MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

precise continuous controller
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author precise continuous controller
monroe
In terms of musical expression of a monophonic line, what can an Ondes Martenot do that a Haken Continuum can't do? Anything?

(Let's assume for simplicity that they are producing the same timbre.)
meatcliff
continuous slide across entire key range? generate it's own sound?

One is a controller, one is an instrument. You can approximate the the expressions of one with the other, but performance, integration, etc won't exist.
monroe
meatcliff wrote:
continuous slide across entire key range?
Continuum can do that. confused
Quote:
generate it's own sound?
Continuum can do that; it has an internal sound engine. But that's not really the point of my question; I am talking about the expressive possibilities of the method of control.

Quote:
One is a controller, one is an instrument. You can approximate the the expressions of one with the other, but performance, integration, etc won't exist.
Really? Can you explain why you cannot perform the same thing on the Continuum as on an Ondes Martenot? (Ignoring issues of timbre-- it is possible to set them up to control the same timbres.)
ndkent
It depends on precisely which of a large number of details you are after past the generalities. They aren't identical. But if generalized enough, correct, you can play a similar line on one with roughly similar expression though by different means.

The controller vs instrument proposition only holds in that the instrument side of the Continuum is still a work in progress while the Ondes wasn't a controller of anything but it's own sound system. Most updates tend to flesh out the synth engine a little more but it still has a demo sorts of capabilities rather than programmable synth capabilities.

It's worth noting the Continuum has a Y axis of tone control as well as polyphony.
meatcliff
Are you expecting this to be different than your previous thread?

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16403 hmmm.....
mojopin
meatcliff wrote:

I lot of good replies in that thread. I really would love to own a continuum and from what I read doesn't dissuade me at all.

Why pick the FC if you could afford the continuum? If anything, it would be that the FC outputs CV whereas the continuum converts it. I doubt the latency is an issue.
monroe
meatcliff wrote:

Yes it is a never ending struggle Dead Banana
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1