MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Alphabet Soup
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Alphabet Soup
parasitk
James/Carbon111 just posted about this on the Serge Yahoo Group:

http://www.carbon111.com/alphabet1.html

Carbon111's Serge Modular Webpages wrote:
Alphabet Soup #1: The DSG

The DSG is one of the most flexible synthesizer modules ever conceived and yet in some ways is very simple. This is first in a series of introductory articles, each focusing on a particular Function Block.

SlayerBadger!
neandrewthal
That was really cool, but I'm still not too clear on how the envelope follower and suboscillator functions works.
parasitk
neandrewthal wrote:
That was really cool, but I'm still not too clear on how the envelope follower and suboscillator functions works.

the Bananalogue website wrote:
Sub-Harmonic Generator

If a series of triggers are applied to the VCS faster than the total rise and fall times, the module will divide the incoming signal by a whole number. In the audio range the output will be the sub-harmonic series.

http://www.bananalogue.com/vcs.html

Hope that helps on the Sub part! I've done this with my VCS and it's touchy and interesting to tweak. I've never tried the Env Follower trick though...
neandrewthal
That's awesome love Every frac setup should have a rack of 4 VCS and 2 3P SlayerBadger!
consumed
yeah the VCS was a real gem for frac and euro--a slice of serge heaven for the commoners. too bad they're gone now.
parasitk
Yep, I really want a second one. Hell, and a WVX Wave Multiplier as well.
brandon daniel
parasitk wrote:
Yep, I really want a second one. Hell, and a WVX Wave Multiplier as well.

I second that. I could use one or two more VCS' surely. They're damn useful in so many varied ways.
felix
neandrewthal wrote:

The envelope follower is just relying on the portamento/slew limiter functionality. I haven't actually tried this with other slew limiters, but in theory with the right rise/fall settings, it will output the average amplitude of the input signal, giving the "envelope shape" of the input signal. Although, now that I'm actually typing it out, it needs to be a unipolar output (no bipolar) so the VCS/DSG must be doing something special there.

I'd really like to see James (Carbon111) do the Smooth/Stepped Generator next. I'd interested to learn about any patch programmable functionality that I've no doubt not wrapped my head around yet.
parasitk
felix wrote:
I'd really like to see James (Carbon111) do the Smooth/Stepped Generator next. I'd interested to learn about any patch programmable functionality that I've no doubt not wrapped my head around yet.

Ask him! He said on the Serge List that he's looking for suggestions!
felix
parasitk wrote:
Ask him! He said on the Serge List that he's looking for suggestions!

Hehe, I just did actually! hihi
parasitk
felix wrote:
Hehe, I just did actually! hihi

I just +1'd your request!
BananaPlug
Quote:

It's been done. A three part series starting here.
felix
Wow, I saw James' email pointing that out too. As often as I've gone through the serge-fans site recently, I can't believe that I missed those! It's certainly changed my mind on the usefulness of the SSG. Wow.
parasitk
I missed that as well, however I'd still like him to cover it!
neandrewthal
Chewbacca REAWWWRRRRRR!!!!!!!!

I agree! Good call on the Dual Transient Generator, Chewy!
carbon111
neandrewthal wrote:

Well, I can tackle the envelope follower part. thumbs up

With both the "rise" and "fall" pots set very fast, the output will follow the input waveform very close...pretty much just making a copy of the input at the output.
With the "fall" pot set to a longer time the voltage will just follow the peaks because it has no time to drop down...giving us an overall shape of just the top of the waveform, which is the same as the amplitude envelope...which is what we're trying to extract in the first place. smile

carbon111
BTW, hi guys!

I'm overjoyed that people have found my synth pages useful, that's exactly why I do it! Cheers! beer!

...And a heartfelt thanks to Muff for such a cool forum! SlayerBadger!
neandrewthal
Makes sense, thanks.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1