MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

CGS Serge tales
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author CGS Serge tales
Kwote
can't believe i overlooked this. fascinating stuff:

http://www.cgs.synth.net/synth/serge/index.html

still haven't had a chance to get through it all.
knittingram
Has any one built one of these and successfully integrated it into a serge system; perhaps in an m-boat?

http://www.cgs.synth.net/modules/cgs59_prog.html

I want to find someone to build one for me and I want to see if anyone has had any success.

I was thinking, with the bridechamber component kit it wouldn't be too expensive.

here
Babaluma
michael ford of metalbox builds those.

http://metalbox.com/modules/programmer.html
knittingram
Awesome! Now if I can only coax him to squeeze it into the left side of my m-boat!

Thanks Babaluma!
zthee
knittingram https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10525

It's a whole boat. But you get some extra goodies in there.

Though you'd have to build it yourself (or hire someone) smile
pickleinn
I built one that fits into an m-boat (6 step). But I sold it a couple months ago. It fits right into my m-boat (nice pair with the creature).

Here it is installed with other m-odule rip-offs (bottom right):

I can send you the full sized graphic if you are interested (pdf, dwg or dxf).

Ryan
knittingram
@zthee Man! That is sooo tempting!
But for me it looks a little difficult and may be hard to integrate with my m-class setup. AGHH but it is so good looking and such an inexpensive alternative.

@pickleinn wow that setup is amazing! Who built that buchla boat for you?
So, impressive.. PM sent!
jooks
I´ve built one 6-stage seq of pickleinns designs. I´d be temted to sell it if I got a good offer since I need cash to build more modules (and I will soon build zthees 17" seq/prog panel It's peanut butter jelly time! )
It´s made to fit a boat and it´s tested and working.

More pictures: 6-stage SEQ/PROG flickr

mono-poly
I love those Serge diy systems!
knittingram
Damn Jooks! Is that all DIY serge?

pm'd you.
pickleinn
Nice one Jooks!

where can I see more pictures? Those look great
MindMachine
Fantastic builds... just the most beautiful. Champagne
knittingram
check out this Ian Fritz tribute M-odule I fantasized about last night.

still rough but i think it would be do-able if a few details were worked out.

Teezer Through-Zero VCO> 5Pulsar Waveshaper> Jerkster Chaos> ChaQuO> All-in-One EG
knittingram
Ok here's the finished thing. I'm not sure if the font is too big or if the jacks and pots will clear the text.

Now, I just gotta find out if this could even work. I am pretty sure that Ian's module do 12v and 15v simultaneously.
mono-poly
I like the idea of an ian panel!
Fnord
That's pretty awesome.
jooks
Great with an Ian panel! Designing your own panels really opens up a whole new world!

I think you need to have some more clearance between the fonts and jacks/pots. Print out the layout and glue it to cardboard and then try to mount it with pots and jacks. It´s a good (and much cheaper!) way to find out if the layout works.

It´s also good to plan how to mount the pcb´s so they fit behind the panel. If you plan to use a 3" boat it´s not much space behind. CGS pcb´s are often no problem since they are dimensioned to fit the sergeformat but it´s sometimes very hard to mount many different sizes on that small space...
knittingram
Yea I had a feeling that the fonts were too big but when you have 60+ layers on a photoshop document its kind of a pain to go through all the text layers to change font sizes. But I will anyways.

Also, I did give the PCBs a thought and I was imagining mounting them all parallel to the panel. I am not positive that would work but it seems like the logical idea with a panel like this.

Does anyone know what the Serge style fonts are?
I am not too ken on doing a TOTAL ripoff 8_) but
those fonts seem to be working the best.

Thanks.
Luka
illustrator > photoshop for panels
for this and many other reasons
parasitk
Luka wrote:
illustrator > photoshop for panels
for this and many other reasons

Absolutely.

Also - Serge font is ITC Eras.

Also handy - http://muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7169 thumbs up
Roycie Roller
you've spelt coarse as 'course'.

The tg/t/s/h could be a good one to use in a panel, as it was designed to be used with the chaos modules.
knittingram
@Luka & parasitik So, what do you guys do in Illustrator and how do you modify it when you get in Photoshop. I really had to jerry-rig some things to get that panel to look like that. I guess I need to learn illustrator now. Thanks for the lead on ITC Eras! I already have it on my Mac.

@Roycie Roller Oops! I will have to correct that typo when I change the font.
As for t/g/t/s/h, I have plans to cram that module and the rest of Fritz' circuits in another M-odule so you can have a whole Fritz system in 1 m-boat.

The only bummer is Fritz doesn't have a VCA circuit so neither of these modules I wanna make can be amplified unless I run them through my X-fader on my Creature.
parasitk
knittingram wrote:
@Luka & parasitik So, what do you guys do in Illustrator and how do you modify it when you get in Photoshop. I really had to jerry-rig some things to get that panel to look like that. I guess I need to learn illustrator now. Thanks for the lead on ITC Eras! I already have it on my Mac.

I wouldn't bring it into Photoshop at all – what do you need to do in PS?
knittingram
lol PS is all I used. I just copied the lines from old designs and nudged them together until they looked right. I have Illustrator but I need to learn how to use it.
Roycie Roller
knittingram wrote:

As for t/g/t/s/h, I have plans to cram that module and the rest of Fritz' circuits in another M-odule so you can have a whole Fritz system in 1 m-boat.

Sounds like a great idea! I've always thought it would be excellent to have all of his modules set up as their own system, maybe as a stand alone synth with some normalling behind the panel, but also having ins & outs for patching.

knittingram wrote:

The only bummer is Fritz doesn't have a VCA circuit so neither of these modules I wanna make can be amplified unless I run them through my X-fader on my Creature.

I've gotten some really beautiful sounds through Thomas White's LPG clone- i think the LPG & chaos go really well with each other. The Teezer sounds excellent through the LPG too.

I'd also like to try them through a CGS tube VCA as well.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2