MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Doepfer lpg vs Plan B+other advice
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Doepfer lpg vs Plan B+other advice
Suburban Bather
Ok, I'm really close to pulling the trigger on ordering this http://www.analoguehaven.com/doepfer/a100diy1/ and building a case for it. All of these demos with lpg's in them are making me go Bop! Other than Cynthia(at this point that option does not count) or DIY, there is no other option than to go Serge, Buchla, or Euro(I think I'll go Euro) Oh, in case anyone reading this does not know, I have a 5U + Moogerfooger system.

Is there any difference between two Doepfer lpg's and one m13? I ask because I'm afraid to order anything by Plan B due to build quality issues.

Also, does anyone have any experience with the following modules-
http://www.analoguehaven.com/doepfer/a101-1/
http://www.analoguehaven.com/doepfer/a101-3/
http://www.analoguehaven.com/doepfer/a101-9/ especially this module. Only because I still don't understand exactly what this module does. To me, its seems like a vactrol based CV processor. I understand the WoW factor of vactrols for audio, but otherwise I'm completely lost.

So yeah, my Euro system will be based on vactrol modules and I'm also interested in the Harvestman, Livewire, Tiptop audio, Makenoise(if the Qmmg becomes available again), and some other Doepfer modules mostly for audio and cv processing. I'm pretty much covered on standard modules with my current set up, but one or two more in Euro format won't hurt.

HAPPY NEW YEAR BITCHES!!!!!!!!! Guinness ftw!
MrDys
Suburban Bather wrote:

http://www.analoguehaven.com/doepfer/a101-9/ especially this module. Only because I still don't understand exactly what this module does. To me, its seems like a vactrol based CV processor. I understand the WoW factor of vactrols for audio, but otherwise I'm completely lost.

It doesn't actually do anything by itself. It's for if you have a module that for whatever reason has a knob to modify a parameter, but does not also have a CV in for that parameter. By soldering a bunch of crap between the module and the A101-9, it gives you the ability to CV control whatever that knob does normally.
pristak
I really wouldn't be so worried about ordering from Plan B, but that is up to you.
REwire
I have two Model 13s and the QMMG (Friday will be 2) and as Vactrol VCA's go, they both are pretty much similar in their ringing. The QMMG ups it though with HP filters and CV resonance that makes it a gnarly VCA/Filter combo. The Doepfer A-101-2 didn't ring much at all. As far as the other Vactrol Doepfers, I hear the Phaser is cool but I'd take the Plan-B Model 12 over any Vactrol filter.
Roycie Roller
Suburban Bather wrote:

HAPPY NEW YEAR BITCHES!!!!!!!!! Guinness ftw!

Who you callin' bitch, bitch? goatse.cx hihi
I just read that the QMMG was back in stock at AH. If i didn't have my own 28x vactrolized levitating infinite-mode filtration device to build, i'd go for the QMMG. we're not worthy
dougcl
GET THE QMMG BECAUSE IT WINS.

Also, consider not getting the DIY #1. Take a look at all the ideas under the "oh snap" thread here somewhere. Talk to jonkull about the DIY #1 before you buy.

Doug
dougcl
REwire wrote:
I have two Model 13s and the QMMG (Friday will be 2)

Two (or more) would be awesome. Wish I had room. How about 6U of QMMGs?
Cybananna
I liked the sound of the Plan B LPG better than Doepfer. The Plan B rings more to my taste.

I wouldn't worry about ordering from Plan B either. I've ordered several in the past and have plans to order more.

Plan B is great stuff.
Scaff
+1 for the plan B LPG. I haven`t tried the QMMG but beside my VCS and the VCO-2RM the LPG is my love! love
Chuck E. Jesus
MrDys wrote:
By soldering a bunch of crap between the module and the A101-9, it gives you the ability to CV control whatever that knob does normally.

lol all you have to do is put a jack in parallel to the pot...i have the mod, it works fine...i already had non-vc stuff (A-140, 145, etc), now it's vc thumbs up
Suburban Bather
Ok, sounds like Peter took care of the quality control issues. Thanks for the heads up everybody.
wetterberg
the doepfer lpg has a resonance control, and it'll go up to self-oscillation, like the (for my use way too big) QMMG. The m13 isn't resonant.

For my ears the Doepfer sounds better than both of them confused YMMV.
e-grad
I've experience with the Doepfer LPG, Fonik's DIY which is based upon a Peter Grenaders design and the Wiard Borg 2.

The Doepfer don't come close to the plucky sound often associated with the original Buchla LPG. Think the Fonik and Wiard much better!

However, as a filter and VCA in it's on right I think the Doepfer module is one of the best in the A100-line.
Suburban Bather
I think I'll just go ahead and get the QMMG, m13, and two Doepfers.
wetterberg
lol! OctoVac!
Suburban Bather
wetterberg wrote:
lol! OctoVac!

Yeah! Dinner at the Y

I just placed my order for the QMMG and Doepfer DIY#1 kit MY ASS IS BLEEDING

Now who wants to buy an MnM MKII and FR Revolution MKII so that I can buy more Euro modules pronto?
dkcg
Suburban Bather wrote:
wetterberg wrote:
lol! OctoVac!

Yeah! Dinner at the Y

I just placed my order for the QMMG and Doepfer DIY#1 kit MY ASS IS BLEEDING

Now who wants to buy an MnM MKII and FR Revolution MKII so that I can buy more Euro modules pronto?

and the addiction begins....
lol
D/A A/D
I love my Doepfer lpg and my qmmg, use them together all the time - like right now as I type this!
Suburban Bather
Yea, I've read possitive comments from people on all three brands of LPG. I just bought Madcaplabs Doepfer LPG. One more Doepfer and an m13 to go w00t

I definitely want to add a Tyme Sefari, two oscillators, and I'm not sure what kind of lfo, eg's, and amp/mixer, i'm going to put in.
Suburban Bather
Ok, the modules in the bottom row have been ordered. The top row modules are what I'm interested in when more funds/some of the modules themselves become available. The rest of the space is up for grabs.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1