MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Frac Cases
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author Frac Cases
Dragonslair
Well here is my first prototype Frac case, I built this one to test out a few ideas, and to give me something in the workshop to mount modules in for testing.
Case is 11 single modules wide and 8" deep (7.25 inside), power supply and a Corcom EFI shielded power entry module are mounted to the back panel, there will also be a buss board when I get them.
I made this one from laminated pine boards, stained with a dark oak stain, then 2 coats of satin varnish, I prefer the satin over the gloss, I don't think the wood should be shinier than the panels, it is also put together with glue and pocket screws for strength.
Since this was for my workshop, I also added feet to it.
There are a few things I will doing differently on the next ones, but basically they will look the same.
I am going to make the next one 6U high, and see how it turns out.
Dragonslair
Here it is with a few modules in it.
I was thinking of making three sizes,
3U x 11 spaces
3U x 20 spaces
6U x 22 spaces
JohnLRice
Nice job! w00t
Kent
Very, very, very nice! Black against the oak stain looks classy.
Kwote
i like it. is there a chance of putting a lid on it in case we want to travel with it to gigs? i'd just be going local.

also wondering how much power it generates and what you used for the rails?
Dragonslair
I could make lids for these, but it would be as much work to make the lid as it is to make the case, so I don't think it would be cost effective, it would end up being cheaper to buy standard rack cases.
The power supply is good for 1200ma per rail and 300ma on the 5v rail.
I will be putting buss boards in them, as soon as I get them, but they are taking forever to get here, so I may have to etch a few of my own for the prototypes.
Cat-A-Tonic
Quote:
also wondering what you used for the rails?

Aren't those the 'Vector rails' with threaded nuts that slide back and forth for maximizing fit & spacing in Euroland?

Nice looking case by the way.
What kind of wood did you use?
Dragonslair
I used some old Schroff rails for the prototype, I took out the fixed threaded mounts, and put in some of the vector T-nuts.
I have some of the vector rails on order, they where supposed to be here before Christmas, but I haven't seen them yet.
Dragonslair
Here's the 6U 22 space prototype, I was thinking about Kwote's idea for a lid, and recessed the rails back a bit farther, you lose a bit of interior space, but I could always make them 10" deep rather than 8".
I think this size would be more practical than the 11 space cabinet.
Muff Wiggler
i may be in the minority here, but it always bugs me a bit when the power switch is taking up space where a module can be mounted. let's face it, module real estate is never cheap. What about relocating the switch and indicator LEDs to the rear?
Dragonslair
I think it is more of a personal call, some people want it on the front, some on the back, personally, I like to have the power switch were I can get at it.
BananaPlug
Quote:
i may be in the minority here, but it always bugs me a bit when the power switch is taking up space where a module can be mounted.

I agree!
plord
BananaPlug wrote:
Quote:
i may be in the minority here, but it always bugs me a bit when the power switch is taking up space where a module can be mounted.

I agree!

How much is it worth to you? Look at the design here; It's a wooden box with rails and PS bolted onto it on one side and the front edge only. Getting a professional fit and finish in this design is not that difficult. You go cutting into the back panel to either mount that plug/switch "module", or redesign to mount the switch and plug directly in/on the wood...that's gonna cost, right?
revmutt
Dave,

The cases look really great. The 22 is the way to go.

I think the power supply thing is going to be divided evenly.

I wonder if you have tried to slip any Euro panels in there. I think that option would make it a big hit.

TD
GCF
revmutt wrote:
Dave,

The cases look really great. The 22 is the way to go.

I think the power supply thing is going to be divided evenly.

I wonder if you have tried to slip any Euro panels in there. I think that option would make it a big hit.

TD

I can't speak for Dave, but I can say that I tried fitting some Frac into a Schroff for Euro and the holes didn't line up. Someone please correct me if they know otherwise, but it doesn't seem like the hole spacing is the same on Fracs and Euros.
DGTom
Euro modules would need an adapter or somthing, I would think they would slip thru the rails in a frac case.
Dragonslair
Frac modules are a little bit taller than euro modules, the euro modules would fit in a frac case. but the frac modules will not fit in most euro cases.
The main problem is that the mounting holes are in different locations, so the rails have to be spaced differently for each type of module.
Dragonslair
Here is another idea I have been playing with, I picked up a couple Blacet Frac racks a while back, to experiment with, and made a rear panel with the power supply and buss board mounted to it, and to keep our glorious leader Muff happy, I mounted the power switch and fuse to it also. we're not worthy
It would come assembled and tested, so all you would have to do is attach it to the back of your rack, and plug it in.
The only drawback is that you would be limited to modules that are 4.5" deep or less in the rack.
The power supply will easily power 3 or 4 racks, so you could daisy chain distro boards in multiple racks, and put deeper modules in the other racks.

I haven't fixed a price yet, but it would be around $200 US
If anyone is interested in this solution (or any of my other cases or modules) send me a PM .
Muff Wiggler
Dragonslair wrote:
and to keep our glorious leader Muff happy, I mounted the power switch and fuse to it also.

very nice 8)
Kwote
Dragonslair wrote:
Here is another idea I have been playing with, I picked up a couple Blacet Frac racks a while back, to experiment with, and made a rear panel with the power supply and buss board mounted to it, and to keep our glorious leader Muff happy, I mounted the power switch and fuse to it also. we're not worthy
It would come assembled and tested, so all you would have to do is attach it to the back of your rack, and plug it in.
The only drawback is that you would be limited to modules that are 4.5" deep or less in the rack.
The power supply will easily power 3 or 4 racks, so you could daisy chain distro boards in multiple racks, and put deeper modules in the other racks.

I haven't fixed a price yet, but it would be around $200 US
If anyone is interested in this solution (or any of my other cases or modules) send me a PM .

what's the exact output on the psu? ps: hot love
fluxmonkey
Dragonslair wrote:

only thing to watch for is module depth and clearance for the PS/Connector... IIRC, a number of blacet modules extend pretty far back.
BananaPlug
Quote:
Euro modules would need an adapter or somthing

I've had success using nothing more than a scrap of wood. Of course then you have the issue of 12v vs 15v.
Dragonslair
Kwote wrote:

what's the exact output on the psu? ps: hot love

The power supply is adjustable for +/-12 or 15v and is rated for 1000ma on each of the +/- rails and 500ma on the 5v rail.
The adjustment is a bit finicky at 12v, I have to get some 10 turn trim pots , and see if that makes it easier.

Dave
Dragonslair
fluxmonkey wrote:

only thing to watch for is module depth and clearance for the PS/Connector... IIRC, a number of blacet modules extend pretty far back.

I think I covered that hihi

Dragonslair wrote:

DGTom
BananaPlug wrote:
Quote:
Euro modules would need an adapter or somthing

I've had success using nothing more than a scrap of wood. Of course then you have the issue of 12v vs 15v.

The simplest soloutions are often the best! SlayerBadger!

The problem with having a whole rack where the max. module depth is 4.5" is, really, very few Frac modules are that shallow. This also caused (almost) me a problem with my suitcase. The Mixer / Processor has to be mounted in the centre to allow room for busboards, lucky for me thats just where I want it, but if I needed any other module there, I'd be in trouble.

I guess you could use some threaded spacers to offset the power panel from the back, give yourself about 3/4" & your laughing!

Its a great little design & build tho.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1