MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

AFG and Z5000
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author AFG and Z5000
modularplanner
Hi,

Does anyone here have both these. I need to A/B test against mine as I think my Z5000 if faulty.

If you could run a Sawtooth from the AFG through the Z5000 and set it to flange at 100%, could you please post an mp3? Mine just seems to sounds like shit.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bnnwDnTYC4I
Kent
So weird. I just don't know why I can't access your site 1/2 the time. Been that way since last night.
modularplanner
odd, its up and running. Must be a problem with the routing from your ISP.
Kent
Yeah, I assume that it is something particular to you & I. It happens from time to time.

Thanks for posting the YouTube version though. I checked it out, and long story short, I confirmed that the Z5000 is a suck-ass flanger. It's not good at many things & flanging is one of them. It could well be that the conversion delay (at the A/D and D/A) is helping to ensure some extra suck.

I tried it with my Vostok's saw wave and even manipulated the Wet/Dry Mix and it barely made a difference. They are simply using closely spaced delays for flanging on this module and it certainly isn't rich in flanging character. I'd say yours is functioning as per the end design goal.

Maybe Doepfer's Multi-effector will be better. I normally just use outboard gear and the gain-staging is often better in most cases as well. I do like having a convenient delay in the modular form; but I'm hoping to replace it when something better comes out.

In sum: Yours is working normally. Unfortunately.
modularplanner
Weird thing is, as I've posted on the tip top forum is that in their demo sample "waveshaper" the flanging sounds like what I expected it to, nice and clear.

To be honest I'm quite disappointed in this module, it has some uses but it always sounds like it has bad aliasing or something, as it sounds quite noisy like its overdriven most of the time, and I dont mean the zipper dial effect on the delay.
brandon daniel
modularplanner wrote:
Weird thing is, as I've posted on the tip top forum is that in their demo sample "waveshaper" the flanging sounds like what I expected it to, nice and clear.

To be honest I'm quite disappointed in this module, it has some uses but it always sounds like it has bad aliasing or something, as it sounds quite noisy like its overdriven most of the time, and I dont mean the zipper dial effect on the delay.

What kind of case/PS do you have it in? My analogue systems delay/sampler module does this kind of thing if the 5v supply can't keep up with it...
modularplanner
Its a 6U doepfer suitcase, actually has an extra 5v adapter in it for the A-190 module that in there also. I tried disconnecting everything but the Z5000 and leaving the adapter in and with it out, still the same.
REwire
I want a Z5000 now after hearing that!!!! Awesome noise and grunge!
Cybananna
REwire wrote:

I'm with you! I loved that sound. lol

(not what I would expect in a flanger though!) d'oh!
Kent
The Z5000 does not need the extra 5VDC rail, if I'm not mistaken. The ASys delays definitely do.

The Z5000 is a weird 1st product from a company. I can see the angle on so many levels, but the execution is off. It is fine for fleshing out parts, but it certainly isn't a classic module and I'm not sure that the 1/2-baked Voltage Controlling brings confidence to the brand.
It was a smart move to bring something that is so different to the market; but it would have been an even better product launch if the unit had all of the kooky 'buggy' issues addressed before it got in clients' hands. I guess that is what beta-testing is for. It would have been nice to have seen the gain-staging addressed as well.

I've tried turning its foibles into strengths of character, but it is too much trouble & it isn't a character that interests me in this box.

It ain't all bad. I just use it for reverb or very subtle things. The Analogue Systems RS290/295 is my 'proper' delay/flanger.

For straight-up flanging sounds; seek out the Metasonix-yellow Ibanez Swell Flanger SF-10. It will also do amazingly silly crap and will self-oscillate and play itself. A bit of a Flanger secret.
modularplanner
Cybananna wrote:
REwire wrote:

I'm with you! I loved that sound. lol

(not what I would expect in a flanger though!) d'oh!

lol, yeah I must admit there is a "diving fighter plane noise" that I quite liked, right in the middle of that when I sweep the AFG frequency.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1