MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Case for Serge panels
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Case for Serge panels
Nelson Baboon
Thus far I haven't found the following info:
What are the Serge m-case/s-cases? I found nothing, other than people mentioning that they had them, or some photos that didn't really let me see actually what they were. But even if they would suit my purposes, I expect that they'd be pricey, and while I'm willing to give Rex my $ for sonic mayhem, I'm really doubtful that I'd need a high end case.

Perhaps someone can lead me in the right direction, and hopefully in a specific direction (I really know very little about this kind of thing, and I'm about as far from diy as you can get and still remain vertical)

Ideally I'd want something that could be propped at an angle, with some flexibility so that I could change the angle easily. It's going to be sitting on a table, so I'd imagine that anything beyond 3-4 panels in size wouldn't be that useful. I think that 4 would be ideal, but maybe 5? When my new panels arrive, I'll only have 3, but hope to expand a bit in the next year or so.

I'm not going to travel with it - I don't need anything ridiculously heavy duty, but obviously I don't want something which might fall apart with this kind of apt use....

My first modular was a Serge, bought from Rex in Oakland, sold during a period of desperate unemployment back in 2001. He sold it to me with an skb case, which apparently he discontinued because of reliability issues. I thought that it worked rather well, but I don't remember the model number or anything...
bwhittington
The M-case (2 panels) is a beautiful and fairly narrow enclosure. To me, that would be a highly attractive way to go. I think it was about $500, which is hardly off the rails relative to other STS accessories. Smitty posted photos and pricing when he first got his if you want to search for it.

The S-case (3 panels) seems too deep to me for desktop use and a bit too tall to seem stable standing up. Might be perfect for others, but it strikes me that way. No idea of its price.

Any local carpenter could make you matching wood ends in whatever shape you would like that you could screw into the boats for whatever style of studio-use layout appealed to you. Since the panels all have their own enclosure, you wouldn't need much more than that.

Cheers,
Brian
jonkull
I was looking at this one for my Serge:

http://www.marathonpro.com/mabsema19djm.html

This thread has pictures of one of the ones that Rex sells but I'm not sure which one it is:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6191&start=0
bwhittington
Here's the link to many m-case pics. $550 price (a year ago, at least).

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6191&highlight=mcase

(Edit: Mr. Kull, you are the winner! lol )
Nelson Baboon
The m-case looks more like a carrying case? That's not what I need - I just need something to prop it up nicely at an angle on my desk....even that old skb case would do (which also would serve as a carrying case, as I vaguely recall).

I don't have time now - I'll have to check out the marathon later.
jonkull
bwhittington wrote:
(Edit: Mr. Kull, you are the winner! lol )

There's a first time for everything. Do I get a prize?
dissonance
Nelson Baboon wrote:
I just need something to prop it up nicely at an angle on my desk....even that old skb case would do (which also would serve as a carrying case, as I vaguely recall).

This is the SKB case that I use for my three panel system, and it's the same one that Rex used to sell:

http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?id=157&c=120&o=& s=81

I know that Rex said he had issues with them, but I've found it to be perfect for my needs. It does require one very minor modification if you are going to fill all 12U; basically, there is a metal tab from which you need to shave a few millimeters for clearance purposes. If you need further clarification on this, I can take some photos this weekend and document what I had to do.
sascha.victoria
I have one of those Marathon cases in the 12U variety. I have all shallow boats so everything fits on problem with plenty of room in the back for power supplies, cables, etc... You definitely can only fit a shallow boat in the front slot. I'm not sure about the middle and then a deep boat would fit in the back.
Nelson Baboon
sascha.victoria wrote:
I have one of those Marathon cases in the 12U variety. I have all shallow boats so everything fits on problem with plenty of room in the back for power supplies, cables, etc... You definitely can only fit a shallow boat in the front slot. I'm not sure about the middle and then a deep boat would fit in the back.

I have shop panels - would they fit? I assume that you're talking about the m-class stuff?
Nelson Baboon
yes - I'd be very interested. This is a known quantity, and it worked well for me.

I have NO hardware skills at all. What is involved in 'shaving' the metal tab?

dissonance wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:
I just need something to prop it up nicely at an angle on my desk....even that old skb case would do (which also would serve as a carrying case, as I vaguely recall).

This is the SKB case that I use for my three panel system, and it's the same one that Rex used to sell:

http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?id=157&c=120&o=& s=81

I know that Rex said he had issues with them, but I've found it to be perfect for my needs. It does require one very minor modification if you are going to fill all 12U; basically, there is a metal tab from which you need to shave a few millimeters for clearance purposes. If you need further clarification on this, I can take some photos this weekend and document what I had to do.
Nelson Baboon
I'm sure that these are very nice, but it's just more than I want to spend - and I'd want the 3 panel one, which I'm sure will be more than the $550. And especially since the extra $ might make the difference between being able to get another panel, and not....and the fact that the marathon and skb cases can be gotten for less than $200.

bwhittington wrote:
The M-case (2 panels) is a beautiful and fairly narrow enclosure. To me, that would be a highly attractive way to go. I think it was about $500, which is hardly off the rails relative to other STS accessories. Smitty posted photos and pricing when he first got his if you want to search for it.

