MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

168HP rails...do they exist?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author 168HP rails...do they exist?
jonkull
OK. Search is not my friend today. Is there such a thing as a 168HP rail or are the rails in the monster cases 84HP rails that have been somehow joined together?

If there are 168HP rails does anyone know a part number? I've found nothing at the Schroff or Vector websites (or google). If they are just 84HP rails joined together does anyone know what part I would need to do this?

Thanks.
wetterberg
Proma Systems used to make them by the meter, you could even get a 3 meter rail system, if you were crazy enough - obviously these were for cutting to specific lengths, but my imagination does have me seeing a 3 meter monster case right now.

I believe you can ask kindly at www.SchneidersLaden.com - the can get the 1 meter ones, but be prepared, they supposedly cost 11 euros... EACH!
jonkull
After more searching I was able to find 60" (1.5m) Vector rails but they're $73 each. I need 2 rails at 33.6" (.85m) each so I'd have to buy 2 60" rails and have them cut which would be kind of wasteful.

Basically I built a 3U 168HP case and I need rails. I had screwed the modules directly into the wood but it looks too sloppy. I have 84HP rails but they don't work for my case because they can only be attached from the ends.
wetterberg
jonkull wrote:
Basically I built a 3U 168HP case and I need rails. I had screwed the modules directly into the wood but it looks too sloppy.
But will there then be vertical space to fit rails? Wouldn't the wood construction of it be in the way?
jonkull
wetterberg wrote:
jonkull wrote:
Basically I built a 3U 168HP case and I need rails. I had screwed the modules directly into the wood but it looks too sloppy.
But will there then be vertical space to fit rails? Wouldn't the wood construction of it be in the way?

I built it with the correct space for rails but used two 7.62mm x 854mm strips of wood instead. If I take the strips of wood out I can put rails in. The problem with using the wood is that none of the modules sit straight. I had a hard time getting the screws in and they're a little crooked.

dkcg
What about bracing the middle with something like an 8 hp faceplace, drilled for more screws? That and maybe a piece of perfectly fitting metal threaded rod joining then might be good enough, the faceplate would be the only thing you couldn't buy at the hardware store.
You may have to route out the ends to get the screws to go in enough to secure it. I did with my case. I just used two different size drillbits.
jonkull
I was thinking about bracing the middle somehow. I'm going to stop by a hardware store after work today and see what I can find. I also emailed Vector to see if I can get t-struts cut to size and what that would cost. I imagine it will be expensive...
wetterberg
jonkull wrote:
I was thinking about bracing the middle somehow.
A couple of questions:

1)what do your rails look like? Will it not be possible to screw the rails into the top of and bottom of the case? Or to drill through them so as to mount them in such a way- there are a bunch of different ones.

Same thing applies for connecting the ends together: some are threaded at the end, some even have TWO threads at the end, and that would give it quite a bit of strength.
jonkull
The rails I have came with the Doepfer DIY kit. In order to screw them into the top/bottom of the case I would have to fit some kind of spacer because the rails are oddly shaped. I'm wondering if these are the wrong rails because there's no way to even connect them at the ends.

wetterberg
yeah, you can use any piece of wood - even the wooden bits you took out wink
It won't be visible, it just needs to provide a wide point of contact between the rail and the case.

Surely doing this is both easier and cheaper than ordering new rails or doing a weird bracing system, right? smile
jonkull
I'm confused about this now. These are the rails (my last post) provided by Doepfer. The Doepfer instructions show an interior vertical measurement of 129.5mm between the top and bottom of the case. 129.5mm doesn't seem to be enough space for a module racked with these kind of rails due to the top and bottom 'lip'...they add an extra mm or so. Of course I'm just holding the rails to the case and eye-balling it.

The Doepfer instructions are also out of date as they show a different kind of rail and psu from what is actually provided.

I may end up with Vector rails after all...
wetterberg
what you do is mount two modules, one at each end, then you slot the whole rig of two rails and two modules into your case and check the fit.
jonkull
wetterberg wrote:
what you do is mount two modules, one at each end, then you slot the whole rig of two rails and two modules into your case and check the fit.

I was going to try that but had to leave for work. I'll be playing with this when I get home tonight though.
wetterberg
cool, let us know how you fare!

Coffee Addiction FTW
jonkull
Yeah...these rails don't fit. The top/bottom measurement of my case is correct but with that extra lip on the rails I'm short some space. I can't fit a module in there. I need different rails. If it's not one thing it's another...
dkcg
you just need a couple shims or washers. Go to a hobbyshop or hardware store, and you should be able to find some kinda material you could cut down as spacers or some variety pack of washers. Got a dremel? Now's the time if you do if you even need to cut anything down.

That might be the best solution too. You can space it with the washers, and it will definitely be parallel to the top and bottom. Just gotta get the right combo of washers to space it, and you won't even need any sort of center brace. grin
wetterberg
I think the problem is that once the rails are in place there isn't enough space for the modules?

you can get rear rails, as used in the Schroff racks - these don't have a lip.
jonkull
Yeah but the problem I have now is that these rails don't fit the 129.5mm spec in the DIY Kit manual that I built the case to. When the rails are mounted I can't fit a module in them because the lips on the top and bottom edge of the rails make it too narrow.
dkcg
Oh. Now i see...No way around routing it out i think.
jonkull
I just ordered Vector t-struts. Hopefully they'll fit better. If not I'll just sell them along with the ones I have now.
dougcl
wetterberg wrote:

you can get rear rails, as used in the Schroff racks - these don't have a lip.

Yep, rear rails will work. They are flat on both sides. I've never seen a Vector rail, so I don't know if they'll work.

Jon, I could trade you lipless rear rails for your DIY rails.
jonkull
dougcl wrote:
Jon, I could trade you lipless rear rails for your DIY rails.

Works for me. I'll send you a PM.

Vector T-Strut:

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1