MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Good trader: Paul Schreiber
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Good trader: Paul Schreiber
doctorvague
I ordered a MOTM 650 MIDI>CV on Dec 18th and received it just now Jan 2. That's fast - especially considering the holidays!! Also right after I finalized my order I realized I had forgotten to add a 995 power board to the order (this is the first MOTM to go in my newly acquired dotcom system) but Paul called and asked if I was covered for power and conveniently added the 995 to my order. Much better than the kluge I was going to do and allows for other MOTM to be added in the future. I have a MOTM 440 filter (that I LOVE) and will add that when I get a bigger dotcom cabinet later this year. Paul also explained certain bugs in the 650 and was upfront about everything so there wouldn't be any surprises. I don't think they will affect me, but if there's a dealbreaker he also said he would take it back. All good business practices IMO.

I'm not a chain-yanker and have bitched about a few bad experiences in the past with a couple of modular makers, so it's only fair to wave the good-guy flag too.

Good job, Paul!
Phil in New Mexico
sandyb
good to hear phil
how are you liking the dotcom system?

sandy
e-grad
Yep, since MOTM 2.0 Paul ships fast.
synthetic
90% of my MOTM orders ship in a 2-3 weeks.
Suburban Bather
I ordered an EG from Paul and he called me about an hour later. He did not recognize me, so he wanted to make sure I wasn't some clueless guitar player trying to use modules as stand alone guitar fx lol

A pleasure to talk to on the phone. I do have to say the same for Suitandtieguy(Eric) as well, funny guy.
doctorvague
sandyb wrote:
good to hear phil

sandy

Hey Sandy
I posted a reply earlier but don't know where it went...
I am *thrilled* with this dotcom system. I'm not sure exactly where the magic is, but to my ears this thing just sounds the best of any gear that I have. It's all personal prefs and very subjective of course, and nothing against other stuff but the roundness and specifically the low end really trip my trigger. I want to eventually expand this 22 portable into a 66 space walnut system but that may take a year or 2 and will probably sell off some Euro stuff to make some space and $$. I may go with the Modcan sequencer though and maybe one dotcom sequencer. That modcan looks the business! So the top cab will end up being a mix of dotcom, modcan and MOTM.
Here's a short faux-Buchla noodle from the dotcom 22. Hope I didn't post this here already.
http://idisk.mac.com/doctorvague/Public/Clips/Road_Apples_of_the_Moon. mp3

Well I'm off to install this MOTM650 and begin arpeggiating!
Cheers
Phil
sandyb
doctorvague wrote:
sandyb wrote:
good to hear phil

sandy

Hey Sandy
I posted a reply earlier but don't know where it went...
I am *thrilled* with this dotcom system. I'm not sure exactly where the magic is, but to my ears this thing just sounds the best of any gear that I have. It's all personal prefs and very subjective of course, and nothing against other stuff but the roundness and specifically the low end really trip my trigger. I want to eventually expand this 22 portable into a 66 space walnut system but that may take a year or 2 and will probably sell off some Euro stuff to make some space and $$. I may go with the Modcan sequencer though and maybe one dotcom sequencer. That modcan looks the business! So the top cab will end up being a mix of dotcom, modcan and MOTM.
Here's a short faux-Buchla noodle from the dotcom 22. Hope I didn't post this here already.
http://idisk.mac.com/doctorvague/Public/Clips/Road_Apples_of_the_Moon. mp3

Well I'm off to install this MOTM650 and begin arpeggiating!
Cheers
Phil

glad you like it and nice soundclip smile
i have a dotcom q119 which is good fun but i'd like to pick up the q960 maybe in the future. (wouldn't say no to the modcan sequencer either though!)

sandy
BananaPlug
Bumping this old thread to say I just got a kit from Paul today. Haven't dug into yet but looks good and the turnaround time was a completely reasonable 3 weeks.
paults
Well, a year and 1/2 later I'm still hanging in there, plugging away Dead Banana
analogPedagog
If you push him he will ship. At least thats my expierience w/ his 5U stuff.
Reptil
ok, I'll try that. seriously, i just don't get it
mr. Schreiber, could you please ship my stuff now?
Reptil
Update:
Santa came early this year lol

recieved the MOTM kits
excellent stuff, very neatly organised, wires pre-cut etc.
it's worth the wait, I conclude.

thanks thumbs up
BTByrd
I'm patiently waiting on a 440 and a 480. I needs me some filterses!
paults
I am having an issue with the CA3280s used in the '480 VCF. Later this month I will have to take time and see if I have a bad batch (they seem fine in the MOTM-190 VCA). This is problem with old analog stuff cry

I'm looking next week into having all my MOTM pc boards automated stuffed/wave soldered in order to reduce lead times (it's not cheaper but it's a lot faster ).
doctorvague
paults wrote:
I am having an issue with the CA3280s used in the '480 VCF. Later this month I will have to take time and see if I have a bad batch (they seem fine in the MOTM-190 VCA). This is problem with old analog stuff cry

I'm looking next week into having all my MOTM pc boards automated stuffed/wave soldered in order to reduce lead times (it's not cheaper but it's a lot faster ).