The S-case (3 panels) seems too deep to me for desktop use and a bit too tall to seem stable standing up. Might be perfect for others, but it strikes me that way. No idea of its price.

Any local carpenter could make you matching wood ends in whatever shape you would like that you could screw into the boats for whatever style of studio-use layout appealed to you. Since the panels all have their own enclosure, you wouldn't need much more than that.

Cheers,
Brian
jonkull
I talked to Rex about the M-Case today. It's $700 not counting the cost of the two boats (it can only fit 2.5" boats), PSD and PSU. $100 for shipping. It came out to roughly $1500 after adding in 'prep work' and two boats (I have a PSD and PSU already so I wouldn't have to pay for those).
MechaSeb
jonkull wrote:
I talked to Rex about the M-Case today. It's $700 not counting the cost of the two boats (it can only fit 2.5" boats), PSD and PSU. $100 for shipping. It came out to roughly $1500 after adding in 'prep work' and two boats (I have a PSD and PSU already so I wouldn't have to pay for those).

Wait a minute. Is this a joke ? Rockin' Banana!
I like the Rex's works and dont want to polemics on the prices but...
jonkull
No it's not a joke. The M-Case is $700. The 2.5" boats are $300 each. That's $1300 right there. $100 for shipping brings it to $1400. $100 - $150 for 'prep work' which he described as drilling holes, adding plugs and running wires brings it to $1500. If I needed a PSU and distribution board (which I already have) it would be another $400 on top of the $1500.

Of course if you already have your panels in 2.5" boats you'd save $600. I don't have 2.5" boats. I have the larger one.
b3nsf
I use this with my serge, it's angled and it works well...

http://www.hosatech.com/product/340237/RMT-254/_/19-inch_Rack,_Table-t op_Design,_11_U

smitty
jonkull wrote:
No it's not a joke. The M-Case is $700. The 2.5" boats are $300 each. That's $1300 right there. $100 for shipping brings it to $1400. $100 - $150 for 'prep work' which he described as drilling holes, adding plugs and running wires brings it to $1500. If I needed a PSU and distribution board (which I already have) it would be another $400 on top of the $1500.

Of course if you already have your panels in 2.5" boats you'd save $600. I don't have 2.5" boats. I have the larger one.

It's true. He raised the price when he switched to De Beers as the supplier.
dissonance
Nelson Baboon wrote:
yes - I'd be very interested. This is a known quantity, and it worked well for me.

I have NO hardware skills at all. What is involved in 'shaving' the metal tab?

I just took a look to refresh my memory. There are actually two steel tabs at the rear edge of the case (or top, depending on case orientation) that can be seen here:

These serve as rests for the pop-up frame, for when it is fully collapsed into the case for storage. These are a bit longer than they actually need to be, and if you have a boat mounted in the top 4U of the frame, they will prevent the boat from dropping into the case. My solution was to take a Dremel tool with a small cutting wheel attachment, and shave a few millimeters off each tab. I then polished them up a bit to remove any sharp edges or burrs. This provided adequate clearance for the boat to drop into the case fully, while still retaining the ability for the tabs to support the pop-up frame. Note that this modification is only necessary if you plan on storing your system with the case closed, or packing it for travel. If you will always have the pop-up frame extended for use, the tabs won't be a problem. You could conceivably extend the frame to your desired angle, mount your boats and be ready to roll.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Luka
Does anyone know where to find deeper versions of the skb mixer cases? I want one for my 5u panels. Ive seen a few people with them but cant find their origin
noobyscooby
A guy has a skb mixer case on kijiji for 100 bucks right now. Hoping to hear back.
fowl
anyone got any thoughts/solutions on casing/desktop tilt for just one m-boat ? (hopefully EU/UK friendy)
noobyscooby
Got the skb mixer case. Works really nice. Will suit my needs well. Got the modified blue voice and a boat with Audio Processor/ASR Quan. Only think I'll add one more panel or boat or a TKB so I am good to go.
Pfurmel
fowl wrote:
anyone got any thoughts/solutions on casing/desktop tilt for just one m-boat ? (hopefully EU/UK friendy)

I was thinking the same thing but I might regret it if I expand, I think I will go with the skb case, Thomann have them for 195 euro:
here

Edit: this is the in house thomann case, its not as deep as the skb though:
Thon Case
richard
where are you guys getting your 4U rack ears from?

I'd love to find a european source for these things, seems a bit crazy to get them from STS
Pfurmel
I bought my serge second hand so it had the ears already fitted.
They look very easy to make if you had the equipment though...
Setherian
I need to decide on a "transport case" asap because my second panel (an Animate that I ordered last month) is about to be ready. My other panel is an Animoo and I have it on a Pelican case. Its a good all around solution I think.
And I have even thought about using a second pelican, but what a drag it will be to go into travelling and gigs with two cases instead of one, but 700 dollars for just two panels is so tough to swallow innit? Rex also said I will need a PS4, another drag. confused
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2