MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Serge Gator on the way...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Serge Gator on the way...
carbon111
I'm extremely jazzed as I Just mailed of a check off to STS for a Gator M-odule! I'm very exited to pair this up with my Creature and have a "portable" System I can drag around with me...something compact that won't be tied permanently to the three panels in the studio. grin grin grin

I'll post a review after it arrives and I've had a chance to spend some time with it!

And, BTW, HAPPY NEW YEAR people!
Thanks for making me feel so welcome on this forum!
D/A A/D
Thanks for being here man! I can't wait to hear what you can do with this and your Creature!

SlayerBadger!
felix
Awesome!! SlayerBadger! Congrats!

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the two together as I'm contemplating the same pairing myself.

Quote:
And, BTW, HAPPY NEW YEAR people!
Thanks for making me feel so welcome on this forum!

No problem! And a Happy New Year to you as well! w00t
carbon111
D/A A/D wrote:
Thanks for being here man! I can't wait to hear what you can do with this and your Creature!

Thanks! I'm planning on a companion article to this one: http://www.carbon111.com/creature.html

...but I'll review its use with the creature as its a bit limited for audio-only stuff. The Gator looks to be more of a "rhythmic beast". wink
carbon111
felix wrote:

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the two together as I'm contemplating the same pairing myself.

Good choice but do keep in mind the TGO only tracks 1V/Oct a little shy of three octaves. If you're using other modules or a sequencer as a pitch CV source, no problems but if you'll be using a "standard" 1V/Oct keyboard controller, something with a NTO or a PCO would be better suited.

Quote:
And a Happy New Year to you as well! w00t

w00t SlayerBadger! w00t SlayerBadger! w00t SlayerBadger!
parasitk
Awesome, congratulations!

Psyched to hear more about it from you w00t
felix
carbon111 wrote:
felix wrote:

Good choice but do keep in mind the TGO only tracks 1V/Oct a little shy of three octaves. If you're using other modules or a sequencer as a pitch CV source, no problems but if you'll be using a "standard" 1V/Oct keyboard controller, something with a NTO or a PCO would be better suited.

No worries there, until I have the TKB, the 1v/Oct inputs won't likely be used unless I want the VCO and the Filter to track together easily.
Cybananna
I'm looking forward to hearing about it too. the M-Class may be my only way in to any serge (which i'm secretly thing about in the next year or two). hyper
JohnLRice
SWEET!!!! That's exciting! Trampoline The only thing better than new cool gear is . . . uuhhhmmm . . .the is NOTHING cooler than new cool gear!!!! hyper

I'm thinking that the 2009 PNW Synth Meet is going to kick ass!
neandrewthal
Excellent! The n comp looks intriguing and every modular should have at least 2 pulse divider/boolean logics. My 1/4" jack CGS version is almost singlehandedly responsible for giving me banana envy d'oh! You'll have a blast daisy-chaining those triggers around.
Peake
That's a powerful set of modules...congrats!
Kwote
carbon111 wrote:
w00t SlayerBadger! w00t SlayerBadger! w00t SlayerBadger!
carbon111
...This forum has the best emoticons. Ever. we're not worthy

Bananallama!
JohnLRice
carbon111 wrote:

Bananallama!

Agreed! MY ASS IS BLEEDING

Although, sorry to say, electro-music.com gives us some stiffy competition. There has been more than once here that I could of used a couple of their emoticons, the 'barf' ones in particular! razz
wetterberg
JohnLRice wrote:
carbon111 wrote:

Bananallama!

Agreed! MY ASS IS BLEEDING

Although, sorry to say, electro-music.com gives us some stiffy competition. There has been more than once here that I could of used a couple of their emoticons, the 'barf' ones in particular! razz
(quoted in its entirety for the emoticons, hehe)

I have a lil' list of emoticon links sitting here, in case I ever need one of the outside ones wink
panda30y
Been using your page as a place for researching serge systems for a few months now, and I'm excited to hear you're getting your Gator.

Can't wait to hear demos of it paired with the creature, especially since that was the first M-odule Rex suggested I purchase after the Creature, and for the fact there are no demos I can find of the two M-odules together.

