MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

What sampler?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author What sampler?
stk
Hi,
So after a pretty disastrous live show system failure clusterfuck last night, I'm thinking I'd like to move what I normally load into Kontakt running on a Mac Mini, to a standalone sampler.

I'd like it to be easy to deal with, so USB interface strongly preferred. (I will never touch another zip disk as long as I live).
Are the Akai S5k/6k the only samplers to offer this?

I guess another option in an MPC 500/1k - can these respond to an external midi kb and be used as a more traditional sampler (ie play mapped keyboard instruments as well as triggering oneshots & loops)?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
astroschnautzer
How about ableton live?
stk
astroschnautzer wrote:
How about ableton live?

See aforementioned clusterfuck hihi
I actually am using Live, but for some reason Kontakt suddenly refused to respond to progchange messages.
phono1337
Don't forget you can pretty much put a cheap compact flash drive in any sampler (via scsi bridge if needed) which is probably the best option if playing live
astroschnautzer
stk wrote:
astroschnautzer wrote:
How about ableton live?

I actually am using Live, but for some reason Kontakt suddenly refused to respond to progchange messages.
Use it anyway w00t hihi
Kent
Somewhat OT:

Is there any way to get Live to respond to Program Changes? That shit drives me up the wall. The application is called "Live" yet it won't respond to Program Changes... weirdest shit ever.

In my live rig I use a Ground Control to change presets. Live won't respond to Prg.Cs so I need to use my Moog MP-201 to convert the Prg.C to something else and then map Live to respond to that. It's a kluge and a pain in the balls.

So, how did you ever get Kontakt to respond to Prg.Cs? Is there a way to get Live to change states with a Prg.C message?

If there are enough responses to this, I'll spin it off to another thread.
stk
astroschnautzer wrote:
stk wrote:
astroschnautzer wrote:
How about ableton live?

Use it anyway w00t hihi

err, no meh thumbs up
I'm preparing for a fairly extensive tour and i'm sick of those little niggly things that pop up with software on a seemingly random basis.
Things that, in the studio, are merely annoyances, but live can literally be a showstopper.
Back in the day, my hw samplers never crashed or mysteriously lost settings. Zip disks, well that's another issue altogether, one that I plan on avoiding This is fun!
tIB
Id look into the elektron octatrack once its out there and has been hammered by people... Ticks your boxes if it works solidly.
stk
Kent wrote:

So, how did you ever get Kontakt to respond to Prg.Cs? Is there a way to get Live to change states with a Prg.C message?

I'm not sure about Live per se, but Kontakt lets you select individual instruments in an Instrument Bank with prg ch messages. Quite handy, when it works d'oh! .
stk
phono1337 wrote:
Don't forget you can pretty much put a cheap compact flash drive in any sampler (via scsi bridge if needed) which is probably the best option if playing live

That sounds interesting, thanks!
Any particular recommendations?
phono1337
stk wrote:
phono1337 wrote:

try this for card readers

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=compact+flash+IDE

all very cheap, i think youll get the idea.

Those are all IDE though so youll need a scsi bridge, these are a little harder to find nowdays, i got mine on ebay but the guy selling them no longer has them in stock. You'll have to hunt around a bit i think.

Compact flash cards are obviously easy to find.

I've got a 2gb running on my emu e6400 (classic) via a scsi bridge and it works very well indeed.

The only downside is that its not hot-swappable
phono1337
oh and you can find scsi card readers but they are rarer and often more expensive
stk
Thanks for the info.
Holy MY ASS IS BLEEDING, scsi 2 ide converters are spendy..
phono1337
stk wrote:
Thanks for the info.
Holy MY ASS IS BLEEDING, scsi 2 ide converters are spendy..

yeah but you can get deals on them sometimes, though again sometimes its cheaper to get a scsi card reader (if you can find one of course)
hpsounds
stk wrote:
astroschnautzer wrote:
How about ableton live?

The Sampler add-on instrument in Ableton Live is really robust. I've used it on several gigs without any problems ?

hmmm.....

Hédi K.
hpsounds
stk wrote:
phono1337 wrote:

Here you go : http://www.scsiforsamplers.com/

Hédi K.
shamann
stk wrote:
I'd like it to be easy to deal with, so USB interface strongly preferred. (I will never touch another zip disk as long as I live).
Are the Akai S5k/6k the only samplers to offer this?

MPCs have USB, and if you can find one, there was the Akai Z4/Z8 that came towards the end of the non-MPC sampler run.

stk wrote:
I guess another option in an MPC 500/1k - can these respond to an external midi kb and be used as a more traditional sampler (ie play mapped keyboard instruments as well as triggering oneshots & loops)?

I have a 500, I don't think it would be very useful for you in this regard, it's good for some stuff, but it isn't good for keyboard mapped instruments. Not sure how deep the 1K goes with the JJOS installed.
sascha.victoria
Why not load multiple instruments in 1 instance of Kontact with your different programs and use different MIDI channels bused to your Kontact track? Then you don't need program changes.
stk
hpsounds wrote:

I found them last night.. There appears to be a haze of alleged dodginess about that mob if you Google about.. Not sure how warranted that is, of course. And they only take Western Union for international sales d'oh!

But yeah I'm tempted to just buy one of their S5Ks.
stk
sascha.victoria wrote:
Why not load multiple instruments in 1 instance of Kontact with your different programs and use different MIDI channels bused to your Kontact track? Then you don't need program changes.

I have thought of that but changing midi channels on my live controller (axiom 25) is a pita. In fact the axiom is just a pita overall..
I could probably use a midi translating plugin hmmm.....

Not sure how much of my interest in an Akai S is greener grass (and rose-coloured illusions of reliability), how much actually warranted..
voiceless
stk wrote:
hpsounds wrote:

I found them last night.. There appears to be a haze of alleged dodginess about that mob if you Google about.. Not sure how warranted that is, of course. And they only take Western Union for international sales d'oh!

I did have one friend that used a S5K and said it was just a great machine to work with. Very easy, flying files between the PC and sampler was quick.

Unfortunately that's the only word of mouth I have on it.
ignatius
stk wrote:
hpsounds wrote:

i bought a card drive from them for a kurzweil k2500rs and got it quickly and problem free. had an email exchange before hand to make sure i got the right bits for the kurz.

re: HW samplers.. akai z4/8 would probably be the easiest to deal with if you are moving things from a computer. support wav files natively i think.. i think the s5000/6000 does as well. can't recall for sure though.
automaton
ignatius wrote:
stk wrote:
hpsounds wrote:

i bought a card drive from them for a kurzweil k2500rs and got it quickly and problem free. had an email exchange before hand to make sure i got the right bits for the kurz.

re: HW samplers.. akai z4/8 would probably be the easiest to deal with if you are moving things from a computer. support wav files natively i think.. i think the s5000/6000 does as well. can't recall for sure though.

Yes, the 5K/6K does as well. I'm actually excited about the prospect of putting one of those kits in my 5000... I love that sampler. Nothing revolutionary, but it's a freakin' tank. I've had mine since they were released.
ach_gott
Not to spam all over your thread, but I have an Akai Z4 in the FS forum (see sig) that I have literally never used except to power it on. I'm open to offers at this point.
revtor
Id say, go for the AKAI Z sampler.. rackmount, it was the highest evolution of rackmount samplers, especially intemrs of data transfer.

MPC 1000 or 2500 with JJos can do samples across a keyboard no problemo.. quite flexible.. reads WAV's, CF cards for storage. (cheap gigs)

~Steve
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3