MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index

FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Working on fixing the 'session logged out' issue - please log out and log back in as there is a new cookie name. It MAY be worse for a while, sorry. We'll see... I'm working on it. Thanks

List of Hardware Video Synthesizers & Audiovisualizers
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author List of Hardware Video Synthesizers & Audiovisualizers

lizlarsen

An obvious place to launch our new subforum is with a list of available tools.

This list will contain current/active hardware devices only, including both commercial and DIY devices. Devices must either generate or process visual content based on the application of audio or control voltages, or generate or process visual content expressly for artistic/effects purposes.

Historical devices and software will be reserved for future discussion/threads. If anything is missing or information is out of date, please post below or send me a PM.

Synthesizer modules

brownshoesonly
Triple Video VCA
Quad Video Attenuator/Mixer

Dave Jones Design
MVIP Mini Video Image Processor

LZX Industries
Video Sync Generator
Color Video Encoder
Video Ramps
Video Waveform Generator
Video Blending Matrix
Triple Video Fader & Key Generator
Triple Video Processor
Voltage Interface I
Voltage Bridge
Differentiator
Function Generator
Triple Video Multimode Filter
Amplitude Classifier
Video Colorspace Modulator

MFB
VD-01 Videoscope

Standalone devices

Bleeplabs
Gieskes HSS3i

Critter & Guitari
Television Oscilloscope
Cellular Automata video synthesizer

Edirol (Roland)
CG-8 Visual Synthesizer

Korg
KPE-1 KAOSSPAD Entrancer

LZX Industries
BitVision video synthesizer

Milkymist
Milkymist One interactive VJ station

North Country Radio
Video Palette II

Synchronator

DIY / Non-Commercial

Anyma Research
Synkie system

Berto Aussems
VISUALIST, a video paintbox

GDEIP video synthesizer

Gieskes.nl
Time Base Forcer

Narrat1ve
Video Mess Tool

Synthpunk Industries
Video Oscillator schematics

lizlarsen

Does anyone know if there are any currently manufactured Korg or Edirol products that may be applicable for this list? I am guessing the Entrancer may qualify, but I believe it is no longer available/supported.

I'm trying to avoid any "standard featureset" video mixers, keyers, wipe generators, etc -- otherwise the list would get flooded with that stuff. If it has an audio input or performance features, I think it "fits". This is a community effort though, so if anyone disagrees or think something works with this list, please let me know.

adamf

Yeah Korg seems to have dropped their video products. A few years back I was hoping there would be a rash of interesting video gear appearing as companies tried to compete to capture a new market but it didn't quite happen. Maybe that day has arrived for Euro modules instead!

I have a 2nd hand Entrancer. I've wanted to try it with my modular using a CV to MIDI module for LFO synched video transformations etc.

The Entrancer is a lot of fun in feedback patches and for basic geometric type transformations of source material. Sampling and "delay" can be fun too.

I have a simple video synthesis system using my Euro VCOs and a synch generator /RGB encoder arrangement that I started playing with a couple of years back. Its limited to horizontal unsynched bars due to the nature of the oscillators I'm using, but the Entrancer can reshape those bars into quite a few interesting patterns.

I believe Edirol still does their image synth thing and also has their very popular midi-able VJ mixers along with some image playback type devices.

lizlarsen

Cool, I'll do some research and see what's still current.

Entrancer should probably go on this list, since it's probably not hard to get one. I am just trying to keep this list to the tools/resources that are still relevant/available.

That's a really great way to get a video synthesis setup with audio/encoder and an entrancer on the output!! Post some videos with details on the gear used!

giorgio

is the bitvision kit available at all? I tried the link above and looking through the switchedonaustin.com website but I couldn't find anything. maybe it is done? I'd love to build one.

lizlarsen

i'm playing catch up on a lot of stuff after that workshop, since the Bitvision project was pretty all consuming for a while. but they will be available soon, probably within a week, as both kits and assembled units. e-mail me if you'd like to get e-mailed when they're up. smile

giorgio

wow, awesome, thanks for the quick response, and what seems like an awesome product/project. e-mail on the way.

adamf

creatorlars wrote:
Cool, I'll do some research and see what's still current.

Entrancer should probably go on this list, since it's probably not hard to get one. I am just trying to keep this list to the tools/resources that are still relevant/available.

That's a really great way to get a video synthesis setup with audio/encoder and an entrancer on the output!! Post some videos with details on the gear used!

Edirol/Roland's device is called the CG-8.

I believe there are still some "new old stock" Entrancers out there somewhere. They're a pretty cool device for those interested in experimental video using dedicated hardware rather than computers... which maybe was lost on the VJ world at which it was aimed. There actually hasn't been much out there like it before or since. (Yes, there are other digital video effects units, but most were aimed at the broadcast market and aren't as whacky or wideranging in their effects). Some of its effects can be too extreme a mutation/mutilation of certain source material. For me it works best on abstract and pattern based material rather than live video and clips. Sometimes video can appear blocky or latency might make video seem sluggish (depends on the effect selected), but for synthesised video sources this isn't always bad... I think much of the cheese attributed to the device stems from the sometimes dubious uses it was put to and the temptation many may have had to go nuts on the x-y surface when controlling it. (Again sometimes good... but sometimes subtle movements are more effective).

