MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Do I really want a Dual Bissell?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Do I really want a Dual Bissell?
jonkull
I've had one of these things on pre-order for a while and I'm starting to wonder how useful it will really be. Portamento/glide stuff and siren noises aside what's this thing good for?
dougcl
Hi Jon, you can use it with two VCLFOs to create chaotic sequences. You can use it with a PLL to smooth out the jittery PLL comp and LPF outputs. In general, you can derive a CV signal from an existing CV signal and have two related signals that aren't merely transposed, delayed, attenuated, or inverted. I'm not sure what this particular module will do for you beyond what the other available slew modules will do.
jonkull
Hmmm. Maybe I'll wait for it to ship and try it out. I was going to cancel it and get something like a Model 17 or Model 13...
Muff Wiggler
hey if you don't groove on it just sell it to me 8)
Glitchmachines
jonkull wrote:
I've had one of these things on pre-order for a while and I'm starting to wonder how useful it will really be. Portamento/glide stuff and siren noises aside what's this thing good for?

I recall asking myself the same question about a month ago...

...I ended up canceling the Pre-Order.
BananaPlug
Well, it's another building block. If you have one around you'll think of things to do with it.

You can make a gate/trigger delay if you have another module which can act as a comparator (any logic module for example). The nice rectangular pulse goes into the Bissel and comes out as a lump. Then the next module squares it up again. Too much smoothing or too short a pulse and the peak of the lump falls short of the threshold for squaring up. That can also be useful.

You can fake having two envelopes. For instance different envelops for amplitude and filter modulation; one sharp, the other less so.
Cybananna
I have one and I've had it out of my system, but it keeps making it's way back in. I will think "I really don't need this and I can put something else in that space." Then shortly after, I'll think, " where's that Bissell, I need that Bissell" and back in it goes. Now it stays in my case. I don't need it all the time, but I've realized I need it.
revtor
a lag is one of the basics that you will use to help get the patch sounding how you want. A fine-tuning type of thing in some cases, but one as versatile as the bissel will become the core of many patches too..

get it you can always sell it

~Steve
jonkull
I guess I'll just wait and see how useful it is. I can always sell it. My issue is that I'll have to sacrifice an A140 to fit the Bissell in my rack. I'm not sure which one's usefulness outweighs the other. I could probably pick up an ELF ADSR to compensate for the missing A140 but that's more money spent.
GCF
jonkull wrote:
I could probably pick up an ELF ADSR to compensate for the missing A140 but that's more money spent.

You don't need to worry about purchasing the M38 for a while. I, as well as many others, had some problems with how it was operating, so Peter is redesigning the circuit to be more what the users wanted. My problem was actually with it not triggering, but I think my repair is waiting for the circuit change. Either way, the module is on hold until Peter decides on what is best for the circuit.
felix
I really like mine, I use it often for slightly smoothing out the Stepped Ouput of the M24 (the Smooth out of the M24 isn't the same result).

Also, I use it a lot as an "asymmetrical filter", particularly on square wave audio rate modulation sources.

The variable Linear/Exp response is very cool. Sometimes quite subtle, but it can let you dial in just the right curve to the lag response. I find some mix between the two (about 50/50) to be my general use zone.

Added bonus is that there's two in a 10HP space.

The only thing that would get me to give up the Dual Bissell would be another module that could do the same thing, but with CV control over at least the rise/fall. AFAIK, the only thing that fits the bill is the VCS in euro/frac (if you can find one) and the DSG in Serge.
sandyb
felix wrote:

The only thing that would get me to give up the Dual Bissell would be another module that could do the same thing, but with CV control over at least the rise/fall. AFAIK, the only thing that fits the bill is the VCS in euro/frac (if you can find one) and the DSG in Serge.

modcan's dual lfo does this as well although you have to choose whether you have cv control over either rise, fall or rise/fall together - you can't do rise and fall independently.

sandy
kidtesla
one can not have too many dualBissels love
they're great for shaping notes/psuedo_envelopes/etc...
also delayed cv tracking(following) to 'fatten' filter_oscillator interaction
Cat-A-Tonic
The Bissel Lag PCB is available from CGS if you wanna go the DIY route.

I think Muff wrote an explanation somewhere on here about how the Blacet EG1 can be used as a slew/lag and it has independent VC of Attack and Decay (rise and fall).
Perhaps other VC envelopes can be used in this way as well...?
D/A A/D
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:

Perhaps other VC envelopes can be used in this way as well...?

VCS baby!
felix
sandyb wrote:
felix wrote:

modcan's dual lfo does this as well although you have to choose whether you have cv control over either rise, fall or rise/fall together - you can't do rise and fall independently.

sandy

oooh neat! That's pretty much how it works with the Serge DSG, you have either rise, fall, or both as options for CV control.
REwire
The closest thing we have available in Euro to that Modcan or Serge DSG is the Plan-B Model 10 but that can't do slew. I should have gotten a VCS when they were available. I never really understood it at the time.
felix
REwire wrote:
I should have gotten a VCS when they were available. I never really understood it at the time.

Same here!! In fact I *just* posted more or less the same response in the M10 vs VCS thread.
D/A A/D
Man, I need to work on my ModCan lust... Seriously.
sandyb
D/A A/D wrote:

lol - working on modcan lust is easy Alex, just give Bruce a call! it's coughing up the $$ that makes it difficult

sandy
D/A A/D
sandyb wrote:
D/A A/D wrote:

lol - working on modcan lust is easy Alex, just give Bruce a call! it's coughing up the $$ that makes it difficult

sandy

Considering that my ass is hella broke and officially in debt thanks to xmas and my euro rack addiction, its a way WAY off... I need to pony up and buy a fucking rack and psu for my miniwave. When the CC is payed off... very frustrating
jonkull
D/A A/D wrote:
Considering that my ass is hella broke and officially in debt thanks to xmas and my euro rack addiction

Man, I know how that feels.
brandon daniel
felix wrote:

oooh neat! That's pretty much how it works with the Serge DSG, you have either rise, fall, or both as options for CV control.

Except that on the euro VCS you actually have separate inputs for each of those options. For instance, just the other day I had a patch running where I used the rise-fall inputs from two different CV sources (actually two rows of the 155 set to a two step length sequence) to create a sound that alternated between slow attack/instant decay and instant attack/slow decay.
Chuck E. Jesus
anyone have a clue if the VCS is ever going to be made again?
D/A A/D
ross g wrote:
anyone have a clue if the VCS is ever going to be made again?

The word on the grapevine is yes.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2