Choices barebones / DIY Panel

Gear, Suggestions and Discussion.

Moderators: Kent, infradead, computer controlled, flight

rico loverde
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Choices barebones / DIY Panel

Post by rico loverde » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:41 pm

Heres a FOH Choices I am putting together. Got the panel ready and parts on. Wire it tomorrow. It will sit in my Skiff w Rene , Brains, and 2 x pressure points hence the Make Noise theme

think Im missing a push button sitch, there was only one in my package

works for Darkplace Manufacturing

MrBiggs
I see dead people

Post by MrBiggs » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:16 pm

Nice panel! How'd that come together?

I've had my Choices Barebones sitting 90% built for weeks. I can't get it to consistently work, especially the joystick. The connectors seem slightly flakey but I suspect it's more likely me.

Here's what I've been staring at. I need to get a little Hammond box to put it in.

•Music and stuff: Dance Robot Dance.
•Current contents:Modulargrid

rico loverde
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by rico loverde » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:19 pm

the panel is just a doepfer 14hp blank and sticker papaer, most likely will have epinasty or qu.one do a proper panel using the same design

was just looking at the build, seems pretty straight forward, if i come across anything odd ill post back

thanx for the comments!!!

MrBiggs
I see dead people

Post by MrBiggs » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:23 pm

The wiring diagram that Flight sent me had a few backwards parts, which was easy enough to fix. I get weird behavior with the scaling and offset of the X and Y. But this was my first DIY and it's been done in small fits, so I need to take an afternoon and just get it done.

Nice panel.

rico loverde
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by rico loverde » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:27 pm

do you happen to remember which are backwards on the specs? id like to avoid a headache if possible!!!!

MrBiggs
I see dead people

Post by MrBiggs » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:03 pm

Yeah, it was the out jacks. X Y TRIG GATE out. The green and red is reversed here on the top four jacks on this image. Ground should be on the bottom on the diagram.

rico loverde
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by rico loverde » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:05 pm

thank you so much, i wouldnt have caught that til way later...

rico loverde
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by rico loverde » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:34 pm

looking at mine now, seems the instructions have been updated on the new kits showing the ground on bottom of the jacks

flight
The Plague Bearer

Re: Choices barebones / DIY Panel

Post by flight » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:19 pm

rico loverde wrote:...
think Im missing a push button sitch, there was only one in my package
Nope, not missing one, it only comes with one since the second PB on the module is redundant (only there so there's a PB in the same position when the panel is rotated 180°).

Love the panel job!
MrBiggs wrote:Nice panel! How'd that come together?

I've had my Choices Barebones sitting 90% built for weeks. I can't get it to consistently work, especially the joystick. The connectors seem slightly flakey but I suspect it's more likely me.

What gauge wire are you using there? It looks heavier than 24AWG. Either way, let me know whenever there seems to be an issue with any of my products - no matter whose fault it might be. I'd rather get it diagnosed & working so you can enjoy it before playing the blame game. :)
~flight
flight(at)flightofharmony(dot)com
http://www.flightofharmony.com

MrBiggs
I see dead people

Post by MrBiggs » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:24 am

Hey flight. Not blaming, hope it didn't come out that way. It's 22 gauge so I know that's part of my prob. Furthermore I haven't had time to troubleshoot and find where are the issues. Im noob at this.
The only build issue I have is the joystick connectors, those tiny brown ones, are flakey. They won't stay connected and I may end up soldering the wires to the prongs.
If I run into any actual issue you'll be the first to know. My posting here is merely to help out the o.p.

B.

flight
The Plague Bearer

Post by flight » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:02 am

MrBiggs wrote:Hey flight. Not blaming, hope it didn't come out that way. It's 22 gauge so I know that's part of my prob. Furthermore I haven't had time to troubleshoot and find where are the issues. Im noob at this.
The only build issue I have is the joystick connectors, those tiny brown ones, are flakey. They won't stay connected and I may end up soldering the wires to the prongs.
Oops! No, I didn't mean to say you were blaming me. I saw that you were blaming yourself. What often happens is that a customer is so freaked out/ashamed that they screwed up their purchase that they put off contacting me until they are at their wit's end and have no other choice. Had they contacted me at the onset of their problem, I often could have had them up and running that day. That is what I meant. I like to get the problem solved first, then try to figure out if it's warranty or just RTFM.

As for 22 gauge wire: that can cause problems because it forces the contacts apart. Squeezing the sides back together (so they grip the wire tighter) with your fingers - no tools! - usually works to fix that.

As for the joystick connectors: Yeah, the connector doesn't like to sit very far down over the potentiometer pins. I actually cut a slot across the face of the connector so that it will seat further down and not wiggle loose.

I use a regular coping saw with a fine blade, but you can use an X-acto knife or the like. Be careful because bits of plastic like to fall into the connector and prevent the terminals from making contact.
If I run into any actual issue you'll be the first to know. My posting here is merely to help out the o.p.

B.
Sounds good, and thank you for helping out! I just hate to hear that somebody is having issues with something I made, so I always check if I can.
~flight
flight(at)flightofharmony(dot)com
http://www.flightofharmony.com

rico loverde
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by rico loverde » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:07 am

Awesome kit Flight, mines up and running and I LOVE it!! SOS next....

Return to “Flight of Harmony”