MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

What the hell is this noise?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author What the hell is this noise?
Nelson Baboon
I'm posting it in this forum because I think that it's got to be gear related...

Every couple of minutes or so, there is this strange noise that started appearing just recently. It's hard to describe. If it really starts driving me crazy I'll find my microphone (probably hidden way up my ass or somewhere that's hard to get to) and try to record it somehow. It's not that loud...

If I had to describe it, it almost sounds like a disk drive when it processes a lot of information and makes a vaguely gulping sound. But this doesn't seem to be coming from my mac. It's really hard to place where it's coming from - I can't at all. Fuck.

Help me, Jesus.
dude
we can't see your place drool. can you give us an idea of your surroundings? could it be furnace? could it be circulation fan? amps? neighbors having alien sex? now you have me wondering too. what is it???
meatcliff
does it happen when everything is shut off?
is it related to the furnace being used more often than before the winter, or maybe dishwasher, other hardware like that.

are you sure it isn't the hard drive
hmmm.....
Cybananna
shit, he can hear the implant I put in his brain. Ninja
sduck
It's just static electricity discharge. Nothing to be alarmed about.

Nelson Baboon
dude wrote:
we can't see your place drool. can you give us an idea of your surroundings? could it be furnace? could it be circulation fan? amps? neighbors having alien sex? now you have me wondering too. what is it???

You can't see my place? Well, what the fuck good are you then?

I'm not sure what info I can provide. It doesn't seem like the furnace. The furnace doesn't make that kind of noise (steam heat thing - it makes it's own annoying noise, but this isn't it)

It's just so weird. Sometimes the sound seems to be coming from my old, piece of shit pc (which I never use anymore) but it's turned off.
Nelson Baboon
meatcliff wrote:
does it happen when everything is shut off?
is it related to the furnace being used more often than before the winter, or maybe dishwasher, other hardware like that.

are you sure it isn't the hard drive
hmmm.....

I don't THINK it's the hard drive. I'd have to sit here for awhile with the computer turned off, just staring into space, to prove that. I suppose if this drives me crazy enough, I'll do that. But it seems to me that if it were the mac hard drive it wouldn't be so hard to pinpoint it's direction?
Nelson Baboon
Cybananna wrote:
shit, he can hear the implant I put in his brain. Ninja

Hah - I tricked you into revealing your plan. Good thing I have surgical tools here.
Cybananna
foiled again!

and I assume this won't be the first time you've used them...
Nelson Baboon
fuck. It is the disk. I can't find the system disk. I'm screwed. I have a feeling it's a hardware problem. I'm going to lose everything....

Checking catalog file.
Missing thread record (id = 2340706)
Incorrect number of thread records
Checking multi-linked files.
Checking catalog hierarchy.
Invalid volume directory count
(It should be 180248 instead of 180249)
Checking extended attributes file.
Checking volume bitmap.
Checking volume information.
The volume Macintosh HD was found corrupt and needs to be repaired.
Error: This disk needs to be repaired. Start up your computer with another disk (such as your Mac OS X installation disc), and then use Disk Utility to repair this disk.
Corbeau
Pipes in the walls can make some pretty fucking weird noises. In one of my old dorms, there were some pipes that would make noises that sounded like the neighbors were having violent sex. I woke to that sound in horror one morning, trying to figure out if I was really hearing what I thought I was hearing...

Took me a few days to figure that one out.

*edit: sounds like you found the source...and that fucking blows. Sorry to hear that :(
Nelson Baboon
found the snow leopard disks. The mac pro didn't boot up at all from my leopard disks which is all I could find initially...

the snow leopard disks were labeled by Apple, 'Everything Else' which is very helpful indeed.

Booted from those and ran the disk utility, repaired the disk and it tells me that things are ok now.

That was scary. I'm not convinced that it's all ok now....if anyone might have some insight into this - how a software problem would cause weird sounds...or maybe there is a bad area on the disk and it's now marked bad or something? I'm still hearing the noises. Fuck.
Nelson Baboon
wow - then I ran 'repair permissions' and there was TONS of stuff - seemingly mostly to do with the airport utility. I'm in over my head here...
Nelson Baboon
repaired permissions. Repaired disks. Still weird noises that seem directionless. Ok. I think I'll just turn off the computer and sit here in the dark. Hold me.
Cybananna
go pick up a copy of disk warrior. It seems to fix any problem I have. If it is mechanical hard drive problems, won't help, nothing will (will take care of bad sector type stuff). If it is software related, disk warrior has worked much better for me than the apple utilities. I think software problems can cause noise problems, like if it keeps skipping back and forth trying to do something. Not exactly sure what goes on there.

DW defrags and repairs much more deeply than apples utility. I've used it for years.
Nelson Baboon
disk warrior sucks. I hate those people. On my old mac, I had a hard disk that ran into issues. I purchased disk warrior. It didn't help. they wouldn't refund my money and they were borderline rude, and extremely unhelpful. I will never deal with them again. One of the worst companies that it has ever been my pleasure to deal with.

BUT - I just turned off the computer and I still got the noise. So - I think that this is one of those cases where there are 2 totally independent things going on. I have this weird noise, AND I had a computer disk issue. It seems like the disk issue (which was in its incipient stage) was fixed. But the noise had nothing to do with it.

Reality itself is fucking with me. My god, we're all going to die.
itijik
My air conditioner made this faint little whisper of a sound from the vent in my music room. It drove me nuts, since it would come and go.
After plunging various sharp objects into my ears, the noise went away. So I figured it was more of an ear problem than anything else.
Nelson Baboon
Can you please try that again? I suspect that this is your ears acting up again.
itijik
Sure, couldn't hurt to try hihi
Nelson Baboon
Well, it might hurt, but pain is good.
attacksustain
take a trip to the genius bar. you know you want to. Dead Banana

is it still in warranty?

I'd recommend picking up a usb or firewire disk, and backing up everything you want to keep asap. Especially if warranty repairs are in your future. I know someone who sent a macbook away. they replaced the disk, but sent it back with none of the data from the original disk (which they kept).
Nelson Baboon
still in warranty - but given that the noise has nothing to do with the issue, I'm not sure that the disk is in any danger.

I think I probably have enough disk space on my other 1 tb drive to make a complete backup there, and buying a 2 tb seems to be more reasonable than ever before.

But I haven't had any disk problems. The disk checked out with some errors, but they see fixed now. Do these first time errors generally point to a hardware problem?
attacksustain
Nelson Baboon wrote:
still in warranty - but given that the noise has nothing to do with the issue, I'm not sure that the disk is in any danger.

I think I probably have enough disk space on my other 1 tb drive to make a complete backup there, and buying a 2 tb seems to be more reasonable than ever before.

But I haven't had any disk problems. The disk checked out with some errors, but they see fixed now. Do these first time errors generally point to a hardware problem?

tbh, every time I run that 'fix permissions' thing it picks up something or other. I don't know what keeps mangling them, but I suspect buggy software more than bad hardware.
Nelson Baboon
I think that in snow leopard some of the stuff you get is to be expected - the stuff you get every time you run it, and is never fixed. this time, I got tons of stuff I've never seen before.
chando
This reminds me of why l love not using computers for music...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2