MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Converting to Bananas...Who will give me troubles?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Converting to Bananas...Who will give me troubles?
Reese P. Dubin
OK so I am now thinking I may look into some contemporary modular gear, cuz there are a few things I cant make etc... BUT, I am sworn to the banana cult for life. I have seen some damn snazzy conversions of Euro and Frac stuff to bananas, and am wondering if some souls with hands on insight could shed some light on the subject.

Whose stuff is gonna present a problem? Who uses the most evil switching jacks? I am most interested in things like the miniwave, and maybe some livewire stuff cuz it looks kinda nutty.

hey thanks!
parasitk
I can't answer your question, but if you go banana, you can get a Modcan format MiniWave! w00t
BananaPlug
Quote:
I am sworn to the banana cult for life. I have seen some damn snazzy conversions of Euro and Frac stuff to bananas, and am wondering if some souls with hands on insight could shed some light on the subject.

Welcome banana brother! w00t I guess we should talk.

The Miniwave is easy. I don't have any Livewire. Doepfers are sometimes hard to get the old jacks off without lifting traces. Blacet's generally a breeze. The Plan B modules I have were good too. Haven't seen any Cwejman in person but anything with the PCB parallel to the panel and close enough for board mounted jacks is probably a headache.

Switching jacks? I generally drill a hole nearby and add a switch.
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=795
felix
Based on what you said about Cwejman, parallel faceplate and tight spaces, all the Livewire stuff will be tough, Harvestman probably really tough.

I've be considering doing the same thing to whatever euro modules that I decide to keep, should I move to Serge...sounds like that might be a tougher job than I thought.

I'm particularly worried about modifying the panel...I'd like to be able to return it back to 1/8" should I eventually want to sell it.
BananaPlug
Quote:
parallel faceplate and tight spaces

The banana jacks need about .75" behind the panel.

Quote:
I'm particularly worried about modifying the panel...I'd like to be able to return it back to 1/8" should I eventually want to sell it.

The banana plugs sometimes fit the mini-jack holes and sometimes the holes need to be reamed out a little. I have a drawer full of mini jacks and in most cases could undo the mod cleanly. A bit of a nuisance but certainly an option. In cases where I've put in extra switches, well I guess that is a problem. On the other hand our Aussie friend known here as Amnesia managed to sell some of his bananafied modules quite easily - to me. hihi

Here's my Plan B Model 12 filter. As clean a conversion as can be. I unplugged the ribbon to the connector board, removed that board, made a new ribbon cable and wired it to banana jacks installed in the existing holes. The holes were actually a little too big so I put a tiny rubber band like orthodontists use around each jack so they line up nicely.
amnesia
The Livewire Dual Cyclo you can banana, but the rest will be tough.
neandrewthal
Reese P. Dubin wrote:
evil switching jacks?

That was uncalled for.
Reese P. Dubin
Dont get me wrong, I LOVE the idea of switching jacks. Scott Stites has elevated their use to high art. However in the US vs. THEM world of bananamen switching jacks are similar to SATAN LICKING THE TEARS OF AN ORPHAN ON XMAS EVE!!!!
parasitk
Reese P. Dubin wrote:
SATAN LICKING THE TEARS OF AN ORPHAN ON XMAS EVE!!!!

How does everyone know about my xmas plans? Dammit. On that note, I love switching jacks! Cthulhu
neandrewthal
Reese P. Dubin wrote:
Scott Stites has elevated their use to high art.

Could you please provide me with evidence to support that haughty claim?

I just need to know who I'm dealing with on my way to becoming the switching jack master SlayerBadger!
parasitk
I've heard Hitler liked switching jacks.

Guinness ftw!

(edit: Horton's Godwin in effect y'all!)
johnnymad
lol
Kwote
parasitk wrote:
I've heard Hitler liked switching jacks.

He also liked exterminating Jews. Coincidence? I think not!!
JohnLRice
Well ya know . . . it wouldn't be all that hard for some manufacturer to make a SWITCHING BANANA JACK! I can think of a few different feesable designs allthough what I'm thinking of would make them probably more expensive than 1/4" switching jacks.
neandrewthal
JohnLRice wrote:
Well ya know . . . it wouldn't be all that hard for some manufacturer to make a SWITCHING BANANA JACK! I can think of a few different feesable designs allthough what I'm thinking of would make them probably more expensive than 1/4" switching jacks.

WANT

Or even better, stackable 3.5/6mm cables. That way you don't need to modify or retrofit anything.
Cat-A-Tonic
Mono-splitters work fine for 'stacking'.
When in need even a stereo-splitter will work.
I tend to use these more often than multiples.
Disclaimer: I only have 1 4-way multiple and don't use it all that frequently.
Mono-splitters, albeit not the sleekest or prettiest ones are available at the 100yen store.
Maybe you can find something similar in a $1 store too.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1