MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Using I/O to control modules
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author Using I/O to control modules
sgnhh
I haven't bought a module since the summer and after receiving a little cash for xmas, decided I will probably buy the I/O module. I've wanted to interface my guitar (and other devices) with my modules for a long time, but I don't know too much about the practical uses of the I/O other than bringing my line level devices up to modular levels.

I see that the I/O has two envelope generators on it, but I'm not entirely sure how they are generated and--for example, if plugging a guitar into the I/O-- if such envelopes are suitable for controlling other modules. Obviously they are to some degree since that's their purpose, but I'm curious if anyone has some hands-on experience they can share. I was thinking it would be useful to plug an EG into the Plan B Triple Event Timer, which could then trigger other ADSRs and modules.

Mostly just looking for feedback from people who own this module.
e-grad
The I/O is a great module which will def. bring any level up to modular level. The built in envelope follower will follow the amplitude of the amplified input signal and thus generate an envelope for any CV input to controll the cut off-frq of a filter the amplitude of an VCA and so and so.

However, what an envelope follower is NOT is a pitch to voltage converter to make a VCO track to a guitar or any other external gear. Analogue Systems are producing one of these rare species. Think it's called RS35 and reportedly works best simple input signals.

The I/O can controll the pitch of an VCO according to the *envelope* of an external piece of gear. The louder the e.g. guitar is played the higher will be the pitch of a VCO.
parasitk
e-grad wrote:
The I/O can controll the pitch of an VCO according to the *envelope* of an external piece of gear. The louder the e.g. guitar is played the higher will be the pitch of a VCO.

Hell yeah I'm gonna try that. I see the potential of a lot of weird craziness. Blacet I/O is a very cool module - at the moment I'm using it mostly as an interface for my ribbon controller, but soon I hope to mess with it more with external instruments.
dkcg
I love my env followers. great for gating noise and of course Ottawa effects.
revtor
The gate and trig out (comparator) is a fun thing to mash audio and CV/logic together.. a triple comparator would be nice to have.. (that's like the PlanB triple event timer right?)

The most memorable thing I did with my Preamp module (Oakley EFG), was to plug a mic into it and then hang the mic out my window one night when it was very stormy outside. I had the sounds of wind and trees waving aroundand the clicking of the mic rolling around .. it was a great audio stream to feed into my mixer and the patch I had going at the time.

get one
~Steve
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1