MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Planning out a "3u + 1/3" Euro system
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Planning out a "3u + 1/3" Euro system
Leisure Cove
I finally bit the bullet and picked up a 3u rack (thanks D/A A/D! SlayerBadger! ). I hope to fill it by the end of 2009 with the following:

(Pretend the three modules on the top are in a Doepfer Mini Case, sitting on top of the rack.)

Not pictured: 2 Frostwave boxes (Resonator and Blue Ringer), a Voice of Saturn sequencer and a passive utility box, with two mults, two 1/4" --> 1/8" converters and two attenuators.

I know the A-140 isn't the sexiest thing in the world, but I've already got one and like it fine enough.

That said, what would you all change, and what would you swap for what? Aside from the A-140, -132-3, -119, one of the ELF LFOs and the cases, none of this has been purchased. Still very much in the planning stages over here!

Thanks! And Happy New Year everybody! w00t
sgnhh
No VCOs? What's your goal with the modular?
Leisure Cove
I figured I could use the ELF LFOs and/or the filters to generate tones. My hope is to have a versatile system for creating both drones and (chaotic) rhythmic patterns. "Banjo" sounds, in other words hihi
sandyb
Leisure Cove wrote:
I figured I could use the ELF LFOs and/or the filters to generate tones. My hope is to have a versatile system for creating both drones and (chaotic) rhythmic patterns. "Banjo" sounds, in other words hihi

in that case i think i'd ditch the quantizer and doepfer adsr replacing them with a plan B model 10 to go along with the model 13

edit : apologies - i see you've got the doepfer adsr already. maybe you don't need the plan b elf one then.

sandy
MrDys
You have a lot of VCAs. I'd ditch the Cwejman or the Doepfer.

In its stead, (based on what you said your goals are), I'd replace it with a more heavy duty timbral modifier such as a Wave Multiplier or a Saw Animator.

I'd also look into an Analogue Solutions SH-NZ. You can't get more chaotic than noise + sample & hold.
felix
I second the recommendation of the M10. If you are not triggering from a keyboard controller or some manuall button, ADSRs can be more trouble than they are worth since they depending on the falling edge of the gate input. With an EG like the M10, you just need a rising edge. The MKII models retrigger now, if you want that (otherwise, search out a MKI).

Also, unless you have 1v/Oct tracking devices (I've heard that the ELF LFOs don't track so hot) then the quantizer is more or less useless. You could ditch that and the ELF ADSR and have just the right amount of space for the M10.

Another nice benefit of the M10 is you get more gate/trigger outputs from the EOC and EOA outputs. Perfect for use in the logic module and trigger other EGs.
REwire
MrDys wrote:
You have a lot of VCAs. I'd ditch the Cwejman or the Doepfer..

Don't ditch the Cwejman, it's your only mixer so far to combine the LFO's to mix or VC if you want.

All ELF's as LFO's you definitely won't be playing any tuned material.
D/A A/D
REwire wrote:

I have been rocking mine up with some 1V/O action and they seem fine to me...

I went with the same kinda idea for my rig, someday when I get another case I plan to buy 2 dedicated oscillators. But by the time that happens it may be some Serge action.
attacksustain
My first thought was, why you chose 3 elf LFOs over say, the doepfer quad lfo.

The doepfer would be a lot more cost effective (though it's 2HP more, but you get an extra LFO).
On the flipside, the ELFs (elves?) give you sync, and VC, which might be more compelling than saving $, and losing some HP.
Whether it's $480 vs $145 worth of benefit depends on how much you need those extra features I guess.

There's also the forthcoming http://www.doepfer.de/a1434.htm quad VCLFO at 20HP with roughly the same featureset as 4 ELF LFOs. (no sync, but it does have some extra outputs).
REwire
D/A A/D wrote:
REwire wrote:

I suppose it works sort of, but flip the waveform switch and they go off. Also, need a micrometer to find that 1v/oct sweet spot on the CV dial.

attacksustain wrote:

The ELF LFO's also go into super high audio rates and that makes them amazing for FM duties. The sound is almost identical to the Model 15 so I would never get a Doepfer or any other LFO for audio.
dkcg
REwire wrote:
D/A A/D wrote:
REwire wrote:

I suppose it works sort of, but flip the waveform switch and they go off. Also, need a micrometer to find that 1v/oct sweet spot on the CV dial.

attacksustain wrote:

The ELF LFO's also go into super high audio rates and that makes them amazing for FM duties. The sound is almost identical to the Model 15 so I would never get a Doepfer or any other LFO for audio.

I could have sworn I read somewhere that both oscillators have the same triangle core...
D/A A/D
dkcg wrote:

I could have sworn I read somewhere that both oscillators have the same triangle core...

That is because they do...
Leisure Cove
Thanks for all of the advice! I see a Model 10 in my future...
D/A A/D
Leisure Cove wrote:

All bitchery aside, I do love my m10 a whole fucking lot. Its a great fucking envelope and lfo.
dkcg
D/A A/D wrote:
Leisure Cove wrote:

All bitchery aside, I do love my m10 a whole fucking lot. Its a great fucking envelope and lfo.

Same here. It's my favorite env gen, I use my M10s way more often than even the cwejman adsr. The LFO mode/self-cycling is great. All env gens should have a EOC out to retrigger themselves or anything else.
felix
dkcg wrote:
The LFO mode/self-cycling is great. All env gens should have a EOC out to retrigger themselves or anything else.

It is, I just wished the EOC worked when "LFO mode" is switched. This usually doesn't present too much of a workflow problem, but it would be nice if it still pulsed.
dkcg
felix wrote:
dkcg wrote:
The LFO mode/self-cycling is great. All env gens should have a EOC out to retrigger themselves or anything else.

It is, I just wished the EOC worked when "LFO mode" is switched. This usually doesn't present too much of a workflow problem, but it would be nice if it still pulsed.

I know what you mean...I end up using EOA more than EOC. But you could always mult it out into the triple time too. which is the next step in most my patches lately. smile
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1