MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Affordable and Reliable MIDI Thru and Splitter?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Affordable and Reliable MIDI Thru and Splitter?
daren
Has anyone have any recommendations? I've been looking at the MIDI Solutions Quadra model. Seems to pop up a lot on ebay and it doesn't require power. Seems quite convenient!
dkcg
I use a Kenton midi spitter/thru and a kenton midi merger. Uses a wallwart, but works well, never had any problems with either.
Arturo00
This may be overkill, requires AC and may not even be close to what you're looking for, but I have a Roland A-880 MIDI Patchbay. It is the single best utility piece (aside from my Roland MSQ-100) in my synth studio. It's stand alone (ie. no USB) and you can route anything to anything else, there's patch memory and all the controls are on the front panel!!!

Also worth looking into is the JL Cooper MSB+. I've seen either go for dirt cheap. I'm talking 50 bucks cheap!

Anyway, worth looking into if you you have the rack space.

Note: I'm pretty sure you can merge with the A-880. But I think it's something you'd have to setup first...
chamomileshark
+1 on the kenton boxes. Reasonably cheap, I have both the splitter and merge boxes.
giorgio

I have used one of these off and on for years. actually it belongs to a friend, who when I met him I was using the thru connectors on 3 or 4 keyboards and he lent me this. I never gave it back. Can't find it now... but if you can find one, it is rock solid, doesn't need external power, and never failed once.
daren
giorgio wrote:

I have used one of these off and on for years. actually it belongs to a friend, who when I met him I was using the thru connectors on 3 or 4 keyboards and he lent me this. I never gave it back. Can't find it now... but if you can find one, it is rock solid, doesn't need external power, and never failed once.

This looks like what I'm needing. The Kentons are seriously unaffordable with the wage I'm earning. What's up with the "Power" and "9VDC" inputs?
giorgio
i want to say that the power is a button and 9VDC is an input for external power in case whatever is driving it sucks, doesn't conform to the MIDI standard, and can't power it. IIRC. we never needed it, just worked. I will see if I can dig it up, but I can't sell it or anything smile
dkcg
This may be cheaper than a new kenton splitter.
If you can find a used maudio 8x8 midi interface, you can use it as a midi splitter/patchbay. Only hassle is you need to program the routings in the computer.

Check your local craigslist for midi patchbays too, I've seen them up for $50 in CL.
CalvaryBand
I sold a Roland MPU-105 recently that does just that. I sold it for very cheap on eBay... It was a good piece, I just don't have many midi items these days.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1