TiniJax male damaging 3.5). I am using TipTop Stackables with no issues whatsoever.

just edited my post so it says Switchcraft jacks as I am not sure that they are TiniJax .
TiniJax is written on a ebay site if you search for this part but it could be wrong.

What I know is that I plugged a Doepfer cable into the Resonant EQ and the banana plug stopped working.
Most of the other info is from REX so I thought that this should be known.

prscrptn wrote:

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:25 am Post subject:
Switchcraft jacks are 1/8" which = 0.1250 inches or 3.175mm.

Euro cables are typically 3.5mm which = 0.1377952755905512 inches.

Yes, this is what happened and I thank you for the extra info.
nanotone
Tini-Plugs are made by Switchcraft and the have got 0.14" diameter. This equals 3,56 mm.
fowl
For those that have 80's Panels - from Height, SF
The old Power cord can be changed for a Male Molex - as its still +/- 12V
The Wiring should be:
RED: + 12
WHITE: - 12
BLACK: Audio Ground
GREEN : Chassis Ground
- as mentioned before some of the older panels - required the 6v.... check with Rex.

FURTHER NOTES :

POWER DISTRO:
If you have it horizontal with Green LCD to your left and Amber to your Right
Then the PSU should hang off 4. Rex says its best to keep your oscillators on away from your Controllers - so the Osc. to the left and Control to the Right.

EXPERIMENTING:
From Rex: As long as you keep the current to under 20 Ma and don't exceed rails (+/- 12v) - there is no reason why you can't insert any kind of (synth or non-musical) signal into your chain... use your imagination...

KEEP ON TRUCKING
fowl
Useful info for those buying End Cheeks (wheedywhizz is great) to mount their Serge in-
- 8-32UNC x 3/4Inch screws for modules
- 6-32UNC x 3/4"inch screws for mounting Power Distro Board
richard
anybody know what those red switches with a metal skirt are that Rex uses for the Seq A and Programmer?
richard
so they are Johnson banana jacks or they ain't?
tmeade
richard wrote:
so they are Johnson banana jacks or they ain't?

No. I ordered the Johnsons. The metal contact is diamond shape, not round like the ones that Rex uses. Also, I ordered blue ones and they don't match either Oakland or hartland blue.
jzilla
Great thread... Can someone tell me what the smaller screws connecting the circuit board to the panel are? Not the six that connect the panel to the enclosure but the four connecting from the panel to the boards.

Thanks,
-j
weerzin
can anyone tell me what the three-way switches on the sts-serge mixers are?

thanks very much in advance!
cheapmachines
For people in the UK/EU looking for bolts to connect rack ears to boats and mount a PSD, I've found that the threads on the 8-32's from here work with my threaded 4.5" boat for rack ears:

http://www.westfieldfasteners.co.uk/A2_ScrewBolt_PhilRaPan_UNCoarse_0. 1640.html

And the 6-32's are the right thread for the PSD mounting:

http://www.westfieldfasteners.co.uk/A2_ScrewBolt_PhilRaPan_UNCoarse_0. 1380.html

The other UNC's are here:

http://www.westfieldfasteners.co.uk/UNC.html
cheapmachines
weerzin wrote:
can anyone tell me what the three-way switches on the sts-serge mixers are?

Three way switchable phase inversion on that input:

"This has switchable phase inversion on the first channel to aid in feedback experimentation (avoiding cancellation)or you can "subtract" one waveform from another."
steamroom
Sorry for the relatively simple question...
I have an old paperface system with it's own power supply, and then STS panels. I want to use the paperface panels on the STS power supply (uses the same connectors) but before i do, i want to make sure the old power supply is putting out the same power sources to each pin. How do i use a volt meter to read what is being put out by the old power supply?
thanks again so much in advance...
putney
tarissuoc
Hey Steamroom

steamroom wrote:
How do i use a volt meter to read what is being put out by the old power supply?
putney

You do that carefully, we can't afford losing you!

You may find some answers in this great post by Muff Wiggler :
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1200
Hope that helps!

E
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 2 of 3