MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Spring Reverb pedal recommendations?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author Spring Reverb pedal recommendations?
felix
I'm on the lookout for a good (ie, "realistic") spring reverb, preferably in pedal form (the Vermona spring reverb box looks cool, but pricey and big).

So far the Holy Grail from EH looks to be a standout although the new '65 Fender Deluxe pedal from Boss looks interesting (I have heard good things about how close the spring sounds to the real amp and it has amp modeling which could be handy).

There's also offerings from Line 6 (Verbzilla) and others, but I don't really know if those will be up-to-snuff.

Any recommendations or personal experience with any of these or others I overlooked is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Muff Wiggler
i have a holier grail - love it! think it's amazing, however I fried it by plugging my modular into it. stinkin' digital lol

may actually buy another though - great pedal

Synthesizers Dot Com has a 'true' spring reverb module for like $115 or something like that, including the reverb tank

it runs off the same +/-15v that Blacet uses - different power connector, however you could make an adapter or buy one for like $5

also the PCB in that module is small enough to easily re-mount behind a frac-sized panel

something to think about
zerosum
I remember when I had this "looking for a reverb" moment, I blogged it.

You have a Euro rack setup, maybe check out the Doepfer A199.

Im going with the Neural Agonizer.

The Furman RV-1 looks suitable for a rack solution.
zerosum
Quote:
however I fried it by plugging my modular into it. stinkin' digital

What does a fried reverb sound like? :shock: grin

How did you fry it?

If mike can stick a TX-2 and a TX-1 in a holy grail and not fry it(or maybe he did) how did you fry it?
Muff Wiggler
zerosum wrote:
Quote:
however I fried it by plugging my modular into it. stinkin' digital

What does a fried reverb sound like? :shock: grin

How did you fry it?

If mike can stick a TX-2 and a TX-1 in a holy grail and not fry it(or maybe he did) how did you fry it?

I simply plugged the output of a blacet VCA into it, and it worked for a while, then it just stopped working.

What does it sound like? Like something that doesn't work at all anymore lol it doesn't make a sound at all - unless of course its in bypass
felix
zerosum wrote:

Ah ha! I was actually looking for this post. I remember reading way back when, but couldn't remember from where. grin

Muff Wiggler wrote:
I simply plugged the output of a blacet VCA into it, and it worked for a while, then it just stopped working.

Wow really!? Just normal audio put from the modular? That's a bit disconcerting...

I found the Holiest Grail which looks quite intriguing, I particularly like the dry/spring/verb mixing capabilities. Midi control/preset selection is cool too; might not use it very much but it's nice it's there. The black is super cool looking too.

I looked into the Doepfer spring verb, but even though CV control isn't that important on this for me, I would prefer to have it in pedal form, even if it's a larger size pedal like the EH ones. Plus, I'd rather save that space in modular for something more modular related. It would be cool to have a real spring though, so you can bang it and get that lovely loud clang! grin
Muff Wiggler
felix wrote:
zerosum wrote:

Ah ha! I was actually looking for this post. I remember reading way back when, but couldn't remember from where. grin

Muff Wiggler wrote:

Wow really!? Just normal audio put from the modular? That's a bit disconcerting...

I found the Holiest Grail which looks quite intriguing, I particularly like the dry/spring/verb mixing capabilities. Midi control/preset selection is cool too; might not use it very much but it's nice it's there. The black is super cool looking too.

I looked into the Doepfer spring verb, but even though CV control isn't that important on this for me, I would prefer to have it in pedal form, even if it's a larger size pedal like the EH ones. Plus, I'd rather save that space in modular for something more modular related. It would be cool to have a real spring though, so you can bang it and get that lovely loud clang! grin

The vermona one - spring thing or realverb or something like that (surfing on my phone, too much of a hassle to check at the moment) - is definately a contender for what you are after. A little pricey but it is a big pedal, has a real spring and even a pad to kick it to get that great crash 8)

I'm not surprised that I killed my holier grail. Modular signals are 10v p-p, while guitar pedals and other stuff designed for instrument level is expecting well under one volt. Don't think you can just be plugging your modular into outboard stuff! Big mistake - I knew I was taking a chance and I'm not surprised at the outcome.

Hell, a modular signal is hotter than a LINE level signal, let alone an instrument level signal.

You really need proper interface modules - an amp or something like a Blacet I/O for boosting external signals coming INTO the modular is needed - but at least you aren't risking damaging gear if you don't do this.

On the other hand, going OUT from the modular to external stuff (don't forget to boost it again if you bring it back to the modular!) you ARE risking your gear, big time. Cyndustries makes an "anything module" designed to downgrade modular signals going out, and boost them going back in. Its crazy overpriced when you stop to realize that it consists of a simple pair of Ken Stone/CGS boards that are like $5 apiece. I don't remember what Ken calls them
(I have a few of them, so far unfinished), Stomp Box Interface or something like that, but they are on his website.

