MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

OberM00G?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author OberM00G?
zerosum
http://angelspit.net/zoog/2009/01/the-obermoog/

Strange thing is it appears to have banana jacks and multiples?

Has anyone seen one of these before?
thetwlo
odd, the "obermoog" that Reznor used wasn't really modular. It was a prototype of the Oberheim OB-MX from the early-ish '90s.
futuresoundsystems
That could easily be a heap of bull.... but then again may not be....

Those labels do look quite DIY though, too DIY to be made by guys like that... I dunno.

Also multiples in a banana system as said don't make any sense... unless it's been modified to bananas or there's some overloading issues?
tj
i don't know if that banana "obermoog" is a real prototype or diy, but it sure does look cool. i'd love to hear it. wasn't the ob-mx designed by don buchla?

thetwlo wrote:
odd, the "obermoog" that Reznor used wasn't really modular. It was a prototype of the Oberheim OB-MX from the early-ish '90s.

from keyboard mag interview with trent reznor, march 1994:

KB: The bass sound on "The Becoming" was impressive.

TR: That was the "Ober-Moog," or whatever it was going to be called. I got it from Richard Bugg, my repair guy out here who was one of the guys designing it. I asked him, "Have you heard about this Oberheim-Moog thing?" And he says, "Yeah, I've got one out at the house. Wanna borrow it for a while?" "Bring it over!" that thing is the fuckin' greatest-sounding keyboard in the world, because it sounds like a Minimoog and an Oberheim, and you can run each one through each other. It doesn't quite work right, and unfortunately the project was scrapped, but that's what I used. [Editor's note: The OB-Mx was officially released the same month as this article. An ad for it actually appears on the next page after the article. It comes with full midi, and two voices, and is currently about $2000. Extra two voice cards are about $800 a peice, and I think you can have up to 16 voices on the unit. It is fully programmable old-analog style knobs and buttons, as well as a modern menu-driven interface. It stores patches in memory, a good amount, and it is a rack-mount unit taking up I believe six slots.]
attacksustain
Funny, I was just reading the OB-mx story last night..

http://web.archive.org/web/20010423234143/stephengoldin.com/gibson/tec hnohick01.html

The amount of fail around that project was truly spectacular.
parasitk
Smells funny. Oberheim moog combo that's suddenly patchable with banana and in what looks like a DIY Eurorack? confused
Kent
In all likelihood, Reznor made a mistake and he meant Oberheim-Buchla... as in OB... not Oberheim-Moog.

This has probably lead to a growing Urban Legend. Why the hell would Moog collaborate with Oberheim? An Oberheim/Buchla collaboration makes much more sense.
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
banana jacks AND multiples? hihi lol hihi lol
thetwlo
I swear I even saw a pic of one once and it was actually labeled "OberMoo6" with a "6" for the "g" in Moog. I think the "Moog" was only there to describe it as having "Moog" filters. This was just a prototype-- maybe 2 were made? But apparently it sounded a lot better than the production unit of course, as Gibson compromised/destroyed that.
flts
thetwlo wrote:
I swear I even saw a pic of one once and it was actually labeled "OberMoo6" with a "6" for the "g" in Moog. I think the "Moog" was only there to describe it as having "Moog" filters. This was just a prototype-- maybe 2 were made? But apparently it sounded a lot better than the production unit of course, as Gibson compromised/destroyed that.

http://www.google.fi/search?q=%22OberMoo6%22 at least there's some mentions in the interwebs hihi looks like it might've indeed been prototype OB-MX with moog ladder filter design
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1