MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Purchasing advice: Silentway + Computer + Audio Interface
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author Purchasing advice: Silentway + Computer + Audio Interface
George Orwell
I need some purchasing advice please.

I have a basic modular set up - 3 vcos, a couple of filters, lfos etc, dark energy as a midi/cv interface.

I want to get Silentway (weird, I know) but don’t have a computer, audio interface or any software.

I’m thinking netbook + an audio interface compatible with Silentway.
Presumably I also need some software to run Silentway as a VST?

What would you recommend in terms of:

Computer

Interface

Other software

My budget is £400 max.

Apologies for my ignorance, but I am here to be advised smile

Thanks
Kent
I can't offer any help, unfortunately, since I don't know anything that would be pertinent to your request.

I just had to say that your Log-In name of "George Fuckin' Orwell" is bad-ass! SlayerBadger!
sandyb
i've moved this to the expert sleepers subforum.
people there are using silent way all the time and will be able to advise on what suitable purchases may be.
George Orwell
Thanks Kent. I live in your county, it's very pleasant.

Someone tell me what to buy please.
giorgio
dunno if it will work in your budget, but I'll have to recommend getting numerology for use with silent way. shits great from my limited experience with it (but it seems like the no-brainer choice is you are looking to sequence a modular with silentway, and are not already locked into some other software cause you've used it for 235 years and don't want to change)

you need a mac to run it, so that might blow your budget, but from my understanding, an older mac would work just fine with all of that stuff.

given your budget, which seems pretty low, you might want to find a free computer and some open source software, and spend your money on a motu interface and silentway. i dunno if there are any open source sequencers
SPUDBOY WILSON
giorgio wrote:
dunno if it will work in your budget, but I'll have to recommend getting numerology for use with silent way. shits great from my limited experience with it (but it seems like the no-brainer choice is you are looking to sequence a modular with silentway, and are not already locked into some other software cause you've used it for 235 years and don't want to change)

you need a mac to run it, so that might blow your budget, but from my understanding, an older mac would work just fine with all of that stuff.

given your budget, which seems pretty low, you might want to find a free computer and some open source software, and spend your money on a motu interface and silentway. i dunno if there are any open source sequencers

I don't question your advice for using a Mac as to it's viability as the unit to use. Could you please explain why it is your pick for this application?
thanks
urbanscallywag
he's referring to: http://five12.com/

i will have to +1 that idea. Launchpad, Numerology, and SilentWay = thumbs up
George Orwell
Thanks for all the advice!

Numerology does look rather excellent.

What's launchpad?

I could get a dell netbook that has been hacked to run mac osx for around £200 or so. Any views on that route?

Also - what's the cheapest audio interface I can get that works with silentway?
os
You're probably looking at a MOTU Ultralite, which isn't that cheap.

If you really want to save money, make yourself some AC Encoder cables:
http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/siwaacencoder.html

and then use any audio interface you like.
os
ESI Gigaport HD is really cheap and is known to work with Silent Way (search the forum) once the output voltage has been boosted somewhat. You'd need an ES-1 or the voltage doubler cables if going the DIY route.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1