MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Read this! list of working euro rack cases
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Read this! list of working euro rack cases
zerosum
Please post what Euro rack case and power supply you are using to power your Metasonix.
Please list how many modules you are powering.

Here is what I have encountered:
Doepfer LC6 - One R54, One R53, One R52, One R51, One R60.
Doepfer DIY 1 - One R51, One R52, One R53
Modular World euro rack case - One R54, One R51
MonoRocket Gemini - Four R54's, Two R53's, one R51, one R52. MY ASS IS BLEEDING plus a bunch of solid state modules.... applause
Klopfgeist
Doepfer G6 - 1 R-52, 1 R-53, 1 R-54
Doepfer P9 - 1 R-51
All plugged into a cheap ass Furman strip that also powers a Wretch Machine
zerosum
I made this thread so anyone that is just getting into Metasonix R modules will have a list of "known working" cases with Metasonix R modules.
So it would really benefit the community if you could post your working configurations in this thread.
Thank you thumbs up
Cat-A-Tonic
I am using a Power-One HAA15-0.8-A that I wired into a DIY suitcase
to power a single R-51 and a bunch of non-yellow.
I always have to switch it on twice to get going.
I assume this is in part due to the inrush demand of the tube heater.
Rod Serling Fan Club
I'm using home made case with 3 power one 1.7amp supplies. Lots of other stuff in the case besides just metasonix.
nrdvrgr
Doepfer 9U flightcase with R54, 53 and 51.

Also SoS, Wogglebug, Z5000, A-155, MFB drummodules, Vamp, uLFO... and a few more... no problems at all.
goiks
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
I always have to switch it on twice to get going.

after i got my first yellow module, i had to do this too half the time. my experience with this (twice) with the power one 1.5A supplies is that after a while the -12v stops working. ymmv, but i'd be interested to know if this happens to you too.

now i always oversize the ps in my personal cases, i have a power-one 3.2 amp/modular world busboard just for an r60, r51, r53, and r54, and a couple of stg modules. hopefully an r52 sometime soonish too.

i think it would be really nice for the yellow modules to have their own individual power switch, or for metasonix to offer a 4 hp module with a manually switched busboard that allows sequential powerup.
Suburban Bather
6U DIY case with two 1.7amp Power One PSU's and one Doepfer DIY Kit1 PSU powering eight R modules. https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=299710#299710
Kent
Analogue Systems RS-15. The current (get it?) version.
attacksustain
doepfer g6. powering r51,52,53,54, and a bunch of Malekko.
(Had an r60 in there until I sold it).
bkbirge
Decided on a deep vintage luggage/suitcase (about 350hp, 700 if you count the lid but the modules would have to be pretty shallow). And I found a +/12vdc,+5vdc Power one linear supply with 3.4 amps, figure that'll be enough for my 4 metasonix modules (r60, r52, and 2 r54). Just need to figure out which busboards I want, probably a couple tiptops to start it off. Anyone have any recommendations on ribbon cable suppliers, I think I'll need some extended lengths.
slow_riot
what the hell... today i thought my doepfer DIY kits2 PSU was 2.5A, and then a bit later in the day I realised that it was 1.2 per rail.

And it's surviving like a champ... r-51 and r-52, plus 12 Malekko Wiard modules... maths, rene, a156. Clean start up, and no obvious problems with power (although I plan to upgrade to be on the safe side)

I think that, in some ways current draw is a very loose way to measure electric juice requirements? It was mentioned in Metasonix literature that the Doepfer PSU can handle 6 R series modules, which theoretically would draw 2.5A on both rails at startup?
bkbirge
I'm very tempted to add on/off switches to the metasonix stuff, or maybe just each busboard instead.
zerosum
bkbirge wrote:
I'm very tempted to add on/off switches to the metasonix stuff, or maybe just each busboard instead.

That really isn't necessary.
I feel like people may be complicating this more than it needs to be,
Don't need to swallow the cat to catch the frog to catch the fly,
Just buy a large power supply, or two and things are fine.

Or buy what people have been having good luck with, like the Doepfer cabinets.
bkbirge
zerosum wrote:
bkbirge wrote:

That really isn't necessary.
I feel like people may be complicating this more than it needs to be,
Don't need to swallow the cat to catch the frog to catch the fly,
Just buy a large power supply, or two and things are fine.

Or buy what people have been having good luck with, like the Doepfer cabinets.

Yeah figured that out eventually on my own. I went for a big honking Power one supply, stuffed it in a project box for remote use with some cool sensor LED's, finally finished up my DIY case & power last night, 3.4 linear amps on each rail +/-12 and +5, 4 tiptop passive busboards. Rock solid with load and handles shorts like a prize fighter. After finally getting to play a bit with some of my modules all I can say is the Metasonix stuff is every bit pro gear, don't let the 'fuck you' attitude fool you. Build quality is fantastic and the sound, besides being in your face easily, can also do very subtle. And there are manuals! Compared to some of the other modules I've got there really is no contest. A few of the ones I got that aren't metasonix don't work or clearly have problems. Now I think it's time to hit that API rack.
ear ear
Kent wrote:
Analogue Systems RS-15. The current (get it?) version.

