MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Miniwave PROM recommendations?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Miniwave PROM recommendations?
dougcl
Hi folks, my Minwave is just about done, and I wonder if anyone can recommend a PROM to put in the optional socket. A little premature since I haven't tried the stock one yet, but I'm trying to hit the New Years posting quota.
Roycie Roller
Haven't got one meself, but everyone seems to like the Quantizer Eprom.
dkcg
dougcl wrote:
Hi folks, my Minwave is just about done, and I wonder if anyone can recommend a PROM to put in the optional socket. A little premature since I haven't tried the stock one yet, but I'm trying to hit the New Years posting quota.

The socket Rocket isn't bad either. Kind of more of the same variety like the one it comes with, but some cool weird ones too, but I'd love to get another miniwave to get one dedicated to quantizing...
parasitk
Socket Rocket is sweet for bitcrushing and non-linear wave shaping and ESQ waveshapes. http://www.blacet.com/SR.html

Of course... and the Scale Quantizer. It's awesome. SlayerBadger!
Kwote
the Scale Quantizer hands down and if you can be patient the next run of Mini-Roms will be well worth it.

http://www.retrosynth.com/products/minirom/index.html

i honestly wouldn't recommend anything else right now because the mini-rom packs such an insane wallop hyper
zerosum
Quote:

Socket Rocket is sweet for bitcrushing and non-linear wave shaping

Yes Mr. Green I agree!
I love it and overuse it love

The socket rocket is a must have.

Quote:
the Scale Quantizer hands down and if you can be patient the next run of Mini-Roms will be well worth it.

http://www.retrosynth.com/products/minirom/index.html

ooooooo nice 8)
dougcl
Wow, the minirom looks awesome. Glad I asked. On an unfortunate note, I just finished DIYing my miniwave, and the bank and wave pots make the lights do weird things (not count up in binary from 0x1 to 0xF like I would expect). Hopefully I won't make problems worse by poking around looking for the problem. Any ideas are appreciated.

Doug
plord
Hm, I forget, are there trimpots for the pot calibration? I know they are there for the wave zero-crossing adjustment. What are the lights doing? Not counting high enough or counting in a strange order? Check your chip orientation?
Kwote
dougcl wrote:
Wow, the minirom looks awesome. Glad I asked. On an unfortunate note, I just finished DIYing my miniwave, and the bank and wave pots make the lights do weird things (not count up in binary from 0x1 to 0xF like I would expect). Hopefully I won't make problems worse by poking around looking for the problem. Any ideas are appreciated.

Doug

totally not sure what to tell you but have a look at my DIY blog. my MW is one of my most recent posts:

http://www.kwotemusic.blogspot.com

if you could post pictures of your build that might help.
dougcl
Kwote wrote:

if you could post pictures of your build that might help.

I don't see anything obvious out of order here. Here are the symptoms.

1) Bank and Wave pots set full CCW. Bank LEDs and Wave LEDs probably all lit (affected by power up state).
2) Turn Bank pot CW. No change in LED display until about 75% at which point the Wave LEDs start to fluctuate, but not in order.
3) Continue turning Bank pot up, and at about 90%, all the bank LEDs turn off.
4) At this point, turn the Wave Pot CW and the wave LEDs to count up normally. Wave LEDs are fully counted up at about 50% pot.
5) Once the Wave pot is at 90% or so, all the wave LEDs turn off.

You can swap the words Wave and Bank in the above and it will also apply.

Doug
plord
I can't quite tell from the pic, are the anode and cathode of the #2 LED on the bottom set shorted together? I would think that would fail in a more spectacular fashion but you're right, I can't see anything else obviously wrong.

Bad chip? I'd drop a note to John, he's pretty good about about troubleshooting in email and if all else fails he's a cheap repair shop to boot (fixed up my Time Machine).
dkcg
Is that a euro converted one? Not sure if it's the root of your problems, but did you make sure the switches and jacks are wired properly? Peter's conversion kit moves the jacks and switches slightly. Almost threw me off and ended up resoldering a couple things.
dougcl
dkcg wrote:
Is that a euro converted one? Not sure if it's the root of your problems, but did you make sure the switches and jacks are wired properly? Peter's conversion kit moves the jacks and switches slightly. Almost threw me off and ended up resoldering a couple things.

Ha ha, yes, I have noticed that (after the fact)... I'm going to get to redoing the jacks as soon as I get this sorted out.

Right now I'm going to check VCC on all the IC's. Then I need to check the voltage inputs on the ADC's. These two starting points should lead to the solution.

Thanks guys,
Doug
dougcl
U1 and U13 swapped. Hopefully neither is damaged. Everything else seems to be okay.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1