Enjoy!
chimologic
My favorite thing so far in the Gator (got it in September) besides the extra oscillator/multiple function set is the stepped scale generator hidden right there in the n Comparator, is like having a weird pre-scaled mini sequencer that can be voltage controlled.

Pulse divider is always fun to, but already had one of those on my eurorack. though the serge is a little neater cause of the odd divisions....
carbon111
I got the Gator on monday but haven't had any time with it yet. I've got a bad sinus infection and I've been laid up in bed today. Hopefully I'll feel a little better tomorrow...

Best Regards, James
--
http://www.carbon111.com
panda30y
chimologic wrote:
My favorite thing so far in the Gator (got it in September) besides the extra oscillator/multiple function set is the stepped scale generator hidden right there in the n Comparator, is like having a weird pre-scaled mini sequencer that can be voltage controlled.

Pulse divider is always fun to, but already had one of those on my eurorack. though the serge is a little neater cause of the odd divisions....

I was really intrigued by the pulse divider and the boolean logic gates, but I've never fully understood the n Comparator. I'll have to read up a bit more on that.
Cat-A-Tonic
I believe the Pulse Divider & Boolean Logic sections of the Gator
are identical to those in the CGS PCBs
which are available as an assembled Frac module from Metalbox.
This is a big SlayerBadger! for those of us who can't afford real Serge.
mono-poly
Great addition !
Cat-A-Tonic
So are the VC TimeGen Clock and VC TimeGen Oscillator close cousins?
I'd like to know more about these 2.
chimologic
Yeah they are. They are cousins but lots of differences though and they do not sound the same,

the right side of the TimeGen Clock won't self cycle which just a switch flip, has to be triggered with something. It also has no inputs. and is guess the left side is more of a pulse wave.

also on the left side of the TimeGen clock you can VC control either the rise,fall or both.

The ÷ N COMPARATOR From the Serge spreadsheet:

The ÷ N COMPARATOR (NCOM) consists of two sections: a comparator and a voltage-controlled pulse divider. The divider section outputs a pulse once every “N” comparator pulse, where “N” is a number from 1 to 31, settable with a control voltage at the divider's VC input (or manually via the divider's control knob). Additionally, the Divider outputs a staircase wave with “N” steps. This will produce whole-tone steps when plugged into the 1 V/Oct input of a VCO.

This module has two distinct areas of use (in addition to the normal functions of the comparator):

• For audio frequencies, the divider can be set to output sub-divided frequencies with digital precision. Output frequency depends on “N”. If “N”=2,3,4, etc., the output frequencies will be an octave, an octave and a fifth. or two octaves below the input, repectively. Because “N”is voltage controllable, arpeggios and various melodies can easily be programmed. The nature of this type of division (integer division), results in frequencies that fall along the sub-harmonic series, a series that has great tonal charm.

• For sub-audio frequencies, the divider acts like a counter, outputting a pulse only after “N” number of input pulses. Input pulses can be fairly random, or regular. This capability is especially powerful for determining tempos and rhythmic patterns when using several sequencers (especially if the “N” vc input is taken from one of a sequencer's rows of controls). In a more random situation, using a microphone preamp/detector as input. the divider might be set to count how many times a sound of a certain loudness will have occured, and be set to trigger an event upon reaching the count. Since the count can be made variable (from 1 to 31), fairly complex and subtle inter-actions can be generated.
HexEnduction
Anyone ready to kiss and tell about the BLOG and PDIV? Or about using a Gator with the Creature or Sequencers? seriously, i just don't get it

For some reason this m-odule seems really intimidating.
carbon111
I finally have had enough quality time with the newcomer to make an assesment. It's fantastic!

The Gator has been a great pairing for my Creature! It's a rhythmic beast for sure and nicely compliments the other.

I've been using this pair as a "portable mini system" and have just recently finished a piece created with these two M-odules alone. It will be included on Lost Terrain when I release it, hopefully before May.

I'll try to speak in more detail towards the use of the Gator on my Serge website soon.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2