What modules do you have in your RS-15? I have obtained an RS-10 with the intention of running an R-51, R52, R54 and R-60 in it, but, although the RS-10 has 1.5 amps of power, I have discovered that it is split half-and-half between the two sets of power connectors - so one of the thirsty modules can't go in this case, it would seem. It's not underpowered by very much - am I being overcautious?
zerosum
Quote:
I have obtained an RS-10 with the intention of running an R-51, R52, R54 and R-60 in it, but, although the RS-10 has 1.5 amps of power, I have discovered that it is split half-and-half between the two sets of power connectors - so one of the thirsty modules can't go in this case, it would seem. It's not underpowered by very much - am I being overcautious?

Hmmm.... hmmm..... I don't have any personal experience with that case, but Big City Music does sell them(and I think may be using one for their Metasonix R modules), I would suggest sending BCM an e-mail and asking them how their experience has been.

Good luck thumbs up
hednoize
Since I've seen people asking about the R series and the Tiptop Happy Ending Kit/uZeus in the Euro section, and since it seems no one has tried (and reported) it yet, and since while waiting for my G6 case to arrive I happen to also have acquired the Tiptop kit as well as an R-51, I thought I'd give it a shot. And, it does work fine.

Granted, the R-51 is not the biggest power sucker of the series, and I only had one other module in the kit (an ES-3, which Os says pulls over 100ma), but still, it does power up fine and work swimmingly. I used it for about three hours, everything was normal. thumbs up

I thought it might be nice to know for some people that it's an option if they want to power at least an R-51 (or based on their specs, one of the other R-series modules). But seriously, who buys only one R module? That's just wrong.

felixer
slow_riot wrote:
I think that, in some ways current draw is a very loose way to measure electric juice requirements? It was mentioned in Metasonix literature that the Doepfer PSU can handle 6 R series modules, which theoretically would draw 2.5A on both rails at startup?

i think it's just the other way around: current ratings on psu are fairly meaningless. like with audio, analog has headroom and digital has not. meaning that a psu like the doepfer can provide peak currents much bigger then the average/long-term '1200mA' that's printed on the lid. while switching psu's cannot provide those peaks. so you'd prob have to get double the rating to provide the same stability. and then the whole price&weight comparison (prob the main reason to consider a switched psu) looks a bit different .....
ear ear
zerosum wrote:
Quote:
I have obtained an RS-10 with the intention of running an R-51, R52, R54 and R-60 in it, but, although the RS-10 has 1.5 amps of power, I have discovered that it is split half-and-half between the two sets of power connectors - so one of the thirsty modules can't go in this case, it would seem. It's not underpowered by very much - am I being overcautious?

Hmmm.... hmmm..... I don't have any personal experience with that case, but Big City Music does sell them(and I think may be using one for their Metasonix R modules), I would suggest sending BCM an e-mail and asking them how their experience has been.

Good luck thumbs up

Just set up the RS-10 case with the R-54 into the R-52 into the R-51 - seems to work fine / as diabolically as expected.
radiodread87
might be bad but ive got an r53 , r51 , r52 , couple of envelators , pressure points and brains all in an asys rs15 case , no dramas doesnt get too hot so hopefully all is good smile
hednoize
An addendum to my previous post on the success of powering an R-51 with a TipTop uZeus:

I've since acquired an R-54 and a Doepfer G6 rack to power both, but still have the TipTop uZeus, so I thought I'd just try and see if it could happily power both the R-54 and R-51, and it was successful -- a uZeus can power both. How much juice is available after powering those two, I don't know.

FatRocky
Have you heard of adding another PSU to a G6 case?

I think I read that on the g6 manual , I'll check

if a g6 can run 1.2a x 2 of power...

...How many R modules can fit ? according to the size : only six right?

but which six? can it be 3x R54 top row and R51, R53, and R52 on the other row?
zerosum
Quote:
if a g6 can run 1.2a x 2 of power...

No. A G6 only provides 1.2 amps of power. I explained that in your other thread.
The monorocket Mission 6B cases provide 2x1.2 amps.

Quote:
...How many R modules can fit ? according to the size : only six right?

but which six? can it be 3x R54 top row and R51, R53, and R52 on the other row?

No. As explained in your other thread, a G6 can power 4 R modules reliably but it depends on which modules you select.
6 is probably pushing it and not recommended or guaranteed to work.
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41074

The tubes require 3X the power to heat up, so you need to allow headroom for the tube heaters.
An R54 uses 250mA, but on power up it can use up to 750 mA.

Quote:
Have you heard of adding another PSU to a G6 case?

No. If you want more power you need to get a case that supplies the maximum power.
The new monorockets have dual power supplies, that is what you want if you want more than 1.2amps that the doepfer's provide.

Please don't buy 6 modules and be disappointed if they don't power up in your G6.
FatRocky
Hi Zerosum

Yes I remember that , sorry if i didn't explain myself well.

I meant how many R modules can you put in a G6 case if you install a second PSU in the case? I remember I read about that in the g6 manual , I'll better check that or ask Dieter in the yahoo forum.

I have an extra g6 at the moment , the monorocket is gorgeous but i'm just trying to save money. If it's not possible then I'll get the monorocket M9B in black colour Metasonix!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2