MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New Guitars relic-sized?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author New Guitars relic-sized?
SPUDBOY WILSON
Please explain seriously, i just don't get it why really great guitar builders build incredible instruments,
then cosmetically trash them, making them look "well or not so well traveled"
is it status, guitar juju, fashion? perhaps it's vanilla, chocolate, strawberry thing.
hdd
fender is just jealous that strats is more expensive on ebay than on shop.
Is there any other builder who are doing that ?

totally fashion move coming from the clothes lol

don't know who is buying that
Babaluma
it's just sad. anyone who pays more for a "relic" should have been shot at birth.
Kent
It's simply a matter of taste. I like worn-in instruments. They appear to have a history and story to them that isn't there in a polyurethane coated guitar. They also appear to be more 'approachable' to me. "Minty" (how I hate that word) guitars have little appeal to me and the more 'bling' that they have (PRS) the less likely I am to like it.
With that said, all of my guitars have earned their wear the old-fashioned way.

This applies to wood instruments mostly. I'm mostly indifferent on the electronic stuff.
Oldstench
It's stupid. People who buy them are stupid. If someone reads this thread who has bought one and is offended that I called you stupid, too bad - you are fucking stupid and need to have your money taken away and donated to some charity. d'oh!
Just me
Does this mean I can stop refinishing the 1976 Telecaster Deluxe I got that was stripped, then painted black with a rattle can and then abused for a decade? I kinda wanted it to look like it did when it came from the factory 34 years ago, not like it's been beaten over the road for 3 decades.
SPUDBOY WILSON
i was cruising around looking for Custom Tele's for example and found lots of guitar makers that offered the service, not just gibson and fender.
which may possibly beg the question,
"ARE YOU CUSTOMIZED OR READY MADE, UH-HUH".

P.T. Barnum makes a point.

Teles are as follows:
Standard body and neck -- $1299 Premium body -- $1599

Premium body and neck -- $1799 Relic body and neck -- $1999
and
Standard aging levels are light, medium and heavy. Extra-heavy aging is available for additional charge. We do not make new looking guitars.
Danotranto
I bought a cheap xavier to relic for fun

i went at it with a belt sander, pcb etching solution and muriatic acid

it rawks

SPUDBOY WILSON
Danotranto wrote:
I bought a cheap xavier to relic for fun

i went at it with a belt sander, pcb etching solution and muriatic acid

it rawks

I covet thy amps, big time we're not worthy
mr big
this raises an interesting point. do people who buy these guitars protect them, to preserve the 'original' relic look? or is it license to relax?
Kent
Why would anyone care how people choose to spend their discretionary income? Y'all do realize that you are guilty of the exact same "value is in the eye of the beholder" offense in some way, right?

Purple Frac Racks? Come on now! Mr. Green lol
CursedFrogurt
Relic'd guitars are bullshit. They're not authentic enough. If you want me to believe your guitar is really that old, all of the body routings need to reek of years of marijuana storage. If Fender could deliver that level of quality new from the factory, I'd buy a dozen!
Christopher Winkels
I don't like them, but then I don't like "antiqued" furniture (complete with deliberately added nicks, dents, scuff and wear patches, worm holes, etc). But as Kent has pointed out, it's not my business how people spend their money.

On the other hand, I think it's a legitimate worry that persons of low ethical standards might try to pass a relic repro off as a "vintage" piece to the unsuspecting consumer down the line.
3vcos
moar pix of your guitar please@!
Danotranto
SPUDBOY WILSON

stk
Danotranto wrote:

Hey that Bigsby'd Goldtop looks just like mine love (except mine is an old ibanez, and has been well and truly "relic'd" the old-fashioned, thrown across the stage too many times, way.)
Danotranto
mines a lowly epiphone, but I love it anyways
3vcos
Thanks.

So how well does the Xaviere play? I'm just about ready to get one of those. thanks.

Danotranto wrote:
Danotranto
I cant really remember stock, I changed the neck to a warmoth right off the bat

action is pretty high but I kind of like it on this guitar, makes bends much easier (I'd have to change out the bridge to make it any lower as this on is as low as it goes and its still really high) pickups are pretty nice, not like fender jazzmaster pickups but straight up P90s which are pretty hot.

Fun guitar for stomping around with and playing heavy sludge
SPUDBOY WILSON
another Mcswain guitar
SPUDBOY WILSON
Kent wrote:
Why would anyone care how people choose to spend their discretionary income? Y'all do realize that you are guilty of the exact same "value is in the eye of the beholder" offense in some way, right?

Purple Frac Racks? Come on now! Mr. Green lol

this is true, your observation. I bought a great ash body Mexican made Tele with a natural finish, and changed the pick ups to Dimarzio' hum cancelling
P.U.'s . So yah, guilty as charged. the Steve Dude set it up at the shop for slide playing and it is a peach.
and I could buy a Joe Stummer Tele , with Revolution Rock engraved on the neck plate nanners It's peanut butter jelly time! Rockin' Banana! for twice the price after.
what I got was the Ash Tele as seen and a Digitech GSP 1101 and the Dimarzio P.U.'s

a choice of how discretionary income can be used , I'm happy with my decision

zerosum
My new guitar is going to be like staring into a mirror ball woah
with a special no wood at all finish
SPUDBOY WILSON
zerosum wrote:
My new guitar is going to be like staring into a mirror ball woah
with a special no wood at all finish

It would seem that King Buzzo has switched his signiture Les Paul for an E.G.C all aluminum guitar. Steve Alibini a guitarist that favors Travis Bean guitars, out of production and costly to aquire has been using E.G.C. guitars.
one no wood guitar finish coming up.
This is one of many models the Electrical Guitar Company makes.
http://www.electricalguitarcompany.com/index.php/gallery/EGC-Custom/fu seaction/gallery.87d16beb.htm

ericmichael
Kent wrote:
It's simply a matter of taste. I like worn-in instruments. They appear to have a history and story to them that isn't there in a polyurethane coated guitar.

I think thats the hitch, I like old guitars that look old just fine but the appearance of a history and actually having a history is totally different. Its a fabricated history, fashion.

My guitars might look beat up because I play them and tour with them but I would never alter them to look cosmetically older than they are.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2