I have poor internet connectivity so can't upload videos at the moment. I have attached some screen shots though. The gear is Euro oscillators and processing modules to RGB "encoding" setup, output as PAL video to a 20 year old ForA DVE unit then the Entrancer (then on to a DV camera for recording, which was then output to PC over firewire. The screen shots were grabbed from the editor timeline).

I'll start a new thread on vintage video gear to discuss these things further and also another thread in the future about consumer and security video gear that can be put to use.

johnnywoods

adamf wrote:

Nice! I see some video effect #75 on the Entrancer in there... totally the best one 8_)

adamf

Thanks, could be number 75. Not sure (without checking). Quite likely did end up somewhere in the 70s!

I usually just start scrolling through effects and play with things that look interesting. I do have a few favourites saved to the buttons above the controller pad. Some effects are good for reshaping patterns, others work well in a feedback loop, some are good for messing with colours. Sometimes its a pity that you can only have one effect at a time. Could be interesting to chain them. Still one is better than none! I guess I could always add more Entrancers! Several of them probably could be chained to form a video synth. (Why not? It has some basic generators, a bunch of effects, a control surface and motion sequence recording for automated modulations. Get 2 or 3 hooked up, perhaps add a distribution amp for feeding the output back to the input and you could have a lot of fun).

adamf

What about that Restate Rebelle thing? Does that count? Really hard to find out what it does from the website. I think it may just be some sort of video synch messing box. A glitch machine?

There's apparently this too:

http://www.emsrehberg.de/VIDEOSIZER/videosizer.html

Only 40,000 Euro?!

lizlarsen

Have they made those EMS units in recent history? I've heard about them, but I don't think they're in production still. I'd be interested to hear more about?

I think the Restate Rebelle thing would count. There's also this, but it's not available yet I don't think:
http://www.milkymist.org/

snufkin

creatorlars wrote:
Have they made those EMS units in recent history? I've heard about them, but I don't think they're in production still. I'd be interested to hear more about?

I think the Restate Rebelle thing would count. There's also this, but it's not available yet I don't think:
http://www.milkymist.org/

the Rebelle was a very limited production run of 6 or 8 I think

and the EMS units have not been made for a long time but the EMS Spectron/Spectre, Videosizer and the Peter Donebauer Videokalos were all designed by Richard Monkhouse http://www.richardmonkhouse.co.uk/

daverj

I may have played with an early prototype of the Videosizer, though it didn't have a name at the time.

Richard Monkhouse came to a meeting of video designers/engineers involved in non-profit organizations around NY state. It was held at the VideoFreex' house in the Catskills in the mid 70s. He brought with him a prototype of something he was working on. It was a box with a computer keyboard mounted on it and a few knobs and switches. It made all sorts of colored shapes as you pressed the keys

Somewhere I have a group photo of all of us.

snufkin

daverj wrote:
I may have played with an early prototype of the Videosizer, though it didn't have a name at the time.

Richard Monkhouse came to a meeting of video designers/engineers involved in non-profit organizations around NY state. It was held at the VideoFreex' house in the Catskills in the mid 70s. He brought with him a prototype of something he was working on. It was a box with a computer keyboard mounted on it and a few knobs and switches. It made all sorts of colored shapes as you pressed the keys

Somewhere I have a group photo of all of us.

that would be amazing to see Mr Jones we're not worthy

LEVLHED

snufkin wrote:

the Rebelle was a very limited production run of 6 or 8 I think

more like 3 or 4. I had two of them in my possession at one point...

snufkin

http://www.shop.openstomp.com/

open stomp has a video output as its based on the Propeller

bitSmasher

Gieske's HSS3i via Bleep Labs
http://bleeplabs.com/hss3i/

11ish

There was also the Korg Kaptivator. Impossible to get nowadays, very pricey if one pops up on the second hand market.

lizlarsen

Cool, I've added the HS33i.
Any devices that aren't readily available or are out of production are generally not included on this specific list. A list of vintage devices and TV gear would be a really good thing at some point too though.

11ish

I see, sorry... but the Entrancer and the Edirol CG8 aren't available either, afaik..

LEVLHED

Not new production anymore, correct. They can be found used though.....

ocd synthnerd

Has anyone used an edirol p-10?
Expensive, but looks handy with a modular video system.

Just curious if anyone had used one and what they thought of it.

johnnywoods

ocd synthnerd wrote:
Has anyone used an edirol p-10?
Expensive, but looks handy with a modular video system.

Just curious if anyone had used one and what they thought of it.

it's very cool, but a little limited. It's a solid piece of gear, though. I don't personally own one but some friends of mine use them, and they say it is rock solid in performance.

I got a Korg Kaptivator to serve the same needs (I was deciding between the two), and I think it's a lot more bang for the buck (if you can find one). It has two channels of playback with a crossfader, and the image quality is a bit better (it uses full 4:2:2 color space, and less compression). The downside of he Korg is it doesn't have audio, and no removable media or computer connection. Which is a huge pain in the ass, but I've gotten used to it. seriously, i just don't get it

Matos

Anyone use a mistymilk yet? Looks very interesting and networked.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3