MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

A hello and couple of questions from a newbie!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author A hello and couple of questions from a newbie!
cmspgran
Hi,

First post here, been trying to get into synthesis for a few years now just as a hobby more than anything else.

I currently own a Nord lead 2 and roland jp-8000

I recently purchased another jp8000 off ebay claiming to be mint as mines quite tatty, it is indeed in a lot better condition but (being extremely picky here I know) the keys seem a bit duller and off white compared to my tattier one, is key discolouration a common thing with keyboards, what causes it or could it just be the keys they put in at the time of manufacture where a slightly different colour?

Also and probably most importantly I have set both of them back to factory settings yet on some of the patches there are slight differences to the sounds such as delay and resonance and it has nothing to do with aftertouch or anything like that. Are minor variations like this normal - one was made in 96 the other 97 but as said both have been set back to factory presets.

Apologies for all the questions on first post hope someone can shed some light thankyou smile
chimologic
and what part of MODULAR don't you understand in "Modular Synth General Discussion"?
Muff Wiggler
hey hey now, General Gear would have been a better subforum for sure, but no need to get testy, we aren't topic nazis around here! Coffee Addiction FTW

i will move this thread to General Gear, but to cmspgran, Welcome! nice to have you at the forum. The NL2 and JP8000 are some damn classic synths. I have a real softspot for NL2 8)

about the discoloration, could easily be slightly different plastic used in different manufacturing runs, maybe one had more light exposure, etc. faded keys are a good sign of character and if the rest of the instrument is in good shape this is the one part of the synth where I personally wouldn't care...

about the presets, is it possible they are slightly different revisions of the synth? that would be my guess

cheers
parasitk
At least here topics can be moved to the right spot! hihi

Welcome to Muff's, cmspgran!

Sorry I don't know anything about your synth problem, but hopefully someone around here does!
Kent
Could be different firmware or just user perception.
cmspgran
Hi thanks a lot for the very helpful comments and the warm welcome, apologies if I have caused offence chimologic it wasn't a deliberate attempt to post in the wrong forum or anything.

My JP-8000s are both running different firmwares as suggested one V1.02 the other V1.04 so is the likely cause for the slight differences in sounds between presets?

Thanks for the suggestion about the key colours muff wiggler much appreciaated grin
chimologic
ah yeah sorry. I have some holiday frustrations that I guess got out int he wrong place.

Welcome to the forums. Lots of synth ideas,nice synth sounds, nice people, and 0 female members.
Cybananna
I think smoke can discolor keys too. If the owner was a smoker or played out a lot where smoking was allowed may effect the color too.
Muff Wiggler
chimologic wrote:
ah yeah sorry. I have some holiday frustrations that I guess got out int he wrong place.

no worries 8) and damn, I hear ya very frustrating

chimologic wrote:
and 0 female members.

actually, not true. there's at least one. I suspect there's at least one more. There could be even others question who knows

but, yeah. one for sure. and i do think two for 99% sure.
dkcg
chimologic wrote:
0 female members.

cry

I've heard rumors of two actual different female members.
Kent
One of the female members that our beloved Muff refers to has her one and only post dating from 1973!

"0 Active Female Users"?
JohnLRice
Welcome, cmspgran! hihi If you hang out here long enough . . . before you know it you'll have a MIDI -> Control Voltage converter and a small rack of synth modules! w00t

Regarding the lack of women here: I'd think by now at least one lonely old spinster lady might of mistakenly joined because she saw all the cat pictires! lol
neandrewthal
JohnLRice wrote:
Welcome, cmspgran! hihi If you hang out here long enough . . . before you know it you'll have a MIDI -> Control Voltage converter and a small rack of synth modules! w00t

Regarding the lack of women here: I'd think by now at least one lonely old spinster lady might of mistakenly joined because she saw all the cat pictires! lol

Lemme at 'er Dinner at the Y
JohnLRice
neandrewthal wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:

eek! Where's the 'barf' emoticon????! Mr. Green
neandrewthal
JohnLRice wrote:
neandrewthal wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:

eek! Where's the 'barf' emoticon????! Mr. Green

Rght here: Guinness ftw!
Kent
neandrewthal wrote:

Here ya go!

Kent
neandrewthal wrote:

Here ya go!

Kent