OberM00G?

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Joe., luketeaford, lisa, Kent

zerosum
Modulation Maniac

OberM00G?

Post by zerosum » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:52 pm

http://angelspit.net/zoog/2009/01/the-obermoog/

Strange thing is it appears to have banana jacks and multiples?

Has anyone seen one of these before?

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:31 pm

odd, the "obermoog" that Reznor used wasn't really modular. It was a prototype of the Oberheim OB-MX from the early-ish '90s.

futuresoundsystems
<3 CMOS

Post by futuresoundsystems » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:19 pm

That could easily be a heap of bull.... but then again may not be....

Those labels do look quite DIY though, too DIY to be made by guys like that... I dunno.

Also multiples in a banana system as said don't make any sense... unless it's been modified to bananas or there's some overloading issues?
Unique designs and ideas in sound since 2005:
http://www.futuresoundsystems.co.uk

tj
music - sound + noise

Post by tj » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:29 pm

i don't know if that banana "obermoog" is a real prototype or diy, but it sure does look cool. i'd love to hear it. wasn't the ob-mx designed by don buchla?
thetwlo wrote:odd, the "obermoog" that Reznor used wasn't really modular. It was a prototype of the Oberheim OB-MX from the early-ish '90s.
from keyboard mag interview with trent reznor, march 1994:

KB: The bass sound on "The Becoming" was impressive.

TR: That was the "Ober-Moog," or whatever it was going to be called. I got it from Richard Bugg, my repair guy out here who was one of the guys designing it. I asked him, "Have you heard about this Oberheim-Moog thing?" And he says, "Yeah, I've got one out at the house. Wanna borrow it for a while?" "Bring it over!" that thing is the fuckin' greatest-sounding keyboard in the world, because it sounds like a Minimoog and an Oberheim, and you can run each one through each other. It doesn't quite work right, and unfortunately the project was scrapped, but that's what I used. [Editor's note: The OB-Mx was officially released the same month as this article. An ad for it actually appears on the next page after the article. It comes with full midi, and two voices, and is currently about $2000. Extra two voice cards are about $800 a peice, and I think you can have up to 16 voices on the unit. It is fully programmable old-analog style knobs and buttons, as well as a modern menu-driven interface. It stores patches in memory, a good amount, and it is a rack-mount unit taking up I believe six slots.]

attacksustain
Ultra Wiggler

Post by attacksustain » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:12 pm

Funny, I was just reading the OB-mx story last night..

http://web.archive.org/web/200104232341 ... ick01.html

The amount of fail around that project was truly spectacular.

parasitk
Learn to swim

Post by parasitk » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:13 pm

Smells funny. Oberheim moog combo that's suddenly patchable with banana and in what looks like a DIY Eurorack? :confused:

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:28 pm

In all likelihood, Reznor made a mistake and he meant Oberheim-Buchla... as in OB... not Oberheim-Moog.

This has probably lead to a growing Urban Legend. Why the hell would Moog collaborate with Oberheim? An Oberheim/Buchla collaboration makes much more sense.

A Dingleberry Monstrosity
eat the kids first

Post by A Dingleberry Monstrosity » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:48 pm

banana jacks AND multiples? :hihi: :lol: :hihi: :lol:

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:40 pm

I swear I even saw a pic of one once and it was actually labeled "OberMoo6" with a "6" for the "g" in Moog. I think the "Moog" was only there to describe it as having "Moog" filters. This was just a prototype-- maybe 2 were made? But apparently it sounded a lot better than the production unit of course, as Gibson compromised/destroyed that.

flts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flts » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:15 pm

thetwlo wrote:I swear I even saw a pic of one once and it was actually labeled "OberMoo6" with a "6" for the "g" in Moog. I think the "Moog" was only there to describe it as having "Moog" filters. This was just a prototype-- maybe 2 were made? But apparently it sounded a lot better than the production unit of course, as Gibson compromised/destroyed that.
http://www.google.fi/search?q=%22OberMoo6%22 at least there's some mentions in the interwebs :hihi: looks like it might've indeed been prototype OB-MX with moog ladder filter design

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”