MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

High end granular processor
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Author High end granular processor
Carci
It seems like a lot of people are waiting for the granular design even though there's not much information available yet.

quote The Governor : "28HP with dedicated randomization controls per parameter and an SD card slot"

Will there be audio input(s) or is it just grains played back from the SD card ?
Will it be able to act as a granular delay ?
What will be the name of it ?

Teaser wanted !
Johnisfaster
will it be able to do simple stretching effects? down sampling?

Dear God.. please let it record too...
ignatius
i want an audiomulch "granulator" module w/modulation inputs. that'd be crazy time.

pitch, duration, grain length, # of grains, quantization, shape, skew, inter onset time...

but whatever he does i'm sure it'll be wicked.
blz
i really cant wait for this its gonna be amazing i dont need any teasers just the module the wait shall killth me
Bishop Dust
So ?????

When ??????? seriously, i just don't get it
Veqtor
I want this soo much
anthonybisset
2nd that. 3rd that.
I want it more.
Rockin' Banana!
Red Electric Rainbow
Im with you all. I have the phonogene. Anyone else try one of those out yet? I know its probably not gonna be anywhere near the same thing: functionally or sound wise. But still, pretty bitchin.
Bishop Dust
Newwws ?
Monobass
hopefully 'polyphonic' for cloud effects unlike Phonogene, and has the option to remove clicks at grains boundaries too.
stk
Must.
Have.
Graaaains Dead Banana
Veqtor
I think it will have some kind of window, even vc-able. So maybe we will have the possibility of making our own grain windows and morphing between them? Dead Banana
rafe127
Will it be the long-awaited Beat-Repeat in a module?
Veqtor
rafe127 wrote:

I hope not, beat repeat, although a pretty cool effect, is quite basic compared to this. Beat repeat should be realized along some other "glitch" effects as some kind of dedicated module, ideally with tempo-sync controls like on the modcan quad lfo, tyme sefari v2 or 4ms pingable env gen.

A module that does glitch effects would have to be advanced enough while sufficiently cv integrated to warrant the purchase. There are tons of plugs that do this effect on computers and it's become quite overused. I mean come on, it's being used blatantly on stuff like the tron teaser and poorly produced ke$ha track$... Dead Banana

I wish the grain module will have three outputs, left right and aux. Aux being controllable by a randomizable per grain control, it would allow for per grain reverb send, something described by curtis roads in the book "microsound" as a very powerful feature.
reppiks
Can't wait for the lowdown on this...
governor blacksnake
Planning to have this get real in 2012. Name is "volkmire's inferno". Lots of outputs with a facility to spread grains around them. I'm working on re-issuing some older designs first, but this is the next "large" project I'm handling now that Double Andore is done. The starting point is based on a lot of Barry Truax's ideas for granular composition, and it goes from there.
authorless
governor blacksnake wrote:
Planning to have this get real in 2012. Name is "volkmire's inferno". Lots of outputs with a facility to spread grains around them. I'm working on re-issuing some older designs first, but this is the next "large" project I'm handling now that Double Andore is done. The starting point is based on a lot of Barry Truax's ideas for granular composition, and it goes from there.

Looking forward to it. It could quite possibly cause a refreshing paradigm shift in my approach to composition.
reppiks
Cool name
I can't afford this before 2012 (finished this year's gear budget now) so timing suits me well
Awaiting panel design and further info nearer the time...
Gonna be a must buy
pas
Monobass wrote:
hopefully 'polyphonic' for cloud effects unlike Phonogene, and has the option to remove clicks at grains boundaries too.

i second that...god damn this thing has got me excited, just threw down for a double andore, ready in a heartbeat to throw down for volkmire's inferno, harvestman cannot be stopped.

The Harvestman
reppiks
Re: Barry Truax, this is a fascinating interview:
http://www.sfu.ca/~truax/barry.html

I'm SO stoked about this module!!
Bishop Dust
screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo
Veqtor
Lots of outputs with a facility to spread grains around them.

Wow, this is very interesting! I imagine sending grains out to be reverb-mashed by zdsp and quite possibly fft modules that might surface sometime in the future... We're in for a crazy ride guys!
rafe127
Veqtor wrote:
rafe127 wrote:

I hope not, beat repeat, although a pretty cool effect, is quite basic compared to this. I mean come on, it's being used blatantly on stuff like the tron teaser and poorly produced ke$ha track$... Dead Banana

I agree that Beat Repeat is very commonly used, but it is an effect that I enjoy quite a lot if used in the right way. I was definitely joking when I asked if THIS granular module will be Beat Repeat... that is not exactly Harvestman style lol

I think I posted this somewhere else on MW once before, but here it goes again:

Something with capabilities like this I would use a lot. It's no coincidence that all these things I like are from Ableton. I just wish I didn't HATE using computers.
reppiks
from 2009:

Yeah, the cost of developing and hand-building such a unit was historically one of the things keeping me from seriously exploring a design like that when I was a student (only cost me about $350 to develop the tyme sefari in early 2007, FPE panel and all, in comparison) It's always been on my mind (and I assume, on the minds of any other audio-aware bytemonger). What costs the most in modular land is typically the front panel controls and the panel itself. Imagining a granular processor with enough parametric control, with CV on top of that, knobs and attenuators for everything, multiple outlets and a facility for spatialization between them... we're looking at least 21HP unless things go ugly or crowded.

Also, the guts inside would have to be pretty highly spec'd to pull the design off in a less laughable way. We're talking 24 bit codec, a shitload of ram and enough i/o pins to drive it, some interface for getting large chunks of data in and out of the thing. At least it would probably be cheaper than the Analogue Systems sampler.

It's something I'd love to do now that I've got the chops to do so.

I say don't hold back, make this the ultimate granular synthesis module with highest quality and maximum control. I'll pay what it's worth, and others will too.

I feel that the word 'game changer' gets used around these parts a bit too loosely sometimes, but i believe this thing is going to redefine the possibilities in modular sound creation to thrilling unexplored dimensions.
Johnisfaster
It makes me sad to think how long I miggt be waiting for this. :(
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 1 of 6