MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New sub forum - Video Synthesis
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Announcements - Please read!  
Author New sub forum - Video Synthesis
sandyb
as some of you may have noticed (trying to look while i still had it locked!) we have a new sub forum dedicated to video synthesis. It's peanut butter jelly time!

there has been quite a lot of discussion about this interesting aspect of synthesis in the last few months here and it's time for a central place to collect all the valuable information together.

the sub forum will largely concentrate on modular/standalone video generation, processing and the techniques and hardware required to do this.

i've moved quite a few relevant threads over but if anyone finds others that i've missed just PM me the link and i'll have a look.

sandy
Reality Checkpoint
Thanks Sandy!

thumbs up
franzschuier
kewl
authorless
Awesome. It is something that I do not entirely understand, but I would like to. I look forward to learning.
amsonx
thanks Sandy, great addition thumbs up

only a question: topic on sofware for video synthesys are admitted ?
sandyb
authorless wrote:
Awesome. It is something that I do not entirely understand, but I would like to. I look forward to learning.

exactly how i feel.
sandyb
amsonx wrote:

while i think the sub forum has a hardware bias, if the software is being used for video synthesis then i don't see why not. particularly if it is being used in some way with video synth modules/hardware too.
amsonx
sandyb wrote:
amsonx wrote:

while i think the sub forum has a hardware bias, if the software is being used for video synthesis then i don't see why not. particularly if it is being used in some way with video synth modules/hardware too.

thanks !

when i wrote the question i've in my mind software tools as quartz composer, Isadora, MAx/MSP and Pd that are very close to the mdular synthesys concept.
TWINSTATES
Please dont take this the wrong way but I don't understand why anyone would use modules when computers are clearly superior? Audio i get it, tubes and decently made audio gear gives a lovely sound. But compare video synthesis against what you can do with a computer and it seems lacking.

It's not the same as audio is it? All the video synthesis stuff i have seen just seems like it would be so much easier and better if done on a computer.

If I am missing somehting then please let me know. I keep trying to understand why anyone would be interested in this apart from in the same way that people restore steam engines...

Ta!
don h
TWINSTATES wrote:
Please dont take this the wrong way but I don't understand why anyone would use modules when computers are clearly superior? Audio i get it, tubes and decently made audio gear gives a lovely sound. But compare video synthesis against what you can do with a computer and it seems lacking.

It's not the same as audio is it? All the video synthesis stuff i have seen just seems like it would be so much easier and better if done on a computer.

If I am missing somehting then please let me know. I keep trying to understand why anyone would be interested in this apart from in the same way that people restore steam engines...

Ta!

At the top, I would suggest its about the art. There's an aesthetic I think, surrounding video synthesis that like with modulars, is prime for much greater exploration than it initially enjoyed. Video, when manipulated in the physical manner as video synthesizers allow becomes a different material. The differences can influence how an artist relates to their work. When video synthesis was first introduced, there was only a small audience, over a too short period. It was an art exploring video and electronics as material. Today, as with music, there's hope in new audiences discovering or rediscovering and being able to digest these ideas. I believe much of the aesthetic surrounding modular synthesis is based on the material as well. Just as being more free these days from being bound to tonality in music, we are more free to move beyond narrative.

These video synth modules also deliver features that would be difficult to replicate in software. The ability to use control voltages on both audio and video would allow organic sound/image relationships. One would not be forced to attempt pitch or beat extraction. Being physical, the video modules would invite a certain immediacy too.
amsonx
@ don h:

i totally agree your opinion and i like to have this module in my hand ( in the the past i use a lot 3/4 inch video tape and analog video mixer so i know how is the hardware immediacy) but for now i cant afford it so i'm exploring the interaction between SW and HW : i.e use the CV input feature of Slient way to modulate a Quartz composer comp and so on..
don h
Yeah, affordability of electronic art is still real tough. I think any solution an artist can come up with is effective enough. I question how any means might be viewed as superior. I prefer to regard things as just different.
sandyb
TWINSTATES wrote:
Please dont take this the wrong way but I don't understand why anyone would use modules...

because you can.
TWINSTATES
Yeah,
because you can makes sense.
it's like the guy riding the unicylce to work in the traffiat old street roundabout.
Most people think he's crazy, he prbably loves doing it.
I think there's a big difference though.

Visual imagery is much more complex and it's almost like the video stuff is the opposite of analogue - it's noticably worse.

I guess it's like the visual equivalent of chip tune
falafelbiels
Very cool subforum, lots of nice stuff there.

w00t
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Announcements - Please read!  
Page 1 of 1