MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

diy cables?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author diy cables?
patchdub
what are folks here using for their cables and connectors? i'd like to get a spool of something i am just not sure what to get and where to get it.

thanks.
Kent
Get something flexible & not too stiff. You are looking for 20 or 22 gauge cable. The smaller the number, the skinnier the conductive core. You'll want it shielded too.
NV
Also be sure to purchase stranded core wire, rather than solid core. Stranded wire is much more flexible and is far less prone to intermittent or broken connections as it is flexed over time.

For modular patch cables, which carry very powerful signals (~10V), I am more prone to say the difference in performance of affordable cable compared to high quality cable (Mogami, Canare, etc) is not enough to justify the increase in price. You can find perfectly high quality 20AWG shielded cable for about $.30 a foot, whereas Mogami will run you about $.75/foot. The only time I would prefer something like Mogami or Canare would be for microphone applications or long runs of high impedance signals, and even then the difference is often debatable.
flight
NV wrote:
...and even then the difference is often debatable.

Let the flame war begin!
sandyb
i generally use dotcom cables for my 5U system. however i do usually diy when i need other cables around my music room. i tend to stick to van damme instrument cable and neutrik 1/4inch jacks - never had any issues with them.
and please - if anyone posts a picture of john-claude van damme i will hunt you down and make you read the doepfer perfect sine thread a thousand times hihi

sandy
wetterberg
sandyb wrote:

and please - if anyone posts a picture of john-claude van damme i will hunt you down and make you read the doepfer perfect sine thread a thousand times hihi
How about a picture of JEAN-Claude Van Damme, then? hihi

sandyb
my bad - apologies to our french speaking wigglers (or jean - claude van damme fans)
Kwote
Van Damme! That's it? That's all?

Suburban Bather
Good store for bulk cable and jacks + many many other things-
http://www.markertek.com

For less than 18" just get a couple packs of these, 8 color coded cables for $20-
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Live-Wire-1414-Patch-Ca ble-8Pack?sku=330488
JohnLRice
Well, I've had a box of 100 brand new Switchcraft TS phones plugs for years that I didn't know what to do with . . but NOW I do! I'm gonna get me some o dat sexy slinky Mogami cable (or Canare or Gotham or Gepco) and make up some patch cords!

And http://www.redco.com/ is an excellent place to get bulk cable, connectors and/or to get custom cables built for you!
patchdub
thanks for all the advice and the heads up on making sure its stranded cable.
chromium
Don't forget some heat shrink strain reliefs w00t

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT &item=120309740210

Just bought a couple rolls of that ~$25 per 100 feet shipped, and it seems thicker/better/stronger than the stuff I was buying locally. Good stuff.


I use Canare mic cable on my ribbon controllers. Definite overkill, but that stuff is so smoooove and slinky. Around $100 per 200 feet, and when you get yourself all tangled up in its soft suppleness, you'll know where dat money went hihi


Thanks for this:

JohnLRice wrote:
http://www.redco.com/


Anyone have experiences with those Neutrik or "Redco brand" TS Switchcraft-knockoffs they sell?
Babaluma
i only use mogami 2552 (balanced) and 2524 (unbalanced) with neutrik connectors in my studio. i bought 200 feet of each and am very happy with it.

i'm looking for something with a smaller width for making my own 1/8" patch cables, if anyone has any recommendations?
Suburban Bather
Babaluma wrote:
i only use mogami 2552 (balanced) and 2524 (unbalanced) with neutrik connectors in my studio. i bought 200 feet of each and am very happy with it.

i'm looking for something with a smaller width for making my own 1/8" patch cables, if anyone has any recommendations?


http://www.markertek.com/SearchProduct.asp?item=2330&off=0&sort=prod&s kuonly=0&search=2330&pagesize=20

These are great cables at a $1 a piece
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/CB-352/2-CABLE-MONO-3. 5MM-PHONE-PLUGS-BOTH-ENDS/-/1.html
Babaluma
thanks dude, that mogami 2330 looks like just the ticket wink
JohnLRice
Babaluma wrote:
thanks dude, that mogami 2330 looks like just the ticket wink


A lot cheaper at Redco, though! 8)

http://www.redco.com/shopexd.asp?id=489
chromium
I have a (possibly stupid) question related to this topic.

If I were to build up standard 1/4" TS patch cables using Canare L-4E6S shielded quad-conductor cable (of which I already have quite a bit of on-hand), what would be the best use of the four conductors?

- Wire all four conductors to the tip, and the shield to the sleeve?
- 2 to the tip, 2+shield to the sleeve?
- 1 to the tip... hyper eek!

I just wondered if there is any compelling advantage or detriment to one approach over another. hmmm.....
JohnLRice
chromium wrote:
I have a (possibly stupid) question related to this topic.

If I were to build up standard 1/4" TS patch cables using Canare L-4E6S shielded quad-conductor cable (of which I already have quite a bit of on-hand), what would be the best use of the four conductors?

- Wire all four conductors to the tip, and the shield to the sleeve?
- 2 to the tip, 2+shield to the sleeve?
- 1 to the tip... hyper eek!

I just wondered if there is any compelling advantage or detriment to one approach over another. hmmm.....


If it was me . . . i think i would just connect all four to the tip to get the lowest resistance and most robust connection. But I doubt any combination would be actually 'bad'.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group