MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Nice cheap wood racks
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Nice cheap wood racks
BananaPlug
A couple years ago I decided to go frankensynth and built a pretty nice looking cabinet with birch ply and metal rack rails. hyper
Soon I realized that more trial and error was needed. hmmm.....

I got good at knocking together rough racks from mostly trash picked plywood and strips of moulding. Periodically I'd look around for commercial alternatives. The steel cornered road boxes can be economical but I didn't want that look and wasn't going on the road. The most reasonably priced furniture grade stuff was tempting until I added the shipping cost, and they seemed a bit overkill to me.

So I wrote a note to my carpenter friend Sally:

Can you build this for me? How much? When?

I need two boxes made of (approx) 1/2" or 3/8" thick plywood. I prefer the thinner stuff and a nicer veneer finish but plain old 1/2" plywood is fine.

No front or back.

The inside dimensions are what matter: 19.125" width, 29.875" height, 10" depth (the depth is somewhat negotiable). These dimensions include 1/8" extra in each direction for tolerance.

On the inside of each side panel, there needs to be a strip of 1/2" x 1/2" wood (ready made at Lowes) running vertically for the full height of the box. The front edge of this should be set back 1/4" from the front opening of the box. Electronic equipment will be screwed into these

The same 1/2" x 1/2" stock can be glued into the four corner joints to strengthen the boxes.

I'll put an oil finish on them.

I think that's everything.

From those instructions and a follow up phone call (the strips are nominally 1/2" x 3/4" not 1/2" x 1/2") she made me exactly what I wanted, two simple 17U boxes, for a very down to earth price.

Here they are after a quick going over with 220 grit sandpaper and a quickly wiped on coat of oil finish.

They look much warmer away from the fluorescent lit glare of my basement.

If you're in the Philly / South Jersey area and want Sally to make some boxes for you PM me and I'll see if I can hook you up. thumbs up
voicetospirit
Wow, those look great!
russma
Nuthin' sexier than a girl who can work with wood.

booty wiggler

PS: don't ruin it with any facts, m-kay?

hihi
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1