MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

chandler germanium pre guts.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author chandler germanium pre guts.
attacksustain
bought a chandler germanium preamp off ebay. It arrived with the jack on the front panel not working. it was loose, so I opened it up to tighten it, and resolder the connections. Works fine now.

I was amazed by how little was actually inside it though.

http://yfrog.com/gzpmagvj

The only other pre I have (avalon u5) weighs a ton in comparison, and looks to be absolutely filled with stuff. The chandler is mostly air.

Sounds great when overdriven though. thumbs up
sascha.victoria
Funny how Chandler hides their secrets in that silicone block a la An ARP 2600.
bsmith
Well that's pretty interesting, I have one and hadn't seen it's insides. There is the fact that the external psu is substantial, but still....
I really do love mine for bass and guitar, it is the first stop in the chain for me with electric bass 95% of the time, and then a dbx160a and then in..
Love that thick button, but it's really fucking thick, have knocked it off with using it all the time after getting called on excessive thickage more than once. One thing that is kind of a joke is that the metering is peaked well before it is getting driven tastily, on mine at least...
soundsculptor
attacksustain wrote:

I was amazed by how little was actually inside it though.

http://yfrog.com/gzpmagvj

eek! that could fit in a stompbox. it would be a fine stompbox indeed.

I also don´t get why they don´t make the box smaller. most people will put it in a rack but still it could be half of 19'' so you can put another one and save some rack U. or put the PSU inside the box, I guess it would be possible to still shield it good enough.
ignatius
there is that design philosophy of point to point wiring. the most direct signal path and all that. no need to gum up the works with lot's of stuff. that's the way a lot of people do pre's.

i have an avalon DI and it weighs 5 jillion pounds as well but it does have the PSU inside. all that weight is the PSU i think.
analogsteve
soundsculptor wrote:
I also don´t get why they don´t make the box smaller.

They did make it smaller.

It was available in 500 Series format, but they discontinued it because the power supply in the API lunchbox was just too wimpy. This preamp needs some serious power.
Minimoog56
Silly. Check out the RNC compressor. Just a chip connected to power and pots.
Babaluma
the germ comps also have the important bits hidden inside a plastic box.

i understand wade's desire to deter intellectual property theft, but i do worry for the future of the units if full service documentation is never provided...

the tg2 looks amazing inside, the most beautiful piece of electronic gear guts i have ever seen:

the thermionic culture's pullet guts are also nice:

Hi5
The Empirical Labs boxes actually have the names/numbers of the IC sanded/painted off. With some of these designs being unique I can understand why people would want to protect their ideas from being cloned.
Jarno
Actually, I think those kind of measures are more to cover up the fact that the circuits aren't that innovative at all, and quite often culled from old datasheets and service manuals from the 50's 60's and 70's. Also, inflated prices tend to inspire cloning. I mean, 2kUSD for yet another Pultec clone containing two gain stages, some inductors and signal transformers, come on.
Hi5
This may be the case in some instances but making something like the Pultec is still going to cost you $800 or more if you get the same components(the transformers go for $100 or so alone and that is used). Sure you could get crappy components and spend less but then it really isn't the same thing. Likewise, many of the commercially produced clones improve on the designs to make them less noisy, better responses, etc.. You could surely make your own for less but it takes time and you could always make a brick at the end of the day. Dont get me wrong as I do prefer DIY and will hopefully make a Pultec clone but I can understand why something that cost $800 or more to DIY is $2000 for a professionally produced product with improvements to the design and a warranty.
You could easily say the same thing with modulars too. Something as simple as a Doepfer basic LFO sells for $90 USD new. Maybe there are $5 worth of materials there and I doubt it is an original design. There is a bit more to prices than just material cost.
Jarno
Actually, IMHO opinion Doepfer is an excellent example of prices being directly cost related, instead of inflated and brandmarketing driven. At these prices, especially in europe, it almost doesn't make sense to roll your own. You can debate the originality of their modules, but then again...

Maybe a pultec costs 800usd to produce, if you add 40% for the manufacturer and 20% for the retailer (which are fair margins, IMHO) you end up somewhere in the 1400USD range, any more is just "exclusiveness". And I do think you can build a quality Pultec for less than 800USD, if you are making say hundred of them per annum.
Fair pricing to achieve decent volume, continuous innovation and R&D to launch lots of good quality new products, being in touch with the customer, those are in my opinion the drives behind a succesful firm. I like what Mike Matthews is doing with EHX. I mean, he just keeps on bringing out new pedals, a lot of them are based on his favorite circuits, but there's loads of them that aren't. If someone wants to clone them, they'll will not be able to keep up.

Sorry for the rant, guys
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1