MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Euro/Frac Supersaw module coming from MOTM
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Euro/Frac Supersaw module coming from MOTM
synthetic
From the Yahoo list:

Saving the biggest for last: in late April to early March I will be offering Euro Rack modules. The first is called the E340 SuperSaw VCO. It is a digital VCO that has up to 8 detuned sawtooths and sines. It's not a full-blown Cloud Generator, it has maybe 40% of the features. Yes, there will be a Frac version. More details to follow smile
parasitk
Cool, finally! I'm not so into the whole "supersaw" concept personally, but a "supersine" sounds like a lot of fun. SlayerBadger!
plord
Wouldn't a supersine be like doing additive synthesis with only 8 partials?
chimologic
that would be my guess, but I am imagining there is some kind of cv control for the separation of the waves, among other functions, for some kind of animation style sounds? is also nice to have the sound of 8 oscillators in a small amount of real state....

either way excited that motm is going to start doing Euro Format!
fluxmonkey
i frankly don['t understand why more mfrs don't offer both euro/frac versions of their modules. seems like the biggest investment would be the PCB design, and most designs would be physcially cross-compatible and in most cases only need a few component changes to switch between 12 and 15 volts.... so it's just a matter of doing 2 panel runs with similar layouts but slighty different dimensions.

not that i'd offer advice to any of those guys, they know their stuff better than i do for sure...

b
plord
You got your voltage differences in some cases also, so maybe sometimes it's less than trivial to get 10V p-p on 15V when you spec'd to 5V p-p on 12V?
synthetic
More:

Quote:
Photos of breadboard here:

www.synthtech.com/misc/e340_bb1.jpg

www.synthtech.com/misc/e340_bb2.jpg

Early demo (anti-aliasing code not tweaked) showing different settings

www.synthtech.com/misc/e340_saw_test.mp3

Enveloping the various CV inputs to get a "whump" tone (for sine and saw):

www.synthtech.com/misc/e340_sine1.mp3

www.synthtech.com/misc/e340_saw1.mp3

Paul S.
wetterberg
I think the biggest change from single-format to multi-format would be in the pcb design and in sourcing parts.

I know it takes a lot of time and effort to set up a network of suppliers for panels, knobs, switches, jacks and so on. But the biggest problem has to be the PCBs.

Look at the Blacet boards: He could make a killing in euro, a lot of his circuits would probably work more or less out of the box on +-12v, but the damned boards are SO ENORMOUS, that they wouldn't fit without a thorough remix.
Kwote
parasitk wrote:
a "supersine" sounds like a lot of fun. SlayerBadger!

as long as it's perfect that should be no problem.
felix
Kwote wrote:
parasitk wrote:
a "supersine" sounds like a lot of fun. SlayerBadger!

as long as it's perfect that should be no problem.

Ah yes, but this will be digital, which, as we all have learned, is not perfect because it is too perfect.

:shotgun in mouth:
synthetic
www.synthtech.com/misc/euro_mock1.gif
wetterberg
[quote="synthetic"]More:

Quote:
Photos of breadboard here:

www.synthtech.com/misc/e340_bb1.jpg

www.synthtech.com/misc/e340_bb2.jpg

lols at "breadboard"

paults
a) much easier to do a 'giant' pc board than mess with the SMT soldering on daughter cards/perf board.

b) currently 40% done with production E340 card layout. Expect to have beta test units ready by end of Feb.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1