One is for downgrading modular signals and includes a recovery amp, this is designed to let you use a stompbox as a module. The other board is the opposite, and allows you to use a module as a stompbox.

Anyway, be aware of the different signal levels in your studio - you probably have at least 3, and hot signals will kill gear that's not designed for it.

I have a Korg DTR 2000 rackmount tuner which I use all the time with my modular. Really really needed one, but was way paranoid. Korg was totally unable to tell me what level signal it could handle, and I tried hard and spoke to a lot of people there, even engineers. No answer but they all were very adamant that 10v would kill the product. So I used it for a long time just with a passive atten in front of it (from the blacet multi/atten) to remove most of the gain. Eventually I heard from Sam Ecoff who has used the same tuner daily with his modular for a few years - and had never considered signal level nor tried to attenuate his - and he never had a problem. So I stopped trimming the signal going to the Korg - but its a stupid thing to do and I'm sure will one day toast my tuner!
Muff Wiggler
ah, here you go, Vermona has RetroVerb, i was confusing it with something else that has a kickplate, I think maybe Danelectro made it?

Anyway, RetroVerb is an all-analog spring reverb. no kickplate but it does have a 'crash button' to achieve the same effect

http://www.vermona.com/en/produkte/retroverb/retroverb.html

I've never used Vermona gear, however they have an excellent reputation, and I've heard from people I trust highly that it is very very good equipment
felix
Yikes! I knew the outputs were pretty hot, but not that hot. I think I'm taking a volt-meter to the modular tonight and checking to see what's coming out of it. Currently I just go from the Doepfer VCA (or sometimes just the filter when I'm doing drones) and into a multiple module that has a 1/4" jack as well as the 1/8" jacks. The Doepfer VCA does have a master out attenuator, but it's usually most of the way up. Thanks for the heads up!

I think I'll take another look at the RetroVerb (a colleague has a few Vermona pieces which he says are "top-notch"), the size is a little bigger than I would prefer, but mainly it's the price that gives me pause the most. For that price, I could snag an RE-201 on eBay.
Kwote
this is what i role with http://www.vanamps.com/solemate.htm

pedal format cheaper and more straight to the point. the vermona has too many extras that i'd rather have my modular take care of.

at this point it's the only effect i want in pedal format. sounds great! no problems running modular signals into it either.

felix
Ooh, now that is cool, and pretty much perfect for what I would like: Pedal-form, CV not necessary.

Thanks Kwote! As these hipity-hop kids say today, "good looking out" wink
Kwote
felix wrote:
Ooh, now that is cool, and pretty much perfect for what I would like: Pedal-form, CV not necessary.

Thanks Kwote! As these hipity-hop kids say today, "good looking out" wink

haha. glad i could help. the other advantage is when i finally can buy an amp i can get the most stripped down straight forward amp possible since i can get my verb from the pedal and vibrato etc. from my modules.

shit'll save me money. all i want from an amp at this point is loud and clean.

the only thing i will warn you is there's no real wet dry so the signal is effected frequency wise even if you have the verb settings all the way off. kinda sucks out a little of the lower frequencies but with a little eq it's no big deal.

unless of course you run your original signal and your effected signal to different channels like i do. then you really don't have any reason not to get the sole-mate.
Muff Wiggler
very cool, i didn't know about that - awesome! where can I get one?
Kwote
http://analogman.com/reverbam.htm

might've gone up in price since i ordered mine cuz i don't remember paying $285.00

but i'm super hazy on that purchase lol

you have to scroll down for the sole-mate. the reverbamate has two outputs but since i run my stuff through a mixer i didn't really need all that. plus at the time i think the sole-mate was cheaper. now it looks like they're the same price.
Kwote
might also wanna check up on these links if analogman.com doesn't pan out:

http://www.vanamps.com/dealers.htm

but i found analogman to be the most trustworthy/reliable.
Muff Wiggler
awesome, thanks! I've ordered from Analogman before, love those guys

this is great, exactly what I've been after!

thanks
shamann
Well, given the currency, it'll be cheaper to get from the US, but in case you wait until the currency tanks, Boutique Tone in Montreal lists them:

http://www.boutiquetone.com/index.php?version=index_eng&page=mini_desc ription&product_category_id=562
Kent
Hey Felix,

If size & transportability aren't issues for you, then you may want to consider an AKG spring reverb. There is one in ebay right now. Either the BX-20 or BX-10 could be right for you.

160237022697 for the BX-10 that is still available
190218228456 for the BX-20 that sold, but you can check out the description and photos.

I've got a Furman RV-1 which is 'The Shitâ„¢'. I've loaned it to other engineers about town and they all dig it & it ends up on many things in a mix. Some have even done Impulse Responses of it.

I've also got an incredibly rare we're not worthy Quad-Eight Spring Reverb. You'll never find one; but I thought I'd through it out there... mostly to gloat! thumbs up
felix
Thanks Kent!

not that I don't already have enough unfinished projects, but I think I'm going to put one together myself, just using standard amp replacement parts.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1