Interesting. I've been waiting on a 480 since February and you never mentioned this to me, just that you were traveling.
paults
Both are correct.

In my prior job, I had 50-60% travel in a 14-state territory. During one stretch last year, I was at home 11 days out of 90.

Back in mid-April, I used up one lot of CA3280s and then starting using another. The CA3280 is used in 2 modules: the MOTM-190 dual VCA and the MOTM-480 VCF. THe MOTM-190s work perfectly fine.

However, upon building up 3 or so pc boards for the '480, I am seeing the gain of the CA3280s be too high for this application (the MOTM-190 has gain trimming). It may be an individual IC issue, it may be worse. I have to now make up a little test fixture out of a perfectly good '480 and run the chips through to see if this is another bad batch (this happened back in 2007 when a company called FutureLec shipped counterfeit CA3280s to lots of us synth folks. Those parts didn't work at all.)

It will be 2 weeks or so until I have the time to stop everything and figure this out. I need to ship Euro stuff and finish about 33 MOTM kits before this can happen.
jackastro
I ordered a MOTM 650. It took about 5 or 6 months to arrive. The original estimate was 3 months.

Paul responded promptly to all my inquires. And I was not charged till the module was actually built.

I would definitely buy from Paul again. (Even if it took 6 months, lol)

P.S. The MOTM 650 is fantastic!!
rafe127
paults wrote:
Both are correct.

In my prior job, I had 50-60% travel in a 14-state territory. During one stretch last year, I was at home 11 days out of 90.

Back in mid-April, I used up one lot of CA3280s and then starting using another. The CA3280 is used in 2 modules: the MOTM-190 dual VCA and the MOTM-480 VCF. THe MOTM-190s work perfectly fine.

However, upon building up 3 or so pc boards for the '480, I am seeing the gain of the CA3280s be too high for this application (the MOTM-190 has gain trimming). It may be an individual IC issue, it may be worse. I have to now make up a little test fixture out of a perfectly good '480 and run the chips through to see if this is another bad batch (this happened back in 2007 when a company called FutureLec shipped counterfeit CA3280s to lots of us synth folks. Those parts didn't work at all.)

It will be 2 weeks or so until I have the time to stop everything and figure this out. I need to ship Euro stuff and finish about 33 MOTM kits before this can happen.

Wondering if there is any new info about this issue... I am still dreaming of a '480. I had ordered one and then got too ADD to wait for it after a few months, but I was thinking of reordering....
paults
I'm going to have time (finally) to address this issue in 10 days. In all honesty, the thing needs to be redesigned to eliminate these obsolete parts, put it in SMT, and run 50 boards in 1 day.

This is the struggle I am going over and over in my mind: MOTM is approaching 13 years old. ICs in DIP are getting impossible to find for *new* designs are are anything but simple stuff. It's like: the cooler the module, the harder it is to find the ICs anymore.

I was never "set up" for cranking out 100s of assembled module using the designs from the kits. This is where SMT blows thru-hole out of the water.

I still may be able to see if the 1 local company with a thru-hole auto-insertion machine will run these again for me. The '480 has low priority right now, that's just how it is.
xart
paults wrote:
I'm going to have time (finally) to address this issue in 10 days. In all honesty, the thing needs to be redesigned to eliminate these obsolete parts, put it in SMT, and run 50 boards in 1 day.

This is the struggle I am going over and over in my mind: MOTM is approaching 13 years old. ICs in DIP are getting impossible to find for *new* designs are are anything but simple stuff. It's like: the cooler the module, the harder it is to find the ICs anymore.

I was never "set up" for cranking out 100s of assembled module using the designs from the kits. This is where SMT blows thru-hole out of the water.

I still may be able to see if the 1 local company with a thru-hole auto-insertion machine will run these again for me. The '480 has low priority right now, that's just how it is.

I'm sure you've thought of this...but any chance of when you re-do the designs SMT you also put .com connectors on them and have someone (you) run .com fronts? It seems like (maybe I'm wrong, what do I know?) you can get your setup investment back + another 13 years of modules out of your designs in the .com format...

I'm sure you have adressed this..If so can someone please point me to a thread here or on yahoo? I always find your " modular market analysis" brutally honest and fascinating... thumbs up

EDIT: YAHOO EGROUPS Message #33281 Paul speaks on this....

"Another possibility is moving Frac designs into Euro, or moving MOTM designs into MU (.com panels). "

SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!

thumbs up
drewtoothpaste
Putting MOTM into MU panels with .com power connectors = fucking awesome and I would buy at least 1-2 of them as soon as they were available.
Just me
Second that for me. I have an MOTM module I won't use because of the format differance. I've got a blank .Com panel and am planing on repaneling it. I'll make a power adaptor. But to be able to just buy them in my chosen format would be very nice.
100th Monkey
Third for me. I've had my eye on a few modules for a while now but I'm always put off by the idea of starting yet another format.
SynthBaron
Gotta know when to cut your losses and